Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/26/2017, 10:03 AM   #26
L8Braker
Registered Member

The clowns will eventually kill a torch if they start hosting in it, so keep that in mind.

L8Braker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 10:43 AM   #27
MMacro
Registered Member

As mentioned above Heteractis magnifica would get too large for your tank. With proper lighting and frequent water changes it is entirely possible to keep a bubble tip or rock flower in a 20 gallon given that there are no corals in the tank for it to sting.

Unread 05/26/2017, 11:14 AM   #28
Jadams
Registered Member

IMO (as stated earlier in this thread) there's no problem with keeping anem in a nano. But best to add it first, so it can find its spot and stay for a month or so without moving before adding anything else. GL either way!

Unread 05/26/2017, 12:35 PM   #29
NYCBOB
Registered Member

Keeping a bta in a nano of 20 gallon is fine. Having a mature system helps a lot.

NYCBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 12:55 PM   #30
Christian H
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana A View Post
uummmm The anemone splits when it feels it is in danger. ie: bad water conditions or more likely not enough food. It splits when signs are bad as a defense because twos smaller ones have a better chance of surviving than one bigger one.

but what do i know, I'm just a girl

Removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by BrianD; 05/26/2017 at 01:25 PM.
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 01:26 PM   #31
BrianD
Sir Brian The Lenient

Let's stay on topic and chill a bit.

Current Tank Info: Empty
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 04:40 PM   #32
jstack
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebeknob View Post
Wanting to do a office desktop nano. 20 gallon max.
I want to keep it simple and have lots of movement, hence the question. I'd like to have a couple torches or a couple anemones and a pair of clowns and a shrimp.

So what would you do? Do a torch or an anemone?

Why not both in a 20g should be fine. My btas touch my Euphyllias all the time never have any bad interactions, btas have a mild sting both my wall hammers pack a stronger punch and have held thier own ground when challenged. Would not do a shrimp with Torch or bta they love to pester. smaller the tank the more they will hover perch and clean all day grrrrrr
I will say out of the 2 the torch will be the harder to keep I find it funny but many can't keep these guys long.

jstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 08:51 PM   #33
Mebeknob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstack View Post
Would not do a shrimp with Torch or bta they love to pester. smaller the tank the more they will hover perch and clean all day grrrrrr

I will say out of the 2 the torch will be the harder to keep I find it funny but many can't keep these guys long.

Good thought about the shrimp. Maybe wait till they have grown out enough and not single headed frags.

I may try both. Why not right??

Mebeknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2017, 05:13 PM   #34
boombox3
Registered Member

I have a rbta thats been quite happy for about 9 years in a 29 gallon with a pair of clowns. I feel an anemone wouldnt have a problem with this size tank i would make sure you buy a auto top off to prevent too much water evaporation. Also try to limit your fish with this size tank. My clowns can get territorial if fish are too near the anemone. Bought a torch but it died on me dunno why. I do a 20% water change every 2 weeks or so and throw in the back some new filter floss every 3-4 days with some chemipure elite. With such a small tank i wouldnt stir up the sand too much. Rather buy a good clean up crew that will do it for you. Hope this helps. Enjoy that anemone!

boombox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2017, 07:32 PM   #35
Mebeknob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox3 View Post
I have a rbta thats been quite happy for about 9 years in a 29 gallon with a pair of clowns. I feel an anemone wouldnt have a problem with this size tank i would make sure you buy a auto top off to prevent too much water evaporation. Also try to limit your fish with this size tank. My clowns can get territorial if fish are too near the anemone. Bought a torch but it died on me dunno why. I do a 20% water change every 2 weeks or so and throw in the back some new filter floss every 3-4 days with some chemipure elite. With such a small tank i wouldnt stir up the sand too much. Rather buy a good clean up crew that will do it for you. Hope this helps. Enjoy that anemone!

Yeah it seems a toss up which one to go with! Thanks for the advice.

Unread 05/27/2017, 07:52 PM   #36
CleanReef
Registered Member

I've had a rbta in a 16g nuvo for 2.5 years. The last water change I did was around 20 months ago. It has split 2 times in 2.5 years. My water quality is choice according to any lfs.

free ssl image hosting

CleanReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2017, 07:53 PM   #37
CleanReef
Registered Member

Sorry, no preview on quick reply. Hope this works.

20170216_113417
free ssl image hosting

Unread 05/27/2017, 10:41 PM   #38
LX20000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanReef View Post
I've had a rbta in a 16g nuvo for 2.5 years. The last water change I did was around 20 months ago. It has split 2 times in 2.5 years. My water quality is choice according to any lfs.

free ssl image hosting
Wow...no water changes? Running skimmer? Which one? What media do you run?

LX20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2017, 10:27 AM   #39
Mebeknob
Registered Member

Quote:

I loved 16 Nuvo tank! It's the perfect office desk tank. I was planning on doing the Nuvo 10 or 20 in my office.

Do you have this at work with you?

Unread 05/28/2017, 02:08 PM   #40
CleanReef
Registered Member

I do still have this tank set up on my desk at work. I also live in Colorado. Nuvo tanks are great!

As for the other question, in my experience nobody really cares to know how to go without water changes. I think it's a thing where they want to dedicate time to the hobby. I put a lot of time into my home tank, but didn't want to deal with maintenance at work. No skimmer, just carbon.

Unread 05/28/2017, 03:30 PM   #41
brett559
In Memoriam

I tried a rose BTA in my 42g. It kept moving around, stresses me out. When it was on the move I got it out and sold it to another Reefer. I've had good success with Duncans and frogspawn in my tank. I've found those two easier than torches. Never had luck with those.

brett559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 09:13 AM   #42
Mebeknob
Registered Member

Quote:
I do still have this tank set up on my desk at work. I also live in Colorado. Nuvo tanks are great!

As for the other question, in my experience nobody really cares to know how to go without water changes. I think it's a thing where they want to dedicate time to the hobby. I put a lot of time into my home tank, but didn't want to deal with maintenance at work. No skimmer, just carbon.

At some point I'll move back to CO. Grew up there but currently working in AZ. I've had success with nanos and no skimmer as well. But I usually did weekly water changes. Do you dose then?

Unread 05/30/2017, 07:32 AM   #43
CleanReef
Registered Member

No sir. Top up Rodi water and food every other day. That is the extent of my office tank maintenance.

Unread 05/30/2017, 10:08 AM   #44
Mebeknob
Registered Member

Quote:
No sir. Top up Rodi water and food every other day. That is the extent of my office tank maintenance.

That surprises me. I assume you don't have any corals then?

Unread 05/31/2017, 11:09 AM   #45
CleanReef
Registered Member

just a few soft corals that will live without supps. Like mushrooms and soft tree corals. I've also kept zoas and green stars at home with success on the same method.

Unread 06/01/2017, 09:19 PM   #46
bcb577
Registered Member

This thread interested me....I have a ten gallon nano and I had a torch for a few months before I knew of something called parameters,lol needless to say I learned a hard lesson,whatever we keep in our tanks we are responsible to keep our tanks running well to provide for the creatures we keep.I've seen youtube videos of people keeping bta in even a ten gallon nano.But for me after careful consideration,I'm waiting to get a bta when I get my 46 gallon going,which I've already begun! Keep what you want,but keep water quality and the fact that they can move wherever,and whenever they want,good luck!!

bcb577 is offline   Reply With Quote