Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/18/2018, 08:43 AM   #1
Weboh
Registered Member

Best way to quickly transfer to larger tank?

My 30 gallon tank just sprung a leak. I managed to move everything to a 10 gallon tank temporarily, but I obviously can't keep 2 clownfish and a pseudochromis in there very long.

I have a 60 gallon tank I was going to transfer everything into, but I need to know how quickly I can do that. I have 30 gallons of seasoned water and I imagine I can't just add 30 more gallons of freshly mixed water and drop everything in there. What do you suggest? Add 5 gallons every day or something and once it's full transfer the fish? Or?

Thanks.

Weboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 09:06 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

You can just add 30 more gallons of fresh water and drop everything in there..
Most of the bacteria is on the live rock and little is actually in the water column itself..
So long as you keep the rock wet to avoid any bacterial die off all is fine..

I would recommend using new well rinsed dry sand and simply adding that to the 60g.. then pour in the 30g of "seasoned" water.. then transfer over live rock.. then transfer over livestock then add more new saltwater to tank as needed..
Quite easy.. Done all the time without issue.. All can be don one thing right after the other. A few hours if that and you are done..

Unread 07/18/2018, 09:27 AM   #3
journeyman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
You can just add 30 more gallons of fresh water and drop everything in there..
Most of the bacteria is on the live rock and little is actually in the water column itself..
So long as you keep the rock wet to avoid any bacterial die off all is fine..

I would recommend using new well rinsed dry sand and simply adding that to the 60g.. then pour in the 30g of "seasoned" water.. then transfer over live rock.. then transfer over livestock then add more new saltwater to tank as needed..
Quite easy.. Done all the time without issue.. All can be don one thing right after the other. A few hours if that and you are done..
Agree. It's basically a 50% water change.

thesimplereef.com

journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 09:59 AM   #4
mattgumaer
Registered Member

Completely agree. Move rock over. Probably safer to leave sand behind, particularly if relatively deep and not regularly turned over. move everything else and you should be fine.

I moved everything from an established 90 to a new 180 this way (moving everything other than sand over at one time) and didn't lose a thing. No new cycle at all that I observed (visually or on testing for ammonia).

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 04:44 PM   #5
BlueMoonFox
Registered Member

I know I don’t need to say it, but just for clarification, fresh SALT water. Common sense, but in this day and age, common sense isn’t so common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueMoonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 05:23 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoonFox View Post
I know I don’t need to say it, but just for clarification, fresh SALT water. Common sense, but in this day and age, common sense isn’t so common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes... thanks... I shouldn't have said fresh water alone..
New salt water would be better..

Unread 07/18/2018, 09:09 PM   #7
Weboh
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. Do you think I need to acclimate my livestock to the newly mixed water like I do when I get a fish from the store?

Weboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 09:15 PM   #8
slief
RC Sponsor

Just make sure the temp of the water in the new tank is VERY close to that in the old tank to reduce acclimation time. Also make sure the salinity matches.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 04:33 AM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

yep.. just make sure the salinity is the same..

Unread 07/20/2018, 09:33 AM   #10
Mike.B
Registered Member

As everyone has said already, salinity and temp, make sure they are exactly the same.

I just connected my 150g dt to the rest of my system which was about 70g with livestock and matched both salinity and temp and had no negative effects. I used the same brand of salt I had been using to try and keep the same parameters outside of salt/temp.

Mike.B is offline   Reply With Quote