Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2012, 03:39 PM   #1
raulruiz912
Registered Member

Question planning a build but some questions poped up

So I was looking at doing a 150 display with a 75 sump, but it would be in my garage, standard garage two car, but in Arizona's summer heat has me second guesing myself. Has anyone done one or heard someone who has, if so good or bad. I have no room inside my house my little one is in love with throwing thing downstairs and toilets. Thanks for the help. I just don't wanna mess up.

Unread 04/21/2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Tschupe
Registered Member

Put a small AC unit in the garage.

Current Tank Info: 29 biocube. Rkl with alc. mp-10. DIY CREE LEDs. Tunze 9002. 10 gallon with kessil 150 ocean blue
Tschupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 03:45 PM   #3
raulruiz912
Registered Member

i was thinking about that or a chiller but would it be enough

Unread 04/21/2012, 03:47 PM   #4
dww1188
Registered Member

A chiller would be better. But are you concerned with your electrical bill increasing?

dww1188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 03:49 PM   #5
raulruiz912
Registered Member

that plays a part but more worried about it having a stable temp without many BIG dips in temp

Unread 04/21/2012, 04:47 PM   #6
reefstew
Registered Member

AC in the garage will cost to much. They do not insulate exterior walls & ceilings. If you have enough room build a small room in the garage with a door & insulate it.

reefstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 04:57 PM   #7
raulruiz912
Registered Member

i was thinking a chiller and celling fans and maybe a fan or two

Unread 04/21/2012, 05:17 PM   #8
dww1188
Registered Member

I think if you stuck it on an interior wall and got a big enough chiller you would be ok.

dww1188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 05:33 PM   #9
thor109
Registered Member.

You would have to insulate it and add an a/c unit. There is no other economical way. A chiller that big would cost to much to run. And how much time would to spend out there watching your tank if not cooled. The winter would be just as bad.

thor109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 08:58 PM   #10
raulruiz912
Registered Member

Ok so that looks like a no go go then.

Unread 04/22/2012, 04:44 AM   #11
NakedClown
Registered Member

I forget who i got my pfo pendant off of, but the tank was in the garage. Cant remember the setup for cooling though

NakedClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 08:19 AM   #12
Weyrman
Registered Member

I bought a 240 from someone who had it mounted on a wall. It was flush on the inside room wall. It was propped up on the garage side where it had 2 metal halides lighting it. No cover. No chiller. He used fans.

His garage was on the east side of the house. Not sure if that would have kept it a bit cooler than if it was on the west side.

I'm not sure but it may have been a fish only tank as I didn't see much rock at all.

I'm actually contemplating doing the same thing. I have already been thinking of putting AC in the garage. I work on cars and projects in there and it gets pretty unbearable in the summer.

Since it wouldn't be viewed much at all from the garage side I'd insulate the glass sides and bottom. Should be easy enough to get 3 or 4 inch styrofoam or something similar and attach it to the tank. Same for the sump cabinet.

I haven't thought much further about it for awhile as I have other projects upstream from doing something like this. But I'll keep watching your for build decissions.

Weyrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2012, 06:03 PM   #13
raulruiz912
Registered Member

Ok so by accidentaly pushing the weights towards the wall, busted a hole in the wall and found out the garage is insulated!!! That's a plus now to fix the hole.

Unread 04/25/2012, 06:05 PM   #14
kingevil
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulruiz912 View Post
Ok so by accidentaly pushing the weights towards the wall, busted a hole in the wall and found out the garage is insulated!!! That's a plus now to fix the hole.
put the tank in front of it.

kingevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2012, 06:29 PM   #15
raulruiz912
Registered Member

i would but its the wrong side of the garage.

Unread 04/25/2012, 06:38 PM   #16
JMCAquarium
They are among us!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefstew View Post
AC in the garage will cost to much. They do not insulate exterior walls & ceilings. If you have enough room build a small room in the garage with a door & insulate it.
I agree with this wall off half the garage and insulate it well for the main body of water. the rest of it can stay in the garage as it wont really matter much. like changing buckets, tools and equipment. Good luck

Jonathan/JC

Current Tank Info: 55 Gallon Angels,
JMCAquarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2012, 09:21 PM   #17
reefstew
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulruiz912 View Post
That was probably the wall which backs up to the living space. Now go in the garage & punch a hole in the EXTERIOR wall. That's where their is probably no insulation.

reefstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2012, 09:52 PM   #18
raulruiz912
Registered Member

Curiosity got the best of me all three walls including the garage door are insulated. Except for the three holes that have to be covered.. so I will proceed with The build

Unread 04/25/2012, 10:29 PM   #19
NaClH20NMYVEIN
Red Dragons!

Unless you have the tank in its own room in the garage be ready for eveything in the garage to start to rust in a few months. I know first hand.

Current Tank Info: Pacific Ocean
NaClH20NMYVEIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2012, 10:43 PM   #20
sedor
Registered Member

The walls might be insulated but the garage door is not. That being said, my garage isn't insulated and I don't notice a whole lots of temperature variations. Even when its really cold or hot, the garage seems to stay pretty normal. An A/C unit (as I think you already understand) won't work. You would have to vent the unit outside the garage somehow and it would be sucking energy tremendously without a fully insulated garage. You can also buy insulating foam for your garage door. Its basically big foam stickers in pieces that you attach to each section of the door so its still operational. A chiller is definitely your best bet and if you are going to house sensitive livestock, I would recommend getting one. Its gonna cost you though...

If it were me, i'd put the tank in the house and teach my child not to throw things at or in it. You can do your best at childproofing the cabinet doors and stuff so hopefully nothing bad will happen. Not to mention, then the rest of your family will get to enjoy it as well.

Unread 04/25/2012, 11:05 PM   #21
OwenInAZ
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClH20NMYVEIN View Post
Unless you have the tank in its own room in the garage be ready for eveything in the garage to start to rust in a few months. I know first hand.
Seems to me that car exhaust, etc will get into your tank. I know I do a lot of work out there, and I don't know how much mineral spirits I want in my tank...

Also, it was mentioned to childproof the cabinet. I know nothing is child "proof" but some latches that make it difficult for the chillens to get into the stand might work better than a large plumbing project. Cheaper, too.

"Ree... cy... cling?"

"One day it's a bowl full of cherries, one night I'm suckin' on lemons and spittin' out the seeds"

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon tall reef
OwenInAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2012, 01:42 AM   #22
aquainas
Registered Member

If you really want to do as planned check my build thread...not cheap but the only way to do it without paying to cool the entire garage.

Current Tank Info: In-wall 240 Main display|MSX300|MP40W's|Radiums|Ecoxotic|Apex|Constant water change via LiterMeter III R.I.P
aquainas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2012, 02:07 AM   #23
briankmarsh1980
I'm a member of **!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquainas View Post
if you really

want to do as planned check my build thread...not cheap but the only way to do it without paying to cool the entire garage.
+1

210 gallons with stuff!!!!!!!
briankmarsh1980 is offline   Reply With Quote