Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/01/2018, 09:24 PM   #1
miserkris
Registered Member

Muriatic acid dilution question

If i mix muriatic acid : water ( 1: 10 ratio) outside , stir it for 10 min... Bring it inside my basement where my DT is and store the diluted acid mix:
1) How long will the solution be effective in storage , so as to clean Pumps etc as needed....without damaging the parts in them?
2) Will there be a bacterial slime build up as it does in Vinegar solutions over time?
3) Is it true HCL gas can corrode anything in my basement? The gas will escape only when opening the bottle /mixing right ( that I do outside) ?

THANKS!
Kris

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 156 g mixed reef
miserkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2018, 10:38 PM   #2
lolgranny
The DQ King

Why not just use vinegar to clean your pumps? Cleans them very well and you don’t have to worry about working with acid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 40g RIP. 300g system, 180g display.
lolgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2018, 04:45 PM   #3
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolgranny View Post
Why not just use vinegar to clean your pumps? Cleans them very well and you don’t have to worry about working with acid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You would not need to worry about working with a strong acid. Vinegar is still mostly acetic acid, which is a weak acid.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2018, 09:00 AM   #4
nereefpat
Registered Member

1. It can be stored basically indefinitely.
2. There is no carbon in it, so no I wouldn't expect any bacteria problems, although that shouldn't really be cause for concern when using vinegar.
3. HCl is corrosive, for sure. It can be kept in a sealed container safely, however.

Muriatic acid is good for use as a strong acid (chemistry term) when one is needed. Some folks use it to nuke dead/live rock, or to lower alk in saltwater solutions. It would work to descale equipment, but I'm not sure that it would be my first choice. Sulfamic acid would be better, imo. Of course, be really careful with that stuff.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2018, 11:01 AM   #5
NikonN8
Registered Member

Pat answered all your questions accurately, however, I would suggest going to 1% dilution instead of 10%. The stuff is plenty strong even at that lower concentration, still dangerous, but with significantly more wiggle room and much less hazardous vapor levels.

Unread 11/09/2018, 11:49 AM   #6
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Also, ALWAYS be sure to add acid to water like you oughta!!
Once in chem lab I reversed it with 12M HCl (about 37%) VERY dangerous!!

75 gal display running since 5/14/18--29 gal sump Ocellaris Clown Pair, Flasher Wrasse, Bangaii Cardinal, Fire Shrimp pair, Skunk Cleaner, Blue Coral Banded Shrimp, Euphyllia, Monti Cap, Monti Digi. C
cjpitt80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 10:05 PM   #7
miserkris
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonN8 View Post
Pat answered all your questions accurately, however, I would suggest going to 1% dilution instead of 10%. The stuff is plenty strong even at that lower concentration, still dangerous, but with significantly more wiggle room and much less hazardous vapor levels.
I diluted the muriatic acid 1:5 water and I put it in a gallon jug safely sealed no I don't think that's going to evaporate into the air in my basement right ....

is evaporation a big issue for diluted HCL?

It's stored in a used distilled water bottle.

Current Tank Info: 156 g mixed reef
miserkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2018, 07:10 AM   #8
NikonN8
Registered Member

That'll be fine. Hopefully it's a screw-on top but otherwise the HDPE or LDPE plastics making up the bottle will be perfectly fine for that solution.