Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/05/2018, 02:09 AM   #1
rygar
Registered Member

sun coral experiment

So I recently started adding PE Calanus (a type of zooplankton) to the mix I feed my sun corals. After feeding this, they are open all night and well into the next day.
If you have sun corals, you know that if you wait too long to feed them, you have to spray them with some food, then wait forever, it seems like, for them to open.
Then it can be a race to feed them while they are open or after a few minutes they begin to close back up.
Now, they stay open.... Well over 12 hours
So I'd like someone else to add just this to their mix and see if they have similar results. Just because I'm curious. And maybe its a key ingredient in helping some that have a hard time with these corals to jump start them into feeding.

Last edited by rygar; 12/05/2018 at 02:15 AM.
rygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 11:18 AM   #2
West1
Registered Member

I had a 3 head suncoral, after about 1 month of feeding daily I got tired and stopped.
Its been about 5 months and I have about 7 heads now. They start to open about 2hrs before lights out and about 20min after lights out, they are fully extended.

I just picked up a dendro, see if I can keep them alive with my feeding schedule.

Interesting to see your results tho.

West1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2018, 01:10 AM   #3
manateemark
Registered Member

I’ve never had sun corals, but heard they’re hard to keep. Would love to see if this makes them easier to have survive.

manateemark is offline   Reply With Quote