Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/17/2017, 06:04 PM   #1
Sam2832
Registered Member

My 100 gal reef

Hi,i will start this thread to explai my setup and maintenance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sam2832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2017, 06:19 PM   #2
Sam2832
Registered Member

This tank is almost one year old,most of the inhabitants where in the old one (65 gal).The yellow tang is with me since 2005 and he survived the whipeout of my fishs 6 years ago.For the moment the reef is running whitout huge headache,some cyano,aefw and montipora eating nudibranchs.
The clowns have adopted the goniopora and are spawnign at regular intervals,the female is quite agressive,in fact i remove her almost everytime i have to put my hand in the aquarium.She's quite easy to catch because she attack the net.

Unread 07/18/2017, 10:37 AM   #3
Sam2832
Registered Member

Ok some info on the system,the tank is custom build with 3 sides starfire,eurobraced and percedthe dimensions:48*24 height 20''.I dose alk,ca,mg with a kamoer dosing pump i use the brand fauna marin.Lighting infinity 2 hqi 250w+4 t5 54 w.I might change for led to help manage the heat.

Unread 07/18/2017, 04:29 PM   #4
Kodock
Registered Member

Nice build! Must be nice to have a gonipora :,,(

Kodock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2017, 05:00 PM   #5
Sam2832
Registered Member

thanks kodock!the red goniopora is with me since +-5 years and have always been in good health.In his new spot (more flow and light) the polyps are even more extended.The male clown spend his days and nights in it.Despite been ok this coral have shown almost no growth,but it's fine with me i like his present size.

Unread 07/18/2017, 05:26 PM   #6
Sam2832
Registered Member

this acropora millipora is the one in wich i founded the aefw infestation.I had to change is place due to "re"aquascaping and the base was covered with eggs.I decided to dispose of the infested part and glued the remaining eggs with coral glue.I add the six line in the hope he found the flatworms to be worth eating.Last week i checked again and found some more eggs,i dipped using "revive" and saw some fw coming off.The new batch of eggs was manually removed and i also started to dose "flatworms stop" by zeovit in the hope of boosting the acros.Fot now the bulk of the infestation seem limited to this coral.I grew this acro from a frag,so o hope he'll make it throught!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Unread 07/18/2017, 05:27 PM   #7
Sam2832
Registered Member

I hope not o hope...

Unread 07/18/2017, 05:37 PM   #8
Sam2832
Registered Member

the favias in my tank have always been hassle free,they are slow to grow so i always gought colony instead of a frag.

Unread 07/18/2017, 05:43 PM   #9
Sam2832
Registered Member

The stinging cells of this one are able to reach is neighbors up to 5 cm across.I manage a safe spot for him between the glass,gsp and a fellow favia.His spot seem ok for now.

Unread 07/18/2017, 05:49 PM   #10
Sam2832
Registered Member

his neighbor the "war favia" wich is more peaceful despite is name.This one also is a slow grower but in time 2-3 years he should cover some of the rocks.

Unread 07/18/2017, 11:02 PM   #11
Sam2832
Registered Member

this is some months ago (april) before the change in the aquascape due to falling pieces and the attempt to erradicate an infestive xenia.To do so i removed some rocks and add the one to the right in the new setup.The green at the bottom is cyano bacteria,never had green before,always red.To adress the issue i treated with"chemiclean" 2 weeks ago.The cyano is gone and the skimmer is working as it should again.

Unread 07/21/2017, 02:47 PM   #12
Sam2832
Registered Member

this is the list of the fishs presently in my care with the approximative date of when i acquire them.
1 yellow tang 2005,1 purple tang 2013,1 sailfin tang fall of 2016,1 tomini tang 2012
2 clownfish 2012,3 blue saphire damsel fall of 2016,3 lyretail antias last spring,1 leopard wrasse 2015,1 six lines wrasse last month,1 neon dottyback may 2017,1 rainford's goby july 2017

behavior:the 4 tangs are presently doing fine together.When i introduced the purple,the yellow shown some agressivity but being the same size the purple was able to stand his ground.The tomini have always ignore everyone except his reflection and a chevron (i suspect he killed the chevron,4 days after purchase i founded him dead).The sailfin was the last added and had quite a welcome for the firsts months.

Unread 07/21/2017, 02:50 PM   #13
Sam2832
Registered Member

Unread 07/21/2017, 04:07 PM   #14
Sam2832
Registered Member

Here some upside down pics

Unread 07/22/2017, 08:59 PM   #15
Sam2832
Registered Member

Montipora eating nudibranchs
I have keep montiporas since i started in sps some years ago.They where always easy to easy to maintain and in some cases growing like crazy...until...
In the spring of 2016 after the suicide of my yellow wrasse i started to see my monti to show signs of stress,some dead spots,some edges turning white,but never having faced the issue before i didn't realise what was at the heart of the problem.In 2 months i lost all the montiporas except the colony of orange capricornis.At the same time i started to see tiny slugs appear on the glass...they turned out to be the dreaded nudibranchs that people spoke of with fear when they write about the struggles they ad to overcome to stay in the hoby.I started to remove some layers of the last montipora in the attempt to get rid of them bud it didn't work it was so huge that the nudibranchs where able to thrive whitout killing it.In the end i decided to remove the remaining of the colony despite the fact that it as become the house for the blue saphire damsels (they where laying eggs between the lower plates).After the removal i waited 2 months before adding a new "test" montipora (sunset) since then i manually removed 2 or 3 nudibranchs on the edges of the sunset.I decided to add 2 other montiporas some weeks ago (rainbow and aquaman) for now they seem ok but i will monitor them closely and dip if needed.In retrospect i should not have allowed the capricornis to become so large,it would have been easier to take the appropriate actions when needed.

Unread 07/22/2017, 09:07 PM   #16
Sam2832
Registered Member

First picture,sunset at top and rainbow
Second picture aquaman

Unread 07/22/2017, 09:22 PM   #17
Horace
Registered Member

So u have both aefw and MEN? That sucks......

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: New 180g Mixed SPS Build in progress
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2017, 09:49 PM   #18
Sam2832
Registered Member

yes it does...
bright side i know it and both are in check!

Unread 07/25/2017, 01:51 PM   #19
Sam2832
Registered Member

It's confirmed,i still have the nudibranchs.This morning i took my headlamp and gave a quick look.I manually removed the one i saw.For those of you who never had the pleasure,this is what MEN activity look like.
You can notice the white spot on the lower left of the sunset.

On an other topic,i plan to use coral cement to secure this coral and remove the tie wrap.Does someone have experience with this product?

Unread 08/06/2017, 06:25 PM   #20
Sam2832
Registered Member

Ok,some updates
I decided to leave the tie wrap in place because the cement start to crumble if it's not cured enought,i would need to remove the rock for some time and hold the cement in place.Too much work for something almost hidden!
The cement proved useful to secure smaller pieces,a base for the red planet,the torch and the acropora millipora.For the latter i created a small pillar and drilled a hole to insert a piece of acrilic rod,then i drilled the base of the acro and glued the rod in place.This will allow to easily remove the coral for future inspection/treatment.

Unread 08/06/2017, 07:00 PM   #21
Sam2832
Registered Member

Also something i should have done from the start,i added a piece of wood on the support i made for the lamp,there is no major change in temperature and almost no more light spill.In some time i will make something more permanent and hopefully better looking
I made some changes in the placement of corals,the green and brown favia was too close to the war coral and he was starting to attack it,so i fragged the war and glued it on a low light place,it should fasten the process of covering a large part of the rock
I decided to remove the piece of sunset that was growing on the rock after founding some nudibranchs these last few weeks.For the remaining montiporas pieces i will place them on cement pieces to be able to treat future outbreaks.

Unread 08/08/2017, 09:18 PM   #22
Reefpuck
Registered Member

Great looking tank!

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 09:38 AM   #23
minitank
Registered Member

you've made some amazing coral choices, beautiful tank. what is the name of the large green sps on the left in your aquaman photo?

minitank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 01:42 PM   #24
dimasv
Registered Member

tank looks amazing

Unread 08/09/2017, 10:39 PM   #25
Sam2832
Registered Member

thanks for the nice comments!the green acropora in the aquaman picture is a standard one, no fancy name.the picture is really bad, the mh where closed and it appear my ipod does not give good color rendering with only t5.In my last picture of the whole display you can see the same coral under mh and t5, three pieces on the right side and one in the middle.This coral is the main reason for the new aquascape,in my old display one of my rocks was entirely covered with acros and the last time i removed it to catch a fish the green acro fell.I will try to find an old picture to help visualize.Afterward it felt disbalanced so i ended up removing the acros from the rock and placing some pieces on the new one.The piece in the middle is host to a small acro crab who came in another acropora but change home in the first week.Since then he have remained in the same one despite losing some space lately...