Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/05/2017, 10:18 PM   #1
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Latezonatus Clowns on DD a few days ago

Looks like DD might have had a pair of Latz clowns for sale a couple of days ago. Does anyone know how much they sold for?

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2017, 10:47 PM   #2
D-Nak
Registered Member

$399 for the pair.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...-_-DDN-_-PRDCT

Unread 07/06/2017, 04:06 AM   #3
hottuna
Registered Member

I wouldn't pay $3.99 for them...captive bred fish are ugly misfits...

Unread 07/06/2017, 07:30 AM   #4
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
Seems to be a going rate for CB Latz pair.

Unread 07/06/2017, 09:36 AM   #5
D-Nak
Registered Member

That pair doesn't look as bad as other Latz I've seen. :-)

Unread 07/06/2017, 10:48 AM   #6
OrionN
Moved on

The face is horrible, especially the higher one of the two. Huge lower jaw protrusion.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2017, 11:40 AM   #7
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Sometimes beggars can't be choosers
Wild caught pair usually goes for $1700-$2000. If you want Latz clowns instead of cheaper wild caught species then options are pretty limited.

Unread 07/06/2017, 02:35 PM   #8
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
The face is horrible, especially the higher one of the two. Huge lower jaw protrusion.
At least they were not misbared like the ones you usually find. Though if I really wanted latezonatus I'd rather go for wilds.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2017, 04:08 PM   #9
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
At least they were not misbared like the ones you usually find. Though if I really wanted latezonatus I'd rather go for wilds.
Yes! As they say... Go big or go home!

It looks like DD has a couple more pairs today.

Unread 07/06/2017, 05:51 PM   #10
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Though if I really wanted latezonatus I'd rather go for wilds.
They're only $2,000 IF you can find them. Unicorn for most hobbyists.
https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/prod...=365&pid=23624

Unread 07/07/2017, 03:26 PM   #11
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
They're only $2,000 IF you can find them. Unicorn for most hobbyists.
https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/prod...=365&pid=23624
You can get them if you know who ask and have patience. Blue Zoo would not be my first choice for such a delicate and pricy fish.

I had a pair of them in the late 90s. Back then they were much more affordable. If I remember correctly it was just $250 for an adult pair.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...

Last edited by ThRoewer; 07/07/2017 at 03:33 PM.
Unread 07/07/2017, 04:02 PM   #12
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Blue Zoo would not be my first choice for such a delicate and pricy fish.
If I'm not mistaken BZA has been pretty much the only choice for wild caught Latz clowns on the west coast for the last 3-4 years at least. SDC gets tank raised ones but retail price is up there with DD...so $250 for a pair of wild caught Latz is no longer a reality.
What I'm hoping for is that we see more of them at a lower cost. It seems to be the case with Gem Tangs...they used to be $2k (LFS)-$3k(DD) and now you can get them for $900(LFS)-$1300 (DD) each.
I personally am a bigger fan of Leucs and Thiellei than Latz but wouldn't mind a pair of the latter species some day.

Unread 07/07/2017, 05:03 PM   #13
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I would think Jordan could get them. And he treats his fish with antibiotics which is quite important with wild clowns.

Two weeks ago I found two nice wild Irian Jaya percula at AC (2 of 3 survivors of a larger shipment). One of them looked not too good but since they are hard to find and because this one hat a nice coloration I took a chance. By the time I had them home that one was breathing so fast that a formalin bath was out of the question. I didn't have much hope and kind of expected him to kick the bucket during the night, but decided to try a treatment with Bactrim (Septra) which had worked for me before for wild percula back in Germany.
Additionally to that I put them straight into hyposalinity, initially at a salinity of 1.016.
The next morning, the one I had already written off as loss was fine, breathing normal and eating ok. The other one had a bit stringy poo but was otherwise ok.
With the water change that day I lowered the salinity to 1.009 and gave them another dose of antibiotics.
The second one developed some lesions that looked like beginning Uronema or a bacterial infection. Since the fish behaved fine and didn't seem to be too much bothered I just continued the treatment and it hasn't gotten worse but rather started to heal. Both are eating like crazy now, but may still need some treatment against intestinal infections - rather bacterial than worms, so I will try metro first.
Right now I'm pretty hopeful that both will be fine... which brings me to the next problem: which tank to put them in

Unread 07/08/2017, 12:01 PM   #14
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Two weeks ago I found two nice wild Irian Jaya percula at AC
Let's see some pics.

Unread 07/08/2017, 12:06 PM   #15
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

so three pairs of juvi Latz sold in the last few days. Hopefully we can see how they develop. I'm curious if they develop blue lips like their wild caught counterparts. Another thing I want to see is how wide their middle bars get vs wild.

Unread 07/08/2017, 12:28 PM   #16
pfan151
Registered Member

Nyaquatics had some wild ones a couple weeks ago. They were $800 for the pair. I'm thinking of trying a pair of these captive ones next time a well formed pair pops up. Just debating whether I want to get rid of my current Percs. I'm assuming a pair of latz with a pair of Percs is a definite no go in a 90 with 2 Magnifica and 3 gigantea?

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2017, 01:26 PM   #17
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Nyaquatics had some wild ones a couple weeks ago. They were $800 for the pair. I'm thinking of trying a pair of these captive ones next time a well formed pair pops up. Just debating whether I want to get rid of my current Percs. I'm assuming a pair of latz with a pair of Percs is a definite no go in a 90 with 2 Magnifica and 3 gigantea?
Those weren't Latz clowns. They were latifasciatus clowns from Madagascar. I saw them on NYA's site.

Unread 07/08/2017, 04:20 PM   #18
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Let's see some pics.
Pics come as soon as I get to take some.

Quote:
so three pairs of juvi Latz sold in the last few days. Hopefully we can see how they develop. I'm curious if they develop blue lips like their wild caught counterparts. Another thing I want to see is how wide their middle bars get vs wild.
The last pair looked pretty good. If I had the money and space I might have taken them.

Unread 07/08/2017, 05:45 PM   #19
Breadman03
New Old School

I'd like to have a pair of Latz, and it's why I haven't gotten any clowns since my tank crash. Well, that and my weak moments haven't coincided with the very few occasions where I saw clowns that actually looked like clowns.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2017, 06:41 PM   #20
pfan151
Registered Member

Well I'm weak and just grabbed these. I think they look pretty well formed from what in an see from the pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 07/08/2017, 06:51 PM   #21
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Well I'm weak and just grabbed these. I think they look pretty well formed from what in an see from the pic.

Congrats. Keep us posted.

Unread 07/08/2017, 07:25 PM   #22
Breadman03
New Old School

Latezonatus Clowns on DD a few days ago

Quote:

They look nice to me. Enjoy!

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2017, 09:09 PM   #23
knot-hard
Registered Member

I got the pair that went up on Thursday, scheduled to ship on Monday. I don't even have a tank for them to go in after quarantine.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

knot-hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2017, 09:30 PM   #24
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knot-hard View Post
I got the pair that went up on Thursday, scheduled to ship on Monday. I don't even have a tank for them to go in after quarantine.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Nice. I was thinking on those. I think those are the nicest pair they have had up but it may just be because it's a better pic than the ones I got. There was another pair a few days ago but one had a severe underbite.

I can't tell if there is something going on with the angle of the tails on the ones I ordered. I'm hoping it's just the way they were swimming when the pic was snapped.

Unread 07/10/2017, 10:54 PM   #25
knot-hard
Registered Member

Looks like just the way they are swimming in that picture. These cb pairs look drastically different from the wc ones I got off dd years ago.
I got my shipping confirmation today, I'm super stoked for tomorrow morning.

knot-hard is offline   Reply With Quote