Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/09/2020, 09:13 PM   #1
mapes5
Registered Member

SPS for Metal Halides

Hi,

I have a spot in my tank that’s about 6 inches under the water surface, and my MH bulb sits about 5 inches above the water surface (so it’s about 11 inches from the MH to the spot on my rock). My question is, what kind of SPS would do well with this high of light? (The MH bulb is a 250w 12k)

Currently, I have a Milli, some montipora, and a few acros that are growing and doing well around that area, but I’m looking for some kind of SPS that will thrive in that particular spot. I tried a bird nest there and it got fried (was able to move it down and save it). Anyway, i was wanting to put another Milli there or something.

Any info helps!

Thank you

mapes5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2020, 11:11 PM   #2
Smite
Registered Member

Do you have blue led supplements? If so tenuis can handle crazy amounts of par in my experience, such as walt disney, but wont look great under just 12k MH alone.

I run 3x250w radiums with 4x80w super actinic lamps in my spectra. I've got a shelf near the distance you're running. Most acropora/millepora I place up there do well. I've got hugos rainbow stag up there, Vivid's fuzzy navel millepora, Walt Disney and pink floyd all loving the spot.

Smite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2020, 02:18 PM   #3
waterman78
Registered Member

green slimer may be your winner.

Current Tank Info: Reef: 40g breeder with a Aquamaxx HOB skimmer, 250w MH pendant and a 1/10hp chiller.
waterman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2020, 09:46 AM   #4
biecacka
Registered Member

Tons of great milli to choose from. Nothing like hose shaggy things flowing into the current.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2020, 08:12 PM   #5
mapes5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smite View Post
Do you have blue led supplements? If so tenuis can handle crazy amounts of par in my experience, such as walt disney, but wont look great under just 12k MH alone.

I run 3x250w radiums with 4x80w super actinic lamps in my spectra. I've got a shelf near the distance you're running. Most acropora/millepora I place up there do well. I've got hugos rainbow stag up there, Vivid's fuzzy navel millepora, Walt Disney and pink floyd all loving the spot.
I have 2 Actinic T-5's that help with the blue supplement. I definitely see a change in color, which I don't mind because the growth is what I enjoy seeing more, but I may go with a stag. I bought an AGD Milli and finally acclimated him up to that particular spot today, so we will see what happens, but thank you for the input.

Unread 05/23/2020, 08:14 PM   #6
mapes5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman78 View Post
green slimer may be your winner.
I will have to try a frag, I like the vibrant green!

Unread 05/23/2020, 08:15 PM   #7
mapes5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Tons of great milli to choose from. Nothing like hose shaggy things flowing into the current.

Corey
The shaggy sticks is what I am looking for! I tried an AGD Milli so we'll see how this goes.

Unread 06/30/2020, 07:45 AM   #8
robs.mark
Registered Member

How come your halides are so close to the water?

Current Tank Info: Lagoon
robs.mark is offline   Reply With Quote