Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/27/2017, 09:17 PM   #1
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Redundancy is Your Friend!

Redundancy is your friend!

Any mechanical device can fail, and if you wait long enough they all will. I have a number of float switches in my sump, including two for my ATO, one for my backup ATO, one for high sump warning (1" above normal) and one for very high sump warning (3" above normal). Been getting the high sump triggering and couldn't figure out why. Turns out the switch for the backup ATO had failed closed and the high sump switch was catching it.

I learned a long time ago to not rely on a singles switch.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2017, 09:42 PM   #2
hogfanreefer
Registered Member

Agreed. I wish I had as many layers of it as you do.

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 gallon, mixed reef, SPS and wrasse dominant
hogfanreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2017, 10:30 PM   #3
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfanreefer View Post
Agreed. I wish I had as many layers of it as you do.

Like you can't have enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2017, 05:27 AM   #4
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Some of it set up in the system and ready for use is good. But at the very least, have a back up on the shelf ready to install as a replacement for anything that fails and is needed to keep the tank going.

Unread 05/28/2017, 06:12 AM   #5
jkapit
Registered Member

Totally agree, I run two float switches, the high shuts off ATO, the very high shuts off the ATO and automatic water change module as well. Also have two heaters and two temperature control modules. Also keep an extra return pump on hand just in case.

jkapit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2017, 06:57 PM   #6
quantumfuzz
Registered Member

It seems I have at least double of everything these days as well.

quantumfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 08:52 AM   #7
Apotack
Registered Member

I run two return pumps for that reason.

Current Tank Info: 125gal
Apotack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 09:25 AM   #8
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apotack View Post
I run two return pumps for that reason.
I have toyed with doing that, but ultimately never have. I've historically run Iwaki or PanWorld externals that are borderline bulletproof; though of course failure is always possible (and preceded by plenty of warning signals) If I were running Chinese-made DC pumps, I'd certainly make different choices.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 05/29/2017, 10:36 AM   #9
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

If you have a heater in your tank, that and the flow pumps when on a different circuit can keep stuff warm and aerated until you can change a return pump.

How stupid and I? I still turn a ball valve above my sump, wait 10 seconds and turn it off. I still don't trust an ATO.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 07:55 PM   #10
ericarenee
Registered Member

Back up Generator ..
Two plumbed in return pumps.
4 heaters 2 each on two controllers .
I have a 150 gallon stock tank with all the plumbing ready to fill and connect to pump and sump in case of the DREADED Tank leaking issue... (This will happen to us all at least once )
I have a extra light and spare heaters , keep enough salt on hand to mix at least 600 gallons.. Right now 5 boxes so that is prob 800 or so gallons.

Also Keep 150 gallons of ro/di water 50 to 100 of it is mixed salt water depending on where i am with water changes at that time..

I also have a From before the Generator. 4 Marine batteries (for our boat actually) dc powered pump (Also boat equipment ) and a Very nice Invert-er.

We were without power for over a week several years back due to a ice storm.. I will NEVER Not be Prepared again..We were shuffling power back and forwards between furnace fridge and tank the whole time and running cans in the icy cold conditions to keep the Way to small generator going .

My opinion with large tanks . Planing for Emergency and disaster should be the First step.. Its a lot of money down the Drain with a Tiny unprepared event sometimes.

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 09:26 PM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
My opinion with large tanks . Planing for Emergency and disaster should be the First step.. Its a lot of money down the Drain with a Tiny unprepared event sometimes.
I wholeheartedly agree. In fact my loss-of-power plan is almost perfect. The only flaw is if I am out of town and unable to implement said plan , then it's crap.