Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/16/2018, 02:32 PM   #1
warrenmichaels
Registered Member

Dumping salt water into septic, don't want to ruin well water

I live in a house on a mild hill which slopes from the front to the house to the back. I have no idea what sort of subterranean slopes there are, or what the subterranean geology is like, however. In the front, there is a well which is drilled, I think, to several hundred feet. In the back there is a septic field. I'm setting up a 90 gal tank. With water changes, this comes out to my emptying about 130 lbs of salt onto the property per year.

I had the groundwater tested, and NaCl is extremely low, and I'd like to keep it that way. Are any of you in a similar situation? If I empty the saltwater down the drain, do you think I'd ruin my groundwater?

Thanks

warrenmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2018, 03:13 PM   #2
bosshog
Registered Member

It will be fine. A much larger concern is the other substances and life in the effluent. If you’re that concerned about the salt, dumpyour water change buckets on the driveway or other non crop area.

bosshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2018, 04:27 PM   #3
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenmichaels View Post
I live in a house on a mild hill which slopes from the front to the house to the back. I have no idea what sort of subterranean slopes there are, or what the subterranean geology is like, however. In the front, there is a well which is drilled, I think, to several hundred feet. In the back there is a septic field. I'm setting up a 90 gal tank. With water changes, this comes out to my emptying about 130 lbs of salt onto the property per year.

I had the groundwater tested, and NaCl is extremely low, and I'd like to keep it that way. Are any of you in a similar situation? If I empty the saltwater down the drain, do you think I'd ruin my groundwater?

Thanks
I wouldn't worry. You probably dump a lot more than 130lbs of fresh water a day. An average house hold use 80-100 gallons of water a day, which is 660 to 830 lbs of water. Amount of salt that goes in with that much of water is very small.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2018, 05:00 PM   #4
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

Shoot, my water softener goes thru at least 40 lbs of salt a month. There might be a small impact on the lifespan of the drain field from calcium, but the salt won't be an issue.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2018, 06:35 PM   #5
Joe0813
Registered Member

Ive read up on this a lot since moving to a town with septic, and the majority of info I read is not to dump saltwater or put the drain line to your RO unit into the septic

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2018, 07:48 AM   #6
EMeyer
Registered Member

If you have water flow going from your septic to your well water you have more urgent problems than your aquarium

Not a good idea to put large amounts of salt into a septic field, although if you do it during or following heavy rains its unlikely to cause any problems.

I like pouring SW on my long dirt/gravel driveway. Put the plant killing properties to good use.

EMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2018, 09:55 AM   #7
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post
Ive read up on this a lot since moving to a town with septic, and the majority of info I read is not to dump saltwater or put the drain line to your RO unit into the septic
I think that’s mostly about the potential for the salt to accelerate corrosion of the concrete tank. I’ve been putting old SW into mine for close to 20 years without issue (at least that’s what my septic guy says). My well is close to 400 feet deep - I figure the water I get from it hasn’t seen the light of day for a very long time.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2018, 01:28 PM   #8
warrenmichaels
Registered Member

This gives me peace of mind. Thanks.

Unread 12/20/2018, 06:50 PM   #9
nikon187
Registered Member

saltwater can and will kill a septic field if long enough . pour down the toilet.

Current Tanks:

New 210 custom 84 x 24 x 24, 60g sump, SWC 250 extreme with bubble blaster 5000, 2 vortech mp40, 2 vortech mp10, 12 T5, Water blaster 5000, warner marine bio pellets,

60g clownfish cube, red carpet anemone with a 25g sump,SRO octopus 1000sss, 250w radium, lumenarc large.
nikon187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2018, 07:25 PM   #10
water is wet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon187 View Post
saltwater can and will kill a septic field if long enough . pour down the toilet.
That doesn't makes any sense. If it's poured down the toilet where do you think it'll go?

water is wet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2018, 07:39 PM   #11
Jason9488
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Guthrie View Post
Shoot, my water softener goes thru at least 40 lbs of salt a month. There might be a small impact on the lifespan of the drain field from calcium, but the salt won't be an issue.
Sounds like you need a new water softener.

Jason9488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2018, 03:10 PM   #12
nikon187
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by water is wet View Post
That doesn't makes any sense. If it's poured down the toilet where do you think it'll go?
to the water treatment plant as we dont have septic tanks here.

Current Tanks:

New 210 custom 84 x 24 x 24, 60g sump, SWC 250 extreme with bubble blaster 5000, 2 vortech mp40, 2 vortech mp10, 12 T5, Water blaster 5000, warner marine bio pellets,

60g clownfish cube, red carpet anemone with a 25g sump,SRO octopus 1000sss, 250w radium, lumenarc large.
nikon187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2018, 08:57 AM   #13
EMeyer
Registered Member

Saltwater is bad for the bacteria in septic tanks, bad for the bacteria in water treatment plants, and bad for the plants and bacteria in septic fields.

But during a rain, there is a constant flow of water into the septic field and you could get away with it.

I have no idea what people in cities should do (other than move ) I suspect storm drains are the best bet.

EMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2018, 11:08 AM   #14
Joe0813
Registered Member

When I lived in my old house we had city sewage. I just dumped all the saltwater down the toilet. Now in this house I dump it all into the woods

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2018, 05:48 AM   #15
JWClark
Registered Member

This is one of my concerns as we start to build the retirement farm house. I've thought about running waste water to an evaporation tank and reclaiming the salt. Anyone ever use to make salt licks/supplements for livestock?

Note, my concern is for the septic system--not ruining the well water. Your well water comes from an aquifer deep underground (164ft for mine) and it is likely that the surface water on your property does not make it into that aquifer--at least at the point where you draw water (unless the top barrier rock layer is fragmented in some way).

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
JWClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2018, 10:32 PM   #16
warrenmichaels
Registered Member

That's good to hear regarding surface water not making it to the well. I'd considered setting up evaporation tanks as well. A few points from the research I did:

In most places in North America, in the Summer, as a rule of thumb, expect 0.5" vertical inches of evaporation per day.

You can boil away 400-800 gallons of water by burning a cord of wood, depending on efficiency.

If you freeze saltwater, at higher temperatures at least, you'll get a layer of freshwater on top, and saltier water below.

I live in the Northeast. Around here, plants are better suited to acidic soils. High pH water might not be good for them. You might want to neutralize pH.