Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/24/2020, 05:50 AM   #1
phishman1
Registered Member

Question about water changing

New tank, just cycled out about 7 days ago, parameters are now perfect. 46 Bowfront, live rock, sand etc. So far only a damsel, emerald crab, 8 assorted crabs, mexican red legs, one urchin, all thriving so far, obviously its early but I'm excited now.

Question: I hear and read so many things, people say when you tank first cycles, do a ten percent water change, then some say why do that yet, you just cycled and your water is basically perfect, wait for an ammonia spike it any before you do your first one.

I check the water every day at 11 AM, so far so good.

I want to add two clown fish now, might do it this week, should I just get and put in or water change first or wait till I add them and change then?

Also when would it be safe to put in a couple of very safe small corals? Xenia, Ricordia etc.

Would a Mandarin Goby be a good addition next after the clowns?

Thanks, sorry for so many answers, but anytime I've posted on here you all have been great at helping me...

phishman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2020, 08:09 AM   #2
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Your DT just cycled that is the first stage.
Be prepared for stage two, the uglies stage..........yes you can add the clowns but nothing else, and monitor ammonia lvls to be sure your bacteria lvl can handle them for the next few weeks.
If you add any corals at this point probably will be a regret its too early, at the very least even on softys algae will be forming on them, let the algae stages get under control, get used to keeping stable water params for a whle then in a few months as the tank matures & you get used to the routine you can then add soft corals & see how they do. Lateron in 6 months to a yr. you can swap out or add LPS corals and if patient & tank is clean SPS corals. Its a patience tester, my advice is you need to read everything you can about a new reef tank & what to expect .........its one of the largest learning curves to over come is the 1st yr of issues to stability.
Do NOT ever consider a Mandarin you have too small a tank & no pods in it to feed the fish it will die a starvation slow death i guarantee. Forget that one they must have a large established reef tank with a lot of live rock to host enough pods. You tube has endless videos on all of this, do more then just ask questions here on a new setup, its so vast the things you need to understand its faster & easier just to read & watch them then ask questions here if you are having an issue & why after educating yourself & maintaining patience, Time is your ally remember that you can not push faster then the tank can handle. Everything out there is beautiful & i realize how bad you want things in the DT now but it simply does not work that fast and do not trust folks at fish shops they are there to sell stuff & make money not tell you sage advice & turn away the cash.................This is NOT a instant gratitude hobby more like a trip to Mars sit back its gonna take better part of a yr. just to get there.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2020, 11:06 AM   #3
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I think the main reason for a water change after cycling is that Nitrate is high. If not, I wouldn't change it either.

I'll go ahead and second what the Oldreeferman said. All wise words.

Keep learning while you wait. Be a knowledge sponge. Apply your knowledge to come up with a two year plan, that includes your fish list, and order of introduction. Learn about the corals you want to keep and make a plan for them too. Having a plan will help you stay the course and do the right things.

It sounds like you're on the right track. Keep up the good work!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2020, 01:56 PM   #4
phishman1
Registered Member

Thank you guys, appreciated..........

I will hold off on the water change then, going to get water tomorrow from store just in case anything spikes in next week or so? Will get two clowns on Friday if parameters still stable....

phishman1 is offline   Reply With Quote