Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/07/2021, 09:27 PM   #1
theblackvneck
Registered Member

Potentially Sick Volitans?

• We’ve had these 2 volitans for about 2 weeks. They were wild caught in Florida. Was dipped and QT by LFS before being sold.
• 300 gallon tank. Tank mates include 1 zebra moray eel. They get along well.
• Fish have been eating every 3 days (alternating between shrimp and scallops). They both ate 2 scallops tonight and still have a ravenous and aggressive appetite!
• Parameters:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
pH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.025
• Largest volitan appears to have some broken spines (which I assumed was just an accidental injury from scraping against some rocks). Also noticed a couple of small white dots on eyes (though they are otherwise clear). I’ve seen them hanging out in front of the flow like they’re enjoying it. I’ve also seen them suddenly make sharp, unprompted movements, like they’re itching or in pain (though they aren’t doing it against any rocks). Lastly, I noticed that there was some mucous slugging off of them (though I’ve read that can be normal with lions).
• I’ve started dosing the tank with Cupramine and temporarily removed the carbon (as it is the only form of copper my eel can handle) in case it’s Ich or Velvet.

Important note: My last 2 lionfish died from something that started the same way. I believe they died before treatment could take effect. However, after they died, I continued treating the tank for 40 days before removing copper from the system. This leads me to believe that it might be brooklynella, which is not impacted by copper. (I will admit that I struggled to read that awful copper test kit, so I suppose it’s possible that in didn’t dose high enough.)

Thoughts? Help? Suggestion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theblackvneck is offline   Reply With Quote