Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/09/2017, 06:33 PM   #1
yraveh
Registered Member

What to feed anthias

Good evening.

I have - Lyretail, Squareback and Resplendent Anthias.

I need an advice from experiencedreefer, what dry (for automatic feeder) and frozen food do they eat. So far they mainly eat mysis shrips. maybe flakes.

Current Tank Info: 120g
yraveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 09:47 PM   #2
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Lyretail should take to pellets and perhaps flakes; square and resplendent probably won't (mine never have).

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 12:21 AM   #3
Tripod1404
Registered Member

My lyretails and barlets eat flakes. Pictilis (a large anthias like squareback) sometimes eat flakes but mostly prefer mysis.

In your case, those are 3 anthias species that have significant size difference. With that much of size difference, it is hard to find a single type of food all 3 would eat.

Lyretails and resplendent might eat calan-eeze. For squareback, maybe freeze dried mysis. You can try mixing these two food and use a auto-feeder. But the issue is, these foods would not readily sink. They will just float over the water and will be removed by the overflow. You can try to autofeed to the return pump section of the sump. That way the food will be blown to the tank when it sinks. Or you can use a feeding ring.

Also why do you need an autofeeder. You can feed 3 times a day (even 2 after anthias get used to eating bigger meals) and that would be sufficient. I used to feed the tank in the morning before I leave for work, one time more after I arrive and one more time 10-15 mins before the light turn off. After 3 months or so, I reduced two feedings in the evenings to one and anthias is okay with it. Pictilis actually only eats once a day (which is relatively okay for larger anthias species).

Last edited by Tripod1404; 12/10/2017 at 12:27 AM.
Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 07:07 AM   #4
monkeysee1
Registered Member

Mine love Rod's Food, mysis, caviar and Mega Marine Angel; they don't touch pellets or flakes.

monkeysee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 11:15 AM   #5
ROB2005
Reefing Is My Passion!

My lyretail anthias goes crazy over Larry's Food. When he knows its feeding time, he waits in his favorite corner.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon corner overflow, 4-54W T-5 , dozen blue hermits, tiger pistol/yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, banghai and pajama cardinals
ROB2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 07:47 PM   #6
yraveh
Registered Member

not sure whats Larry's food is.

Current Tank Info: 120g
yraveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 10:10 PM   #7
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB2005 View Post
My lyretail anthias goes crazy over Larry's Food. When he knows its feeding time, he waits in his favorite corner.
If you're talking about LRS "Reef Frenzy etc" I can see why the critter goes crazy.

I've been using that stuff for while, and that's the best fish food I've seen.

I used to make my own food for fish, but LRS is a helluva lot better than anything I ever made.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 01:06 PM   #8
C.Eymann
Cnidaria lover

I like taking blocks of PE mysis to a cheese grater to get it down to acceptable size for Anthias, seems the more picky species will take it more readily, also like using cyclops and fish eggs.
As far as getting Anthias to take pellets and flakes, like mentioned some species will take to dry food easier than others, offering a mix of both frozen and dry starting off seems to help them transition easier.

Current Tank Info: 80gal build in the works
C.Eymann is offline   Reply With Quote