Reef Central Online Community
Tampa Bay Saltwater

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 05/05/2017, 03:20 PM   #251
aquavista99
Registered Member
 
aquavista99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 502
Blog Entries: 1
Thank you and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Obergfell View Post
Wow!
So beautiful



aquavista99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2017, 03:21 PM   #252
aquavista99
Registered Member
 
aquavista99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 502
Blog Entries: 1
Always heard great things about sea swirls too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Obergfell View Post
I believe sea swirls are great.
I've used them for years
If I didn't have rimless, I would use them




Last edited by aquavista99; 05/05/2017 at 03:37 PM.
aquavista99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2017, 03:31 PM   #253
aquavista99
Registered Member
 
aquavista99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 502
Blog Entries: 1
Some very special fish will arrive this Saturday morning from my friends @Coral Reef TN

Domino Clownfish pair





Phantom Clownfish pair Notice all the blue coloration on these show quality gems










aquavista99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2017, 03:37 PM   #254
reefwiser
Registered Member
 
reefwiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Louisville,Kentucky
Posts: 1,158
Very nice clowns Tim.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


__________________
President Louisville Marine Aquarium Society.
http://www.lmas.org/
The 3rd Annual Frag swap will be held
September 23rd,2017 11 am till 3pm
Saint Thomas Fellowship hall,9616 Westport Road,Louisvi
reefwiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2017, 07:49 PM   #255
locito277
Registered Member
 
locito277's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: miami
Posts: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquavista99 View Post
Some very special fish will arrive this Saturday morning from my friends @Coral Reef TN



Domino Clownfish pair











Phantom Clownfish pair Notice all the blue coloration on these show quality gems

















Beautiful fish!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


__________________
Nothings Free in this hobby

Current Tank Info: 224 and 720 gallon in progress!
locito277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2017, 09:54 PM   #256
vikinglord13
Registered Member
 
vikinglord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: My tank is in Orange, California, USA. ... I live in Escondido, California, USA.
Posts: 380
those phantom clowns are awesome! What are they a hybrid of, do you know?


vikinglord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2017, 10:10 PM   #257
Bratyboy2
Registered Member
 
Bratyboy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tallmadge Ohio
Posts: 922
Holy crap those blue snowflakes are gorgeous!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk


Bratyboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2017, 08:54 AM   #258
aquavista99
Registered Member
 
aquavista99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 502
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks, Ed! They look even better in person!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwiser View Post
Very nice clowns Tim.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes indeed, Daniel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by locito277 View Post
Beautiful fish!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not exactly sure how they get the blue coloration but the Phantom clownfish are absolutely stunning to see in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikinglord13 View Post
those phantom clowns are awesome! What are they a hybrid of, do you know?
Jaw dropping gorgeous! The Domino Clownfish are stunning as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratyboy2 View Post
Holy crap those blue snowflakes are gorgeous! Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk



aquavista99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2017, 03:18 PM   #259
GAS74
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Garda lake
Posts: 1
Fantastic aquarium I follow with great interest, congratulations for your sps selection, in italy with great difficulty there are such beautiful animals.


GAS74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2017, 04:21 PM   #260
aquavista99
Registered Member
 
aquavista99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 502
Blog Entries: 1
Thank you very much for the the compliment and glad share my journey with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS74 View Post
Fantastic aquarium I follow with great interest, congratulations for your sps selection, in italy with great difficulty there are such beautiful animals.



aquavista99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2017, 09:31 PM   #261
Chris_S
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 32
Any new fish?


__________________
Chris
Chris_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2017, 09:37 PM   #262
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 395
Its simply awe inspiring to see and learn so much from the build.

Well, I am very fortunate to have one of your named acropora from Big E - AV99's blueberry cheesecake acropora . Just a little frag for only a week old and waiting to color up . Any tips ??

Regards,
Abhishek


abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2017, 08:09 AM   #263
Chris_S
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 32
That blue coloration on your clowns is definitely unique. Be sure to make a video of them when you get a chance. I've never even heard of blue on a clownfish before.


__________________
Chris
Chris_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/2017, 09:36 PM   #264
aquavista99
Registered Member
 
aquavista99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 502
Blog Entries: 1
Thank you for the amazing compliment, Abhishek. The AV99 Blueberry Cheesecake was one of my favorites from my last reef project years ago. It did not survive the move to the new house and reminds me of the Orange passion. Like most sticks, it does best in higher light with lots of indirect flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Its simply awe inspiring to see and learn so much from the build.

Well, I am very fortunate to have one of your named acropora from Big E - AV99's blueberry cheesecake acropora . Just a little frag for only a week old and waiting to color up . Any tips ??

Regards,
Abhishek



aquavista99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/2017, 09:56 PM   #265
aquavista99
Registered Member
 
aquavista99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 502
Blog Entries: 1
I have always wanted a bonded pair of show quality Phantoms but never seen them with beautiful blue markings before. I was told by the vendor that they would not normally sell a large bonded pair like this as they would use them for brood stock to spawn eggs. I will be sure to post pictures and possibly a video of the pair in the future. Stay tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_S View Post
That blue coloration on your clowns is definitely unique. Be sure to make a video of them when you get a chance. I've never even heard of blue on a clownfish before.



aquavista99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2017, 08:51 PM   #266
aquavista99
Registered Member
 
aquavista99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 502
Blog Entries: 1
**Update** Perhaps the single most important piece of equipment for long-term stability of a large reef system, in my opinion, to be installed soon. It looks like I will be doing some landscape work this weekend (ie, removal of boxwood shrubs) before my electrician returns to complete this phase of my build thread for the direct benefit of my new reef project. Up next will be the installation of the whole house [natural gas] generator.























aquavista99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2017, 10:14 PM   #267
locito277
Registered Member
 
locito277's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: miami
Posts: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquavista99 View Post
**Update** Perhaps the single most important piece of equipment for long-term stability of a large reef system, in my opinion, to be installed soon. It looks like I will be doing some landscape work this weekend (ie, removal of boxwood shrubs) before my electrician returns to complete this phase of my build thread for the direct benefit of my new reef project. Up next will be the installation of the whole house [natural gas] generator.











































That is awesome. I have been shopping around. Will 22 k run your house or just your tank? I was told that I needed at least 50 k. Difference in price is insane :-(


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


__________________
Nothings Free in this hobby

Current Tank Info: 224 and 720 gallon in progress!
locito277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2017, 10:10 AM   #268
Atomic081
Registered Member
 
Atomic081's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rushville, IN
Posts: 425
Amazing setup Tim! I was excited to see this tread up after meeting you multiple times at local swaps!

Ross


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


__________________
Ross

INDMAS Member

Current Tank Info: 225 Gallon Reef with fish room.
Atomic081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2017, 11:59 AM   #269
Chris_S
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 32
A generac 22k will power an average sized home with 5 ton heat pump without issue.


__________________
Chris
Chris_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2017, 01:56 PM   #270
aquavista99
Registered Member
 
aquavista99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 502
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks, Daniel! The generator is for the whole house but my primary goal is to keep the reef going during an outage and heating or cooling operational as well. There may be some limitations after we perform a load test on all the appliances though. For example, a five ton a/c unit uses about the same load as a laundry dryer ...so maybe I will not be doing laundry during an outage.


Quote:
Originally Posted by locito277 View Post
That is awesome. I have been shopping around. Will 22 k run your house or just your tank? I was told that I needed at least 50 k. Difference in price is insane :-(


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you very much for the compliment & glad you found my build thread, Ross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic081 View Post
Amazing setup Tim! I was excited to see this tread up after meeting you multiple times at local swaps!

Ross


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know and thank you, Chris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_S View Post
A generac 22k will power an average sized home with 5 ton heat pump without issue.



aquavista99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2017, 03:59 PM   #271
locito277
Registered Member
 
locito277's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: miami
Posts: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquavista99 View Post
Thanks, Daniel! The generator is for the whole house but my primary goal is to keep the reef going during an outage and heating or cooling operational as well. There may be some limitations after we perform a load test on all the appliances though. For example, a five ton a/c unit uses about the same load as a laundry dryer ...so maybe I will not be doing laundry during an outage.









Thank you very much for the compliment & glad you found my build thread, Ross.







Good to know and thank you, Chris!


That's exactly what I need. What I do t understand is how will it k ow what to power on and what not to?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


__________________
Nothings Free in this hobby

Current Tank Info: 224 and 720 gallon in progress!
locito277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2017, 08:49 PM   #272
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!
 
maxxII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,408
Forgive my manners in asking this, (Not trolling), but with all the high end equipment you've been using and selecting for this set up, why the American Marine Pinpoint pH controller?

I've used their pH monitors and Salinity monitors in the past and wasnt impressed with their ability to stay calibrated over a 30 day period. Some of it was admittedly due to the single junction pH probes I was using, vs the newer and better dual junction probes, but still the swing of 8.2 down to 7.2 during a 2 week period was ridiculous.

Have you not seen similar issues?

I would have figured you for an Apex or a GHL Profilux controller kind of guy and it doesnt appear that you are using a controller?

Not knocking you and not trying to be rude, but I noticed these and was just curious.

Obviously you know what you're doing, because your sps are gorgeous and the system in the making is impressive.

Thank you for sharing.


__________________
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend
will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn, that was fun!"
maxxII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/26/2017, 03:42 PM   #273
aquavista99
Registered Member
 
aquavista99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 502
Blog Entries: 1
No offense taken at all and thank you for the question. Going back over a decade, I have been using Pinpoint controllers to monitor my calcium reactor. Some controllers were in operation for many years as well.

I have always had good luck with the Pinpoint pH controllers in regards to reliability and dependability. Just about every PH probe I use has a limited life span inside the calcium reactor itself, but for the most part, Pinpoint pH controllers have worked well for me in the past.

I have always maintained an old school reef where I try to keep things as simple as possible. Down the road I will probably add an Apex to the big tank or something else that will allow me to monitor my system from remote locations. I still manually add top off water to my reef too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxII View Post
Forgive my manners in asking this, (Not trolling), but with all the high end equipment you've been using and selecting for this set up, why the American Marine Pinpoint pH controller?



aquavista99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/26/2017, 09:49 PM   #274
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!
 
maxxII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,408
That makes sense and it's pretty much what I had assumed.

I bought an Apex on Black Friday....it's still in the box. Once you get in the habit of doing things a certain way, it's tough to change the routine. Especially when you're as successful as you are.

Thanks for explaining, and thanks again for sharing.


__________________
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend
will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn, that was fun!"
maxxII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/30/2017, 10:39 AM   #275
anbosu
Registered Member
 
anbosu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mount Juliet, TN
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by locito277 View Post
That's exactly what I need. What I do t understand is how will it k ow what to power on and what not to?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most of these generators come with an auto switch over functionality. I don't know exactly how they work, but I would imagine it detects a loss of power and fires up.


anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:54 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014