Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/07/2019, 07:01 PM   #1
fltekdiver
Registered Member

Setting up QT tank, questions on start up and treatment

Hello

I lost all my fish in my DT within 10 days, not sure what happened, bought a Yellow tang that was scratching, treated the tank 2 times with PraziPro and after the 2nd treatment lost 5 fish except for one that last another 2 weeks, then lost him. Tank was only set up for 5 months now.

So I been fishless and ghost feeding my DT tank for 3 weeks now.

I set up a 29G QT tank over a week ago, added a sock from my sump from my DT tank and a rock to kick start the cycle. A week later I still have no ammonia or Nitrite levels?

Next question is, I has a small power 20 HOB filter, if I remove the sock during treatment, where will the nitrifying bacteria live? I was going to remove the rock and sock, but I can leave the rock to help with the bacteria

Next question is, I was going to leave the DT tank fishless for 6-8 weeks, and start a pair of clowns in the QT this week, and run them through 2 shots of Prazipro, and then cupramine for a total of 6 weeks in the Qt tank , that sound right?

I'm also leaving the QT tank Sg at 1.024 , that is what I run my DT tank at.

If I don't see a cycle in the QT in the next day or two, I'm going to grab the clowns and I bought a bottle of Instant Ocean Nitrifying bacteria I was going to add in with the clowns this week to get them started on treatment next week after I get them eating.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thank you I been in the hobby on and off for 10+ years, and just got back in 4 months ago, and lost all my fish all ready, ugh !

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191006_210717.jpg (57.4 KB, 17 views)
Ice Cap 3K Gyre - Started up 8/13/19

Last edited by fltekdiver; 10/07/2019 at 07:08 PM.
fltekdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2019, 07:50 PM   #2
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Tangs are well known for diseases as they stress out probably far easier then most any other fish. All Tangs need QT before being introduced in a DT always if at all possible.
Need to know more info about the DT, 5 months is enough time for a fish or two but..............depending on" what other fish you had "could have been an ammonia or nitrite issue so really need to know exactly what all the fish were, and how they were introduced ....as in all at one time, or 1 a month etc. Bacteria take time to grow, may have over populated the tank stressing everything in an immature tank. At this point doubt id be concerning so much over a QT tank & focus on the DT first & get it straightened out since the fish are history already. I know when my DT was cycled i only ever added 1 fish a month period 1st yr. to allow bacteria to catch up. That 1st yr. was full of ups & downs even than until it stabilized.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2019, 08:47 AM   #3
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Your fish probably suffocated in the DT due to the Prazi since it depletes O2 in the water significantly. If you used stuff from Dt to seed the QT whatever it was that the last fish had, now your QT has. Did you ever verify that it was flukes?

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2019, 02:54 PM   #4
fltekdiver
Registered Member

Sorry I never got a email saying there was a reply?

I waited about a month, to add each fish. I had a damsel , then 2 clowns, then a 6 line wrassee, and last the yellow tang was added.

It was after the 2nd dose of prazi pro I started to loose everything.

I couldn't see the flukes, but the tang was scratching all over the sand and rocks.

I had 0 ammonia, nitrite, and less then 5ppm nitrate when I lost everything.

The DT has been fish less now about 3-4 weeks.

I have a pair of clowns in the QT, but I did add 2 pairs of socks to the QT tank to cycle the QT tank

The clowns have been in there since Saturday, and I figured I'd give them a week or so, get them eatting and not stress from the move , then treat the QT tank with Prazipro
Once and let them stay in QT for a total about 4 weeks, with one treatment of prazipro , and just watch and observe them

Thanks for the help

Ice Cap 3K Gyre - Started up 8/13/19
fltekdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2019, 06:37 PM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Scratching indicates more ich (Cryptocaryon) and velvet (Amyloodinium) than flukes.
Of all parasites I have come across, ich seems to be the most common, followed by velvet, Brooklynella (with anemonefish), and Uronema (with Chromis).
Flukes seem to be much less common (seems most kind of flukes are far more sensitive to copper than the other parasites).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote