Reef Central Online Community
The Filter Guys

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05/13/2017, 01:22 PM   #26
juanmanuelsanch
Registered Member

the link works... but I would post more than one. Is the fish eating?

juanmanuelsanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2017, 02:02 PM   #27
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmanuelsanch View Post
the link works... but I would post more than one. Is the fish eating?
He didn't eat yesterday when I fed them and I haven't tried yet today but I'm assuming he still wont. Then again I did dose some cupramine though so maybe that will relieve some of the stress so I'll try to feed him when I get home. Gobies still eating. I'm sorry about only posting one pic. Like I said I have to use pictures I already have on my phone since I'm at work. That's the only recent picture I have right now. I should be home in an hour so I'll post more pics then! Thanks

Reefer1991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2017, 03:46 PM   #28
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Here's a couple more pics
https://plus.google.com/107054426560...ts/BHFixMmW5Xj

Depending on the lighting, his dorsal fin looks milky white, and at other angles it has a dusty gold sheen so I am definitely thinking velvet. Since he's still swimming I'm hoping he can make a comeback now that he's being treated with cp. How long would it be until I started to see improvement using this medication?

Old 05/13/2017, 05:03 PM   #29
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Some people say to give fish a fw dip to relieve them. Should I do this? I feel like it will just stress him more even though he doesn't look like he has much time anyway. Would the dip make most of the velvet on him drop off of him and help him out?

Old 05/13/2017, 05:40 PM   #30
juanmanuelsanch
Registered Member

No... it will kill it, thats way to much stress. Will probably cause a heart attack. Been there done that

Old 05/13/2017, 05:41 PM   #31
juanmanuelsanch
Registered Member

I cant see anything really wrong in the pics. Just be patient.

Old 05/13/2017, 07:43 PM   #32
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
Yep I feel like every picture and video I post doesn't show truly how bad of shape the fish is in. The velvet is very hard for me to spot and I see the fish first hand, so the camera doesnt really pick it up. When I watch him he will just slowly drift around and every once in a while he stops moving completely and then "twitches back to life". He swims with his body at an angle like he doesn't have the energy to keep himself upright. Also breathing very fast and heavy. I tried to feed him and he showed no interest. Goby ate so I'm assuming he built up a partial immunity. I will carry out the 4 weeks of cp on the goby even if the CB dies. I tested the cp level and it is .25 and my sg is up to 1.012. I'll dose the level up to .375 tomorrow night or the next day. At this point I guess all I can do is sit back and hope the fish makes it.

Old 05/13/2017, 07:51 PM   #33
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
Yep I feel like every picture and video I post doesn't show truly how bad of shape the fish is in. The velvet is very hard for me to spot and I see the fish first hand, so the camera doesnt really pick it up. When I watch him he will just slowly drift around and every once in a while he stops moving completely and then "twitches back to life". He swims with his body at an angle like he doesn't have the energy to keep himself upright. Also breathing very fast and heavy. I tried to feed him and he showed no interest. Goby ate so I'm assuming he built up a partial immunity. I will carry out the 4 weeks of cp on the goby even if the CB dies. I tested the cp level and it is .25 and my sg is up to 1.012. I'll dose the level up to .375 tomorrow night or the next day. At this point I guess all I can do is sit back and hope the fish makes it.

Old 05/14/2017, 12:48 PM   #34
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Now he has a small lump on the top left side of his head. It's not discolored or anything.

https://plus.google.com/107054426560...ts/cPFub3uC5qV

Old 05/14/2017, 04:03 PM   #35
juanmanuelsanch
Registered Member

well... if the fish is still alive thats good news. I didnt think the guy could survive the night.

Just keep doing it slow. And see what happens. Cupramine is venenous for almost everything in a tank.

A good news would be if it starts eating again. But then again... its just a matter of time. Dont doze anything else (like prazipro) do not mix medicines.

Also dont buy garlic or any of that crap. If the fish is hungry it will eat. Just keep your water and tank as clean as possible.

Old 05/15/2017, 10:49 AM   #36
Mishri
Registered Member

The HoB filter with the carbon filter pads do almost nothing for filtration. You'll want one like the Aquaclear style where the water comes up through sponges/filter media.

You'll also need to remove the carbon or it will remove the Cupramine. (CP is Chloroquine Phosphate, not cupramine)

PH - You need to test your PH, besides matching temperature and Salinity you need to match PH, it's tough/lethal on fish if you don't slowly change PH.

I can't see any of the pics or vids because I can't go to plus.google.com, firewall blocks it. Most other image hosting sites I can see. But your description does sound like velvet. Chloroquine Phosphate is considered the best and most effective treatment for velvet. You can get it on ebay or amazon. Get the powder, not the food. 10mg/L for 20 days(1 single dose, don't continue to dose) will knock it out. Fish have lived through 100mg/L of the stuff so it's tough to OD them on it... a lot of people do 15-20mg/L. You usually see results very quickly with it. -and like I said before, you can ask a vet for it too as most stores don't carry it.

You can do a freshwater bath, recommendation is to set sg to 1.001 with Methylene Blue at double the tank dosage for 3 minutes in a bucket.. 5 minutes maximum. This will provide relief to the fish.

Have you been regularly testing your ammonia?

-The bump on his head might be an infection.. can't see it though... but it's fairly common and an anti-bacterial might be needed.

Last edited by Mishri; 05/15/2017 at 11:01 AM.
Mishri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2017, 06:03 PM   #37
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishri View Post
The HoB filter with the carbon filter pads do almost nothing for filtration. You'll want one like the Aquaclear style where the water comes up through sponges/filter media.

You'll also need to remove the carbon or it will remove the Cupramine. (CP is Chloroquine Phosphate, not cupramine)

PH - You need to test your PH, besides matching temperature and Salinity you need to match PH, it's tough/lethal on fish if you don't slowly change PH.

I can't see any of the pics or vids because I can't go to plus.google.com, firewall blocks it. Most other image hosting sites I can see. But your description does sound like velvet. Chloroquine Phosphate is considered the best and most effective treatment for velvet. You can get it on ebay or amazon. Get the powder, not the food. 10mg/L for 20 days(1 single dose, don't continue to dose) will knock it out. Fish have lived through 100mg/L of the stuff so it's tough to OD them on it... a lot of people do 15-20mg/L. You usually see results very quickly with it. -and like I said before, you can ask a vet for it too as most stores don't carry it.

You can do a freshwater bath, recommendation is to set sg to 1.001 with Methylene Blue at double the tank dosage for 3 minutes in a bucket.. 5 minutes maximum. This will provide relief to the fish.

Have you been regularly testing your ammonia?

-The bump on his head might be an infection.. can't see it though... but it's fairly common and an anti-bacterial might be needed.

The ph is around 8 so that's no worry. I have been testing ammonia, I had one spike that got up to .5-1.0 because nori got clogged in the filter. That's taken care of now. I have 3 sponge pads seeded with bacteria and one carbon filter pad. I took the one carbon filter pad out. I only used it to clear the water after a water change. The bump had turned white and there is another one on the right side of his face and another forming on his side. It looks somewhat like lympho, but can't that only form on fins? I am using cupramine as an alternative for the chloroquine
Phosphate because it's more readily available for me. I'll attach pics of the white bumps on the fish. Sorry they're not the best quality

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170515_195334.jpg (39.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20170515_195253.jpg (47.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 05/15/2017, 06:19 PM   #38
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Wow the fish actually ate.

Old 05/15/2017, 10:51 PM   #39
juanmanuelsanch
Registered Member

well I use cupramine and paraguard as part of my quarantine process. Chloroquine Phosphate is a pain to get as well as Formaldehyde.

Anyway, if the fish is eating thats a good sign. Just try to keep everything as stable as possible. Dose the medicine. And just keep monitoring.

Dont get your hopes up tho.

Also the white spot could be a parasite, cupramine should kill it. IF its not and its something like a fungus you will need to finish the treatment before trying something else.

Old 05/16/2017, 09:27 AM   #40
Reefer1991
Registered Member

He's starting to swim around more like he used to and is getting his personality back instead of sitting in one place like a zombie. The breathing is still pretty fast but it has slowed significantly compared to the past couple of days. I know he's not in the clear yet but this fish practically came back from the dead haha. I'm surprised he has lasted this long with velvet.... he must really have a will to live. How long should i keep up with the cupramine treatment? 30 days?

Old 05/16/2017, 12:27 PM   #41
juanmanuelsanch
Registered Member

Usually the recommendation is 2 weeks. But again, you can have for a month if necessary.

Old 05/16/2017, 04:08 PM   #42
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Sweet I'll do 2 weeks cp and then 1 week observation then I'll put him in his permanent home. What would you recommend for treating the infection once I'm done treating with cupramine? It looks kind of like lympho but I'm pretty sure it's something else. Thank you for all your help.

Old 05/16/2017, 06:39 PM   #43
juanmanuelsanch
Registered Member

Just wait... Keep the water as clean as possible and see how the guy does. Other diseases or affection can show because of the weak state. He can recover on its own. I wouldn't buy anything at the moment.

Just keep us informed about how is the little guy doing.

Old 05/17/2017, 07:33 AM   #44
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Will do. Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.

Old 05/19/2017, 04:22 PM   #45
juanmanuelsanch
Registered Member

hows the little guy doing?

Old 05/19/2017, 07:53 PM   #46
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
hows the little guy doing?
He's still alive and looks a lot better. He hasnt really been eating much. Maybe one peice of mysis shrimp per feeding(once in the a.m before work and once at night after work) but he atleast looks interested. I'm thinking he is probably just under a lot of stress from the cupramine and the aftermath of the velvet. The white bumps are slowly fading away. He's a lot more skittish now than he used to be and twitches now and then but I'm hoping that will all stop by the end of the treatment. Right now my plan is to keep them in the cp treatment until 5/31 then do a large wc with carbon and observe for 1 week while raising sg to 1.026. It's still at 1.011 and the fish are handling it find with the cp. If all goes well...... then I'll plop em in the display.

Old 05/19/2017, 08:01 PM   #47
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Not the best pics but here he is and his buddy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170519_215727.jpg (24.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20170519_215755(0).jpg (33.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20170519_220523.jpg (33.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 05/19/2017, 08:56 PM   #48
Reefer1991
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure the pale spot on his side in the second picture is from one of the bumps that started to grow but died due to the cupramine. I'm keeping an eye on it for now.

Old 05/20/2017, 11:10 AM   #49
juanmanuelsanch
Registered Member

I would slowly get out of the hypo to normal levels, you will have to anyway to put them in the display tank.

Once you are in a normal salinity level and done with the treatment, I would keep an eye on them without medication for 2 weeks to see how that goes.

Old 05/20/2017, 03:50 PM   #50
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
I would slowly get out of the hypo to normal levels, you will have to anyway to put them in the display tank.

Once you are in a normal salinity level and done with the treatment, I would keep an eye on them without medication for 2 weeks to see how that goes.
Alright I'll start raising the salinity again and I'll do atleast 2 weeks observation. After I said 1 week observation I realized that was too short and I would probably end up regretting it. I'll post some updates as we go

Tags
coral beauty, sick coral beauty, sick fish, swim bladder, trouble swimming