Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2018, 08:04 PM   #2276
rc1626
Registered Member

How high are you all running them? Is there a recommended height? Currently over a standard 120.
Thanks.

rc1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2018, 06:30 PM   #2277
mtraylor
Registered Member

7" seems to be nice height. I have mine a bit lower. I have the 6300's.

Current Tank Info: 255 A.G.E Rimless mixed reef
mtraylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 03:24 PM   #2278
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Hi, How do you increase the light intensity setting on the LX 7206? When I go energy options on the GHL site, I raised the channels I want to increase to 130% but when you go into the Light Composer, you can only set the brightness and Color channel to 100%, how do I get the light channels up to 130%?

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Green Chromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 05:49 PM   #2279
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Chromis View Post
Hi, How do you increase the light intensity setting on the LX 7206? When I go energy options on the GHL site, I raised the channels I want to increase to 130% but when you go into the Light Composer, you can only set the brightness and Color channel to 100%, how do I get the light channels up to 130%?
Under energy options of GHL Control center, you can set the light to High Output mode and then go to the individual channels in energy options and set the max intensity (up to 130%) for each of the channels. That feature acts as a governor of sorts for each of the channels. Some channels you may want the extra power like blues for example but other channels you may never run anywhere near 100% such as red or white or green. So you can set those channels lower to like 70% and then set other channels to up to 130%. This allows other channels to shift the power to take advantage of the extra power. When you are in composer, you will still only see a max of 100% however at 100% you would be getting the max intensity that you set under power management for that channel whether is 70% max in power management or 130% max in power management. Truth is that even in high efficiency mode, these lights are very powerful and most would never need to run the channels at 100% let alone 130% but it’s there if you want it. Also, be sure to set the fan speed to 100% (also in power management) if you are switching the lights to high output mode.
Make sure you transmit the setting changes to the lights after making any changes.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2018, 08:18 AM   #2280
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Hi all, is anyone having problems with the GHL forms website, as I for got my password, and when I hit I for got my password, it ask for my email address, so I send it to them, and never receive a response, on how to change my password.

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Green Chromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2018, 09:29 AM   #2281
rc1626
Registered Member

Hi Scott,
I was wondering if you could help me out with an issue. I'm setting up 2 Mitras over my tank and currently have each running the same light schedule in standalone mode. I was looking to put one as master and one as slave but every time I do the slave mode Mitras starts randomly turning on and off cycling through Mitras colors. Not sure what I need to do to get this to stop and have them connect appropriately.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Rob

Unread 12/08/2018, 12:02 PM   #2282
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1626 View Post
Hi Scott,
I was wondering if you could help me out with an issue. I'm setting up 2 Mitras over my tank and currently have each running the same light schedule in standalone mode. I was looking to put one as master and one as slave but every time I do the slave mode Mitras starts randomly turning on and off cycling through Mitras colors. Not sure what I need to do to get this to stop and have them connect appropriately.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Rob
You might need to update the firmware. If you do that, make sure you update Wifi if these are LX7’s. That or maybe you have the lights set to demo mode or have storms enabled. Take a look at section 2.1 of the manual below, it discusses master/slave mode as well as storm settings and demo settings.
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/dow...ming-Guide.pdf

This manual goes through the various settings in GCC.
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/dow...xxx-Manual.pdf

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 12/08/2018, 12:40 PM   #2283
rc1626
Registered Member

Thanks so much. I'm going to have to play a little. I appreciate the help.
Rob

Unread 12/08/2018, 01:01 PM   #2284
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks so much. I'm going to have to play a little. I appreciate the help.
Rob
Glad to help. The symptoms you are describing do sound like the light was in demo mode. In demo mode, it will cycle through color channels and the flashing you described sounds like storms were enabled which may also be a function of demo mode.

Unread 12/08/2018, 01:13 PM   #2285
rc1626
Registered Member

They are brand new LX7's with the firmware being 1.08 on both. Don't have the time now but will definitely play around with them later and let you know what I come up with.
Thanks again. Again, in standalone mode they function and run my schedule perfectly.

Unread 12/09/2018, 08:02 PM   #2286
rc1626
Registered Member

Okay so I think I figured out the issue. I installed a PLM-PWC in my P4 to wirelessly control the Mitras through the P4. When you do this the P4 acts as the master where the Mitras (however many you have) are all set to slave or so it seems. This got both my Mitras working together.

One other issue I have now is when my light schedule dimmed down at the end of the night both my Mitras's red leds stayed lit at what looks like full power for about another 8.5 hours then turn off for a few hours before the start of the light schedule for next day. Noticed red leds on last night after schedule complete and after doing a test illumination run was able to see when it turned off. This is not present in my light schedule at all.

I did update my Mitras firmware from 1.08 to 1.09. I have not updated my P4 firmware yet. That I will do tonight. Currently running 7.15.

P4 Wifi module firmware is currently 6772 and Mitras Wifi module firmware is 6816. Not sure what latest is for each or where to find out?

Unread 12/10/2018, 10:24 AM   #2287
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Okay so I think I figured out the issue. I installed a PLM-PWC in my P4 to wirelessly control the Mitras through the P4. When you do this the P4 acts as the master where the Mitras (however many you have) are all set to slave or so it seems. This got both my Mitras working together.

One other issue I have now is when my light schedule dimmed down at the end of the night both my Mitras's red leds stayed lit at what looks like full power for about another 8.5 hours then turn off for a few hours before the start of the light schedule for next day. Noticed red leds on last night after schedule complete and after doing a test illumination run was able to see when it turned off. This is not present in my light schedule at all.

I did update my Mitras firmware from 1.08 to 1.09. I have not updated my P4 firmware yet. That I will do tonight. Currently running 7.15.

P4 Wifi module firmware is currently 6772 and Mitras Wifi module firmware is 6816. Not sure what latest is for each or where to find out?
Yes, your P4 will act as the master and all lights should be setup as slaves if your are using your P4 to control the Mitras. As for it not shutting off at the end of the schedule, you need to make sure both end points are set to 0. I suspect and save the light project to the lights/controller when you do so. If you haven't figured it out, maybe take a screen shot of your light schedule showing the graph in light composer and post it here so we can see what you have programmed.

The latest firmware and wifi firmware for the P4 and Mitras is included with each new version of GCC. So you can check the folders in the the GCC download under wifi to see what version is in there. That said, if you download the latest GCC, you should backup your P4 first and then update both the firmware and wifi. Also be sure you have saved your Composer project files. And if you update your Mitras, you should also update the wifi firmware.

Last edited by slief; 12/10/2018 at 10:30 AM.
Unread 12/10/2018, 07:07 PM   #2288
rc1626
Registered Member

Finally, working correctly. Upgraded the firmware on the P4 and reinstalled my light schedule and now working correctly. Thanks for all the help and things to look for Scott.
Much appreciated.

Unread 12/10/2018, 08:42 PM   #2289
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Finally, working correctly. Upgraded the firmware on the P4 and reinstalled my light schedule and now working correctly. Thanks for all the help and things to look for Scott.
Much appreciated.
Great to hear and glad to help! I think you’re going to love those lights!

Unread 12/13/2018, 07:06 AM   #2290
Reefheart
Registered Member

Hi Slief and guys.

I have just installed my Mitras LX7 but I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the difference/relation between the single "Brightness %" setting vs the multiple color channels %? I thought the color channel % mean the same thing, i.e. 100% blue means the blue channel is 100% bright.

2. Once I made the adjustments, how do I officially "activate" the program? As soon as I click the Transmit to channels and save to lamp correct?

Thanks.

Last edited by Reefheart; 12/13/2018 at 07:58 AM.
Reefheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2018, 10:10 AM   #2291
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefheart View Post
Hi Slief and guys.

I have just installed my Mitras LX7 but I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the difference/relation between the single "Brightness %" setting vs the multiple color channels %? I thought the color channel % mean the same thing, i.e. 100% blue means the blue channel is 100% bright.

2. Once I made the adjustments, how do I officially "activate" the program? As soon as I click the Transmit to channels and save to lamp correct?

Thanks.
The single brightness setting is how you create your overall color spectrum. In composer, you can use the individual channel intensities to create different kelvins for different times of the day as an example and you do this by adjusting the intensity of each channel. This ultimately has no impact on the brightness of the fixture as you set that using the overall intensity percentage. So you might start your ramp at 9AM at 20,000k and 0% and ramp up to 75% overall intensity at noon and keep it at 75% overall intensity until 4PM at which point you start ramping back down to 0% 20,000k. Or you could start at 0% 20,000k and ramp up to 75% at 14,000k, 14,000k would require different individual channel intensities than 20,000k since 20,000k would have more blue and less white where as 14,000k would have more white light than 20,000k.

My suggestion is to watch these videos. They will teach you how to use GHL Composer in GCC and how to save it to the fixture but once you are done creating a project in composer, you save the project to your system and then Transmit it to the lights. That will activate your new lights schedule.

Unread 12/14/2018, 04:10 PM   #2292
Reefheart
Registered Member

Thanks Slief, those videos and subsqeuent ones helped alot. Basically, if I understand it right, the individual channel % most important for setting ratios between the colors to achieve the spectrum you want.

So hypothetically, if you set all channels the same, it does not matter whether all are at 50% or all at 100% because the color specttrum will be the same?

Reefheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2018, 04:13 PM   #2293
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefheart View Post
Thanks Slief, those videos and subsqeuent ones helped alot. Basically, if I understand it right, the individual channel % most important for setting ratios between the colors to achieve the spectrum you want.

So hypothetically, if you set all channels the same, it does not matter whether all are at 50% or all at 100% because the color specttrum will be the same?
You understand correctly.

Unread 12/21/2018, 08:30 PM   #2294
nycman
Registered Member

Mitras for cichlids

I know a bit off topic, but...

I have 4 LX7200s over a 72" reef tank, and another 3 freshwater LX7000s over a 5 foot planted tank. Happy with all of this.

Am now adding another freshwater tank - 60L 30W 30H and wanting to go with LX7200s (marine lights) on it, because it will be African Cichlids who seem to look good with more actinic light, the marine light seems to offer more options for higher K values. And was thinking of only 2 fixtures over this tank since bright lighting is not a requirement of African Cichlids. So two fixtures, and the marine fixture, not freshwater.

Does this make sense?

Aqua UV 28W
nycman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2018, 10:37 PM   #2295
Conor_K
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Those are discontinued 8020 mounts. You could use the GHL Flex mounts and then add an Articulating Mount to the Flex Mount to rotate and angle them.

Almost ready to hang lights.
Wondering if these articulating mounts are 3” from base of mount to top of light or 3” to bottom of light.

Or some thing different. I know it’s a minor difference but with the canopy i built, trying to keep things tight.

Thanks,
C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conor_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2018, 12:37 AM   #2296
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor_K View Post
Almost ready to hang lights.
Wondering if these articulating mounts are 3” from base of mount to top of light or 3” to bottom of light.

Or some thing different. I know it’s a minor difference but with the canopy i built, trying to keep things tight.

Thanks,
C

I just measured them. They hang down about 4” to the top of the light. That includes the 1” spacer between the adapter bracket & the fixture.

Unread 01/14/2019, 06:46 PM   #2297
Chris k
Registered Member

Hi i currently have a 6100hv over my 3 foot tank. I am in the process of upgrading to a 5 foot I have a second 6100hv in storage. My question is would it be worth my while to upgrade my clusters to the 6300. Would I see a big difference. I don't really have the budget to get the lx7 but there is a few second hand radion xr30 pros for sale locally

Chris k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2019, 11:25 PM   #2298
Conor_K
Registered Member

Well, I finally have my 7206’s hung, updated, and running.

Big thanks to slief for all the information and support.
This has been quiet the process for me.

I’ll post pics tomorrow.
Perhaps the last question:

Where is the best place to find lighr schedules?
There seems to be only a half dozen or so on ghl’s site.

Cheers,
Conor

Conor_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2019, 10:12 AM   #2299
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor_K View Post
Well, I finally have my 7206’s hung, updated, and running.

Big thanks to slief for all the information and support.
This has been quiet the process for me.

I’ll post pics tomorrow.
Perhaps the last question:

Where is the best place to find lighr schedules?
There seems to be only a half dozen or so on ghl’s site.

Cheers,
Conor

That is where I would suggest starting. There are some good ones there.Reefrockers or D2Mini’s would be a good start.

Unread 01/21/2019, 08:53 PM   #2300
nycman
Registered Member

there is a program recommended by Vinny from ghl that moves the light from ~21K to ~17.5K and back, using energy options. you can find it on this thread - look for screen prints. I am using this one. And my SPS are loving it. Actually the whole tank is loving it.

Aqua UV 28W
nycman is offline   Reply With Quote