Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2019, 07:04 AM   #1
Prairie Reef
Registered Member

Big tank... short arms.

I’m deciding on tank dimensions right now. Trying to decide between:

84x30x24=260g
84x36x24 =300g (want this for aquascape/aesthetic reasons)

Neither of these can I reach the back wall. That’s making me a little nervous. I had a 75g Franken-tank that was such a PITA for maintenance that It became a chore. I’d like this tank to be easy/no brainer maintenance. Don’t mind taking time to work on it - I just want it to be comfortable and pleasurable to tinker with.

Looking for practical real-world experience on handling inside the tank maintenance on large tanks. What tank designs, space allowances, or equipment help you manage your bigger than arm length tanks?

If you could do it over, what would you do different?

Do you regret the decision for a large tank (I.e. - do you wish you could go back to a 180ish gallon?)

TIA

Unread 01/24/2019, 09:52 PM   #2
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Having large footprint tanks I like to be able to access from all sides, that helps alleviate the reaching issue a bit. I get that's not always an option, but having a stool (or some method) to get you higher so you can reach over the tank with your body before putting your arm into the tank. Depending upon the quality of the tank, some support structure to lean on while on the tank.

Unread 01/30/2019, 10:02 PM   #3
d-man
Registered Member

Long tongs.

I have an 8x4x4. Trust me, I’m not stretch Armstrong. I do have to get into my tank to mount corals. I wait til I have about 20 then mount. But it’s a new tank, so I have room. Other than that I have 36” long tongs to move things or pick things up

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2019, 06:21 AM   #4
Prairie Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsuphysics View Post
Having large footprint tanks I like to be able to access from all sides,

... but having a stool (or some method) to get you higher so you can reach over the tank with your body...

...Depending upon the quality of the tank, some support structure to lean on while on the tank.

I’ll have access to two sides... I’ll get an L bench for this sides. It’s going to be right next to the garage so should be easily stored/placed and let me walk around the tank.

Hoping for AGE or Miracles at the moment. Waiting on a quote from planet aquariums. I might feel comfortable leaning over the AGE steel rim.

Unread 01/31/2019, 06:23 AM   #5
Prairie Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-man View Post
Long tongs.

I have an 8x4x4. Trust me, I’m not stretch Armstrong. I do have to get into my tank to mount corals. I wait til I have about 20 then mount. But it’s a new tank, so I have room. Other than that I have 36” long tongs to move things or pick things up

I thought about a long handle scraper but tongs! Yeah. I’ll start keeping an eye out. That’s an amazing tank dimension btw. Do you have a picture?

Unread 01/31/2019, 07:38 AM   #6
lapin
Registered Member

My tank is 5x5x3. Outside corner. The back corner is in the tank room, From those 2 sides I have a platform so I can lean over the tank. It has a full top with cut outs. Strong enough for me to lay on the top while putting 30lbs rocks in the tank. Ya that was fun. Even leaned over I can not reach the bottom. I use tools. Wish it was easier? Yes. Regret the size? No. I have left a lot of rock and sand maintaince to the critters in my tank. Big magnet for the sides. Long gravel vac on a pole if they need help. I also have a giant turkey baster which i use often.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2019, 07:42 AM   #7
Prairie Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapin View Post
My tank is 5x5x3. Outside corner. The back corner is in the tank room, From those 2 sides I have a platform so I can lean over the tank. It has a full top with cut outs. Strong enough for me to lay on the top while putting 30lbs rocks in the tank. Ya that was fun. Even leaned over I can not reach the bottom. I use tools. Wish it was easier? Yes. Regret the size? No. I have left a lot of rock and sand maintaince to the critters in my tank. Big magnet for the sides. Long gravel vac on a pole if they need help. I also have a giant turkey baster which i use often.

Glad to hear you don’t regret the size. I keep having moments where I wonder if my sanity should be questioned. I believe I have fairly rational reasons for all the dimensions on the tank; however, I get nervous sometimes that I am building a white elephant!

Unread 01/31/2019, 08:28 AM   #8
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Reef View Post
Glad to hear you don’t regret the size. I keep having moments where I wonder if my sanity should be questioned. I believe I have fairly rational reasons for all the dimensions on the tank; however, I get nervous sometimes that I am building a white elephant!
Here is my thinkin.
If ya want a pristine tank, dont make it hard to reach anything or remove anything.
I knew I was not going to be able to have a pristine tank, just because of who I am. I dont mind some hair, bubble, cyano ect... In time it will all level out. If some stays thats fine. As long as I can see in, land my fish and coral are happy, Im happy with it.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2019, 09:01 PM   #9
d-man
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Reef View Post
I thought about a long handle scraper but tongs! Yeah. I’ll start keeping an eye out. That’s an amazing tank dimension btw. Do you have a picture?
I have plenty of pictures but I’m a tech moron and can’t post on here for some reason.
No, I don’t have some host site. They are all on my phone not downloaded to a computer or anything

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote