Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/28/2017, 09:11 AM   #351
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanghee View Post
what is the best water level for double cone 200?

and how many time should I turn the intake nozzel?

My tank is just brand new 2weeks ago.

Is this a new skimmer? What depth do you have it at now and how many turns out not the nozzle are you? Is your wedge pipe wide open? If this skimmer was not new when you got it, I would check the venturi port where the air hose connects to the pump and make sure there isn't any salt build up in that port. If there is salt build up in there, air flow will be restricted and that can cause an overflow. Also make sure the ozone port is either blocked off or has the tube connected to it so it can draw air instead of water.

Best level depends on the load. I would start at 8.5" and if you have the standard red dragon with the adjustable nozzle and not an RD3, start at 1.5 full turns out from fully closed and work your way out from there. Since your tank is brand new, you don't have any lead or dissolved organics. As such, your not going to generate much skimmate. The overflowing is either due to the sump depth being too deep or too much water and not enough air flow going into the skimmer which is where the nozzle comes into play. The more you open the nozzle, the less water flow and more air flow. You also have the wedge pipe to adjust the level. If that is closed, you will overflow. Adjust the wedge to it's fully open position to start. The wedge pipe is used for fine tuning the level in the skimmer.

If your wedge pipe was closed and you open it and aren't overflowing anymore, then use the nozzle to fine tune the foam so that you get the most dense foam possible. Be sure to wear gloves when you adjust the nozzle otherwise the oil in your skin will make the skimmer go kind of flat and you will be waiting a while between adjustments to see the results.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2017, 09:10 AM   #352
Sanghee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Is this a new skimmer? What depth do you have it at now and how many turns out not the nozzle are you? Is your wedge pipe wide open? If this skimmer was not new when you got it, I would check the venturi port where the air hose connects to the pump and make sure there isn't any salt build up in that port. If there is salt build up in there, air flow will be restricted and that can cause an overflow. Also make sure the ozone port is either blocked off or has the tube connected to it so it can draw air instead of water.

Best level depends on the load. I would start at 8.5" and if you have the standard red dragon with the adjustable nozzle and not an RD3, start at 1.5 full turns out from fully closed and work your way out from there. Since your tank is brand new, you don't have any lead or dissolved organics. As such, your not going to generate much skimmate. The overflowing is either due to the sump depth being too deep or too much water and not enough air flow going into the skimmer which is where the nozzle comes into play. The more you open the nozzle, the less water flow and more air flow. You also have the wedge pipe to adjust the level. If that is closed, you will overflow. Adjust the wedge to it's fully open position to start. The wedge pipe is used for fine tuning the level in the skimmer.

If your wedge pipe was closed and you open it and aren't overflowing anymore, then use the nozzle to fine tune the foam so that you get the most dense foam possible. Be sure to wear gloves when you adjust the nozzle otherwise the oil in your skin will make the skimmer go kind of flat and you will be waiting a while between adjustments to see the results.
My skimmer is already old, but I washed it for resetting my tank.

the depth is 21cm and 2.5 turns opened as RE said.

air connect is ok and there was no salt build up.

and wedge pipe is fully opened.

Sanghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2017, 09:11 AM   #353
Sanghee
Registered Member

Quote:

but it is still overflowing...

Unread 06/02/2017, 11:52 AM   #354
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
but it is still overflowing...
As I said above, work your way out on the nozzle. If you are at 2.5 full turns out from fully closed, open it some more until it stops overflowing. I normally suggest starting at 1.5 turns but you just need to find the sweet spot for your tank. The more you open it, the less water goes into the skimmer and the more air. As you increase the air and decrease the water flow via opening the nozzle, the water level will go down at which point your skimmer will stop overflowing. There is no "right" spot for the nozzle. Every tank is different. That nozzle is how you tune the skimmer and clearly your not tuned properly if you are still experiencing overflows.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 06/02/2017, 06:32 PM   #355
Sanghee
Registered Member

Quote:
As I said above, work your way out on the nozzle. If you are at 2.5 full turns out from fully closed, open it some more until it stops overflowing. I normally suggest starting at 1.5 turns but you just need to find the sweet spot for your tank. The more you open it, the less water goes into the skimmer and the more air. As you increase the air and decrease the water flow via opening the nozzle, the water level will go down at which point your skimmer will stop overflowing. There is no "right" spot for the nozzle. Every tank is different. That nozzle is how you tune the skimmer and clearly your not tuned properly if you are still experiencing overflows.
yes, I tried to turn more than more...

but still overflowing...

should I change the depth? when I made the depth 16.5cm... then It was ok.

Unread 06/02/2017, 07:26 PM   #356
slief
RC Sponsor

Depth has a direct impact on the skimmer so yes, reducing the depth will help with overflows though 16.5 is certainly low. Have you removed the foam in the silencer and cleaned it? To me it sounds like you may have some sort of an obstruction in the air path. This assuming you went far enough out not he nozzle. How many full turns out not he nozzle did you go? Have you used epoxy in your system anytime recently? Have you used Red Slime Remover in your system recently? I am just trying to figure out if something else is contributing to the overflow.

That said, you could run it where it's at for a while and see how it does. If you have really high dissolved organics in your system, that could contribute to the issue you are having and once you skimmer "catches up" and reduces the dissolved organics, you will be able to raise the sump level again without the overflows. This assuming it's something in your water causing the overflow.

Unread 06/03/2017, 08:01 AM   #357
Sanghee
Registered Member

Quote:
Depth has a direct impact on the skimmer so yes, reducing the depth will help with overflows though 16.5 is certainly low. Have you removed the foam in the silencer and cleaned it? To me it sounds like you may have some sort of an obstruction in the air path. This assuming you went far enough out not he nozzle. How many full turns out not he nozzle did you go? Have you used epoxy in your system anytime recently? Have you used Red Slime Remover in your system recently? I am just trying to figure out if something else is contributing to the overflow.

That said, you could run it where it's at for a while and see how it does. If you have really high dissolved organics in your system, that could contribute to the issue you are having and once you skimmer "catches up" and reduces the dissolved organics, you will be able to raise the sump level again without the overflows. This assuming it's something in your water causing the overflow.
you mean....

should I make 16.5 depth for awhile? until the overflowing stop?

the tank is just brand new 19days ago.

and only marco rock and with baking soda used.

the air nozzle is cleaned before start.

should I remove the collection cup? until overflowing stop?

Unread 06/03/2017, 08:55 AM   #358
slief
RC Sponsor

Leave it at 16.5 for now and let it remove what ever is in the water causing the overflow. I suspect it's something in your rocks/system that is causing it. Let it run for a while and it will likely calm down as the skimmer removes what ever is causing the condition. At some point down the line probably a couple weeks, you should be able to gradually make the water level in the sump deeper.

Unread 06/03/2017, 02:34 PM   #359
msderganc
Registered Member

Quote:
Good that loosening the screws helped a bit. As I said, it should quiet down more once it breaks in. Did you happen to get any pictures of the scratch in question? I assume given your wait that you bought this through one of our resllers and it was drop shipped from us? If so, which reseller did you buy it through? I wonder if the skimmer was opened in customs and maybe got scratched when it customes inspected the shipment.. I've not seen any complaints about scratched skimmers so I'm just pondering where this could have happened as Germany is pretty careful with these things when the assemble and pack them.
Hi - just an update. It's been going for about 3 weeks now, and it is as loud as it was when I got it. Any suggestions? I'm pretty sure from the last time I took it apart that it's the connection between the nozzle of the pump and the edge of the skimmer body that's causing the hum.

Regardless, I think it's pretty unacceptable for a pump that's billed as silent to be able to be heard across the room, especially considering the cost.

Current Tank Info: 75g SPS ReefSavvy in the Works (prior: 260g SPS heavy system, 70g prop system, 29g Biocube)
msderganc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2017, 02:40 PM   #360
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by msderganc View Post
Hi - just an update. It's been going for about 3 weeks now, and it is as loud as it was when I got it. Any suggestions? I'm pretty sure from the last time I took it apart that it's the connection between the nozzle of the pump and the edge of the skimmer body that's causing the hum.

Regardless, I think it's pretty unacceptable for a pump that's billed as silent to be able to be heard across the room, especially considering the cost.
PM Sent.

Unread 06/03/2017, 03:10 PM   #361
msderganc
Registered Member

double

Current Tank Info: 75g SPS ReefSavvy in the Works (prior: 260g SPS heavy system, 70g prop system, 29g Biocube)
msderganc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2017, 12:14 AM   #362
Sanghee
Registered Member

Quote:
Leave it at 16.5 for now and let it remove what ever is in the water causing the overflow. I suspect it's something in your rocks/system that is causing it. Let it run for a while and it will likely calm down as the skimmer removes what ever is causing the condition. At some point down the line probably a couple weeks, you should be able to gradually make the water level in the sump deeper.
ok thank you

there is one more thing that the small bubble ...

even when It leave 16.5cm...

there is many small bubble... in my tank.

Unread 06/04/2017, 09:05 AM   #363
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
ok thank you

there is one more thing that the small bubble ...

even when It leave 16.5cm...

there is many small bubble... in my tank.
They are called micro bubbles. The skimmer is breaking in. Also, from the sounds of it, your tank is new and you don't have any load in the tank to generate proteins. The proteins allow the bubbles in the skimmer to stick together and when they do that, more bubbles end up at the top of the skimmer instead of going out the effluent pipe. As such, the skimmer will tend to create more micro bubbles until your load increases. You likely also still need to fine tune the nozzle more once you export whatever was causing the overflowing issues which I suspect may have been from the rocks and your cleaning process. Just give it some time.

Unread 06/08/2017, 07:37 AM   #364
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Hello folks,

I think I may be missing a part and was hoping you guys could confirm. Shouldn't there be a pipe that connects the skimmer body to the pump?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sfile.jpg (44.3 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Sfile1.jpg (36.8 KB, 16 views)
Unread 06/08/2017, 07:44 AM   #365
vhuang168
Registered Member

It's that silicone tube at the bottom of the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 07:46 AM   #366
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Is this correct? I think so, just want to make sure.

Next question, what about the two o-rings and silicone?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sfile-2.jpg (43.6 KB, 114 views)
Unread 06/08/2017, 07:46 AM   #367
vhuang168
Registered Member

And that part with the tube leading to the air silencer is in the wrong spot. It should be on the intake side.

Unread 06/08/2017, 07:47 AM   #368
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
Is this correct?
That is not correct. Did you not get an instruction manual with your skimmer?
http://royalexclusiv.com/images/cont...enance_eng.pdf
The nozzle with the venturi connections slips into the front of the pump. It's held in place by the little red o-ring that is seated into the end of the gray nozzle. The large diameter silicone tube connects to the side/output on the pump.

This picture shows the correct installation of the pump.

Last edited by slief; 06/08/2017 at 07:55 AM.
Unread 06/08/2017, 07:49 AM   #369
vhuang168
Registered Member

Unread 06/08/2017, 07:51 AM   #370
vhuang168
Registered Member

Quote:
That is not correct.
The nozzle with the venturi connections goes it the front of the pump. The silicone tube connects to the side/output on the pump.

Silicon tube is correct but the air intake is not.

Unread 06/08/2017, 07:52 AM   #371
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
It's that silicone tube at the bottom of the picture.

Thanks Vincent. I appreciate your help with that.

Unread 06/08/2017, 07:55 AM   #372
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
Silicon tube is correct but the air intake is not.

That is true..

Not sure why you were quoted in that reply. Musta fat fingered my tablet. Never seen anybody attempt to install the nozzle there. That is a new one for me! I see you posted a picture too. Tag team!

Unread 06/08/2017, 07:59 AM   #373
slief
RC Sponsor

The o-rings are spares that are used on the nozzle. They are there in case you damage the existing one. The nozzle is meanted to be easily removed from the pump so you can inspect and clean the venturi port and remove any salt creep without having to dissasemble or remove the pump. It pops right off but some people manage to damage their o-rings so a couple extra were included along with silicone grease to properly lubricate the o-rings on the nozzle, collection cup and in the pump as part of routine maintenance.

Unread 06/08/2017, 08:02 AM   #374
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

The picture you posted is a great example and really helps. Thanks for that.

Any suggestion on where this PVC fitting belongs? It will fit inside the intake section but I'm not really sure if that is right.

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg file-4.jpg (44.9 KB, 113 views)
Unread 06/08/2017, 08:05 AM   #375
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
The o-rings are spares that are used on the nozzle. They are there in case you damage the existing one. The nozzle is meanted to be easily removed from the pump so you can inspect and clean the venturi port and remove any salt creep without having to dissasemble or remove the pump. It pops right off but some people manage to damage their o-rings so a couple extra were included along with silicone grease to properly lubricate the o-rings on the nozzle, collection cup and in the pump as part of routine maintenance.
Hey Scott, thanks for the details about the o-rings and silicone use. I appreciate it.