Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/28/2016, 11:42 PM   #1
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Amphiprion Percula Home Breeding

I'm a big fan of true percula clownfish and this thread is dedicated to my breeding attempt of Amphiprion Percula clowns. The photos below show the male and female. Both are wild caught. The video after shows my first attempt at raising their fry. The babies hatched just over an hour ago. Any breeding tips will be greatly appreciated.
Male photo:

Female photo:

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2016, 11:44 PM   #2
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

The babies:

Unread 08/29/2016, 12:01 AM   #3
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Only 90 mins has passed and the majority of them are laying on the bottom either dead or dying. Only a few are swimming normally
However, I didn't expect to succeed the first time.
I think the air flow was too strong and many clowns were kinda bouncing around. So I lowered it a little.

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 08/29/2016 at 12:16 AM.
Unread 08/29/2016, 05:04 AM   #4
OrionN
Moved on

If it is not an adjustable air cow you can raise it up to near the top

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2016, 05:06 AM   #5
OrionN
Moved on

It is very important that the water chemistry and temp stay the same. I use the water from the brood tank for the hatch tank 100%

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 08/29/2016, 08:36 AM   #6
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
If it is not an adjustable air cow you can raise it up to near the top
Quote:
It is very important that the water chemistry and temp stay the same. I use the water from the brood tank for the hatch tank 100%
Thank you
Everything is ok this morning. I used 80% water from main reef tank with broodstock and 20% clean water. The air is adjustable. The fry seem to be a little more balanced and swims less neurotically. About 30-35% of them are hanging out by left and right side aquarium glass. The rest are in between.
Almost all, if not all, have silver stomachs. I read it means they are eating rotifers.

Unread 08/29/2016, 09:01 AM   #7
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Pics from this morning
1. Top down view of right side of the tank. Clownfish fry can be seen towards the bottom of the picture hanging out on aquarium glass.

2. "FTS"

Unread 08/29/2016, 09:28 AM   #8
D-Nak
Registered Member

Did you tint the water? It helps to keep the babies off of the glass (and could help to prevent flat faces in the process, but that's anecdotal). Have fun!

Unread 08/29/2016, 09:40 AM   #9
OrionN
Moved on

I completely cover the tank during hatch night. They hatch better in complete darkness

Unread 08/29/2016, 09:48 AM   #10
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
Did you tint the water? It helps to keep the babies off of the glass (and could help to prevent flat faces in the process, but that's anecdotal). Have fun!
Thanks. I haven't tinted the water. I was going to use RG complete to do it but online search results including posts by Reed showed that RG complete shouldn't be used as greenwater. I'm debating whether or not Rotigrow Omega is worth the investment at this point.

Unread 08/29/2016, 09:49 AM   #11
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
I completely cover the tank during hatch night. They hatch better in complete darkness
thanks. I'll be more patient next time and will wait out as long as possible at hatch night.

Unread 08/29/2016, 12:49 PM   #12
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
Thanks. I haven't tinted the water. I was going to use RG complete to do it but online search results including posts by Reed showed that RG complete shouldn't be used as greenwater. I'm debating whether or not Rotigrow Omega is worth the investment at this point.
Many people use RGCompete to tint, and it does what it's supposed to. I thought I remember reading that Reed said it was okay to use but that there were better options (Omega, as you mentioned). I know that greenwater is supposed to help the babies see their prey and keeps them from bumping into the walls. My goal was always to avoid fish with flat faces. When I used RGComplete for tinting, I had 0 flat faces, but did have misbars.

I've since switched to Rotigrow Plus + Rotigrow Omega for tinting. I can see a difference in terms of the rotifer buckets being cleaner, but production seems a bit less than when using RGComplete. I have one test bucket with RGComplete and two with Rotigrow Plus so the test isn't very scientific. Only time will tell if I can see a big difference in the fish.

Unread 08/29/2016, 04:41 PM   #13
president89
Registered Member

I like rotigrow omega because it provides the HUFA required for healthy babies. Without enriching the rotifers with that, your fish won't turn out so well. Google Pickle's guide to clownfish and it'll tell you everything you want to know.

1. Paint all sides of the tank black - or 3 sides and get a black door for viewing.
2. Tint with rotigrow omega
3. Air should be from soft to moderate - I put the stones on one end, so the babies can escape the turbulence.
4. Do 50% or MORE water changes daily to keep water quality up
5. Use an ammonia detoxifier
6. Use an ammonia alert badge
7. Don't add in a sponge filter until the fish are off rotifers - the nitrifying bateria will compete with the rotifers.
6. If you keep the lights on for 24 hours from hatch to Meta, they will grow faster. Not required, but it works.
7. Percula grow much slower than Ocellaris, so don't be alarmed if you see your fish growing slower than someone's Ocellaris

That's all I have for now.

president89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2016, 06:08 PM   #14
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by president89 View Post
Google Pickle's guide to clownfish and it'll tell you everything you want to know.
Thanks, I'm familiar with his write up on clownfish rearing.

Unread 08/30/2016, 02:11 PM   #15
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Does anybody here use probiotics for their clownfish fry diet?

Unread 08/30/2016, 02:20 PM   #16
president89
Registered Member

Yes, they are in Larry's reef fertility frenzy

Unread 08/30/2016, 02:37 PM   #17
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, they are in Larry's reef fertility frenzy
This is what I feed to the parents. Though the texture of the food is smaller than normal LRS blends and held together with gelatin, I think it's way too big to feed to fry.

Unread 08/30/2016, 02:42 PM   #18
president89
Registered Member

I think you mean leave. Fry is a live-bearer term. I feed to babies 30 days old. They eat it, much of it falls to the tank floor.

Unread 08/30/2016, 05:27 PM   #19
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Quote:
I think you mean leave. Fry is a live-bearer term. I feed to babies 30 days old. They eat it, much of it falls to the tank floor.
AND... I guess you meant larvae

That is a beautiful Percula pair. I'm looking forward to seeing the babies grow out.

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2016, 05:38 PM   #20
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes that's what I mean, larvae. I read an Advanced Aquarist article that said probiotics increase health and growth in larval clownfish. So my next question was going to be where one can get Lactobacillus rhamnosus probiotic and feeding instructions, both to rotifer culture and larvae..if anyone knows and willing to share the information.

Unread 08/30/2016, 05:38 PM   #21
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkuhlmann View Post

That is a beautiful Percula pair. I'm looking forward to seeing the babies grow out.

Unread 08/30/2016, 05:46 PM   #22
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
way too big to feed to fry.
Yup, I am very familiar with LRS Who Is Your Daddy blend LOL...My clowns loved it.

Unread 08/30/2016, 09:30 PM   #23
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Nothing much to update. I had some major losses yesterday (25) and a small one today (4).
I've noticed that my broodstock takes about a day or two longer to lay eggs when I pull the pot and replace it with a new one. When the pot stays and the babies hatch inside the tank the pair lays either the next day or two at the longest. So far no eggs today (2 days post hatch) but should be laying again tomorrow or Thursday. Here's a video of the babies from today.

Unread 08/30/2016, 10:37 PM   #24
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Interesting observation:
I tore down the side walls tonight like Gorbachev and the clowns stopped hanging out there. For my next attempt to breed I am going to remove black background paper shortly after hatching.

Unread 08/31/2016, 06:52 AM   #25
president89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
Interesting observation:
I tore down the side walls tonight like Gorbachev and the clowns stopped hanging out there. For my next attempt to breed I am going to remove black background paper shortly after hatching.
I would advise you against that. Black painted walls with tinted water will keep the fish off the walls. If you have already tinted and have black painted walls then you aren't tinting enough. This experiment was outlined in Frank Hoff's book. I've tried without painted walls and my survival rate was dismal.