Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/17/2019, 02:32 AM   #1
Ngallagherg
Registered Member

Bulkhead leaking?

Hi, this is my first pre-drilled aquarium with a sump, I hired someone to set up everything for me and Ive noticed lately that theres a growing amount of salt creep underneath the tank around the bulkhead. Im a worried as I want to avoid a catastrophe since I live in an apt and not my own house.
Is this amount normal? Is any amount normal? I feel like I just noticed a small amount a month ago and havent wiped it since, so im not sure if its just accumulation or if theres a bigger leak, the tank has been set up since august.

Ngallagherg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2019, 02:32 AM   #2
Ngallagherg
Registered Member

Uhh, I guess the photo didnt work, Im on mobile, but heres a link, https://imgur.com/a/N86yDdM

Unread 02/17/2019, 06:47 AM   #3
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

There shouldn't be any salt creep around a bulkhead.

The first thing you'd want to check is if the bulkhead was installed properly. Here's a BRS video that explains proper installation.

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2019, 08:33 AM   #4
Ngallagherg
Registered Member

Damn, unfortunately I wasnt really watching the guy do it, would you possibly know what i would need to do to fix this?

Unread 02/17/2019, 09:24 AM   #5
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

Without seeing it in person, I'd just be making guesses. You'll want to watch the video, since it will tell you the correct installation procedure (where the gasket goes, for example).

Then you can inspect your tank and decide if it was done correctly, whether the gasket is damaged, etc...

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2019, 09:40 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

If its in a spot where its going to just leak into the sump its really not that big of a deal to fix...If not..redo it with proper gasket/thread sealant paste and tightness..