Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/26/2021, 11:15 AM   #1
Jeremy0322
Registered Member

Jeremys Fluval Evo 5 office build

Setting up a small tank in my work office and wanted a place to talk about it so here we are. Will be a mostly stock tank to start out - hoping to have some easy to care for corals and a few inverts (nothing too needy as im only here so much time out of each week).

Plan is to remove the filter from the back chamber and use that for my heater and a place to mount my old HK nano that I have from previous builds. Lighting will stay stock for now. I have old live rock (probably 15 pounds) that I will be using and seeding with small amounts of new rock and live sand.

In an effort to increase water volume a little along with adding more natural filtration I am also considering using an old aquaclear 110 I have laying around as a fuge. It will be a small amount of sand, rock rubble, and chaeto most likely while also increasing the flow of the system (it will be restricted back). I had concerns about the weight of the filter on the glass wall but the tank seems to be built nicely so we will see what happens.

Because its in an office there was a concern about potential spills so I am having a tray made out of plexi that can hold 5 gallons of water. The tank will sit in there incase there is a failure of some sort and it should be able to hold most/all of the water from the system.

Thats the plan for now. Hoping to post pictures soon and as the tank comes along (photobucket has changed a lot since the last time I made a thread so I am searching for a new image hoster)

Jeremy0322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2021, 08:58 PM   #2
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Sounds nice! I'm looking forward to seeing this!

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2021, 09:49 AM   #3
Jeremy0322
Registered Member

Those are LARGE pictures - apologies but too lazy to retake/resize

I cant decide if that will be too heavy for the side of the tank or if it will be ok long term. I think it comes out to under 1.5 gallons so it will end up being about 11 lbs.

Last edited by Jeremy0322; 03/11/2021 at 10:02 AM.
Unread 03/17/2021, 11:26 AM   #4
Jeremy0322
Registered Member

So the aquascape is done and sand and water are in. Now we wait

Unread 03/18/2021, 01:41 PM   #5
colodano
Registered Member

Looking good so far!

colodano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2021, 10:00 AM   #6
Jeremy0322
Registered Member

Thanks! Currently just letting it cycle while I figure out the rest of the odds and ends. My guess is it may take a little longer than I'm used to because I'm not starting out with live rock. All of my rock has been in storage for a few years so I am hoping the sand seeds it enough. If I don't see anything happen in a few weeks ill probably source a small amount of live rock and add it in

It seems I don't have a working heater so I need to get that ordered (both of mine seem to just not want to shut off) and I'm still trying to decide if I should run the HOB or not. I found someone that had a HOB refugium on the same tank but the posts were from 4+ years ago and was never updated so I am not sure how that turned out

Unread 03/24/2021, 02:19 PM   #7
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

I ran chaeto in a HOB filter for many years. It will need to be trimmed back often.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote