Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/20/2018, 01:09 PM   #1
Sk8r
RC Mod

Benefits of a good skimmer

This item is not your swimming pool leaf-remover. This is actually a protein fractionator, to use the four-dollar name. And the more it foams instead of just bubbles, the more efficient it is. The foam should be sort of just short of whipping cream texture. Stands up in a spoon. The closer your system is to that, the more efficient it is.

It removes protein waste, which gets whipped into a nasty dark film, then a dark green froth and collected in a cup for removal. If you look at a cupful, the usual conclusion is that you don't want that in your water.

If you have a tank under 50 gallons, the bubbler type may do fine for you, because you don't produce that much waste. The larger the tank, the more you need one of the foamy sort.

It is useful in first, removing waste. This lowers nitrates. If you have really high nitrates and can't get rid of them, the skimmer is probably your shortcoming. Stony coral doesn't like nitrates. So if you're a reef, your need for 5 instead of 50 nitrates says---improve the skimmer.

The skimmer is one of the truly major reasons to have a sump: they're large, they're fussy, ugly when they're full, and some spit water in a power-out and restart. There ARE hang-on ones that can work without a sump. The Remora is an example, for a smaller tank.

The other thing they're good for is cleaning up your water after a problem---like cyano. Preparations you can use in your tank rely on a good skimmer to remove the dieoff of what you're trying to get rid of. Otherwise the treatment just sends the nutrient of your problem right back into the system to fuel another outbreak. Water changes can help some in that situation. But again, the skimmer is fitted to do that job quickly, efficiently, and without fuss.

Are the good ones inexpensive? Unfortunately, no. Could you make one? Yes. It would still cost a pump, the container, and a lot of engineering; and you might get it wrong. So at a certain point---figure that convenience and a proven design are going to be worth it. I rate it right up there with lighting and good flow, in my own scale of what-matters in a tank that's got some size to it.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 09:17 PM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Excellent on-point advice.
You can only appreciate its functionality after fully broken in and cup is full.
Yup, that WAS in your DT water.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 07:49 AM   #3
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Is there a good how to break in article? I turned mine on initially at a mid setting and left it for a day, then started making incremental adjustments. Had it running about a week now but I don't think it's fully broken in yet. Just starting to get a yellowish tan froth, but not much is falling into the cup.

Just be patient, or should I have started differently?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 07:59 AM   #4
rdnyva
Registered Member

Thanks for the info Sk8r. Very thought provoking. I have 150 gal tank. 5x2x2. I have a good size fish population and like to feed allot. What skimmer would you recommend?

Vertex Omega 180i Skimmer
ReefBreeders Photon 50 V2
rdnyva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 09:12 AM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

For Thornbreaker: in a new tank, there isn't that much to pull---yet. If you've got colored water, it's working; unless it's on an old tank---then it's not working enough. Mine is near black, older tank. But yes, you just keep adjusting the flow until it produces color.

For RDNVA, a type that uses a rubberized flexible impeller tends to produce the good foam. My own is an E-shopps, a model rated for a 200 gallon, but I use it on a 100. In all but the highest-end (spendiest) skimmers, going for a model advertised to handle twice your tank volume is a good match.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 04:19 PM   #6
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Break in is simply running it 24-7, starting from the lowest setting, keep incher her up until you get a frothy foam which kind of sticks to the top, if you go to far, the skim will be to wet. Strive for deep dark smelly green, but this my take some time.

Black? Holy man, I too have some way to go...

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote