Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/10/2017, 10:30 PM   #1
bcb577
Registered Member

Candy cane coral 3/4 retracted

Hi all I've had my 10 gallon nano reef aquarium up for over a year and a half now.I keep up with husbandry and do a 20% water change around every 7-10 days.I'm running a marineland biowheel hob,with chemi pure elite,and carbon filter pad insert,a nano protein skimmer.my parameters are dkh 9.mag 1500.calcium 500.phosphate o but it's an api. Nitrate o,salinity 1.026.the portion that does come out is a very colorful green,with no obvious signs of diseases.have them in the middle level in tank so I'd say medium lighting and low to moderate flow.they are splitting into more heads they just won't come out all the way.not able to post pics.any help off of my little info would be a great help,I've had these corals for about a year.

bcb577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2017, 05:12 PM   #2
SharkaThon
Registered Member

Any change in lighting? If you're not using LEDs possibly an old bulb?

I'm not anywhere near an expert, just thinking of any additional info that could be useful.

Best of luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 05/11/2017, 09:26 PM   #3
bcb577
Registered Member

I'm using my current usa orbit marine led lighting,it's been on there since before I put those corals in.I just did a 20%water change and everything is commuting out more,I'm thinking I need to go to a 7 day water changes instead of every 10 days that seems to be when I have the problems.maybe they recoup after the water change so maybe it's a build up of nutrients or the corals are taking a lot of calcium and stuff and when I do the water change it replaces the loss?do I need to start dosing?ill try the water changes to 7 days and test the water before and after the change.

Unread 05/16/2017, 10:48 PM   #4
bcb577
Registered Member

Well,long story short my parameters were not good ,so I started using kent marine part a and b now my parameters are really good,I'm also shutting down my protein skimmer due to the fact t that I have absolutely no detectable nitrate or phosphate,so I'm trying to get those to come up a bit .I've had very little growth from my zoas so hopefully that will help,but the good news is that after dosing for a col days,corals are really opening and getting color back!