Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/16/2018, 09:35 PM   #1
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Neptune OS-1 Optical Switch Failure

Curious if anyone has had issues with the OS-1 optical switch? One of mine is 'stuck' CLOSED and I cannot figure out why. I've checked all the user error things I can think of. Perhaps the prism is dirty - but would that trigger CLOSED?

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 10:03 PM   #2
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Curious if anyone has had issues with the OS-1 optical switch? One of mine is 'stuck' CLOSED and I cannot figure out why. I've checked all the user error things I can think of. Perhaps the prism is dirty - but would that trigger CLOSED?
Yes, my “Low Sump” one literally just did the same thing yesterday! I’ve cleaned it, unplugged it, updated and unplugged my FMM...nothing.

My “High Sump” is still kickin’, plugged into #2 port right beside the faulty one.

Unread 04/16/2018, 10:17 PM   #3
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Wait...just checked my programming; mine is stuck “Open”

Unread 04/16/2018, 10:36 PM   #4
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Wow, I’m really losing my mind, for some reason my programming had changed for my sensors. This is very very odd now.

My “low” is swx11_1 but it showed using 11_2(“high”) in my programming
My “high” is swx11_2 but it showed using 11_3(empty) in my programming

Some how my programming changed. I’ve been using this sensor setup for almost, if not over a year. It was working correctly for that long. Why did it change? I haven’t updated firmware or software lately. Only thing I’ve done since I’ve noticed it giving “false” sump low warnings was unplug my FMM multiple times. That’s the only “major” thing I’ve done.

So, could you double check your programming and switch locations? If you haven’t already.

Unread 04/17/2018, 07:24 AM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Yeah my programming is still as I intended; switch just stuck. Must admit I'm losing the faith a bit with the apex. Had more issues with the 2016 apex and peripherals over the last six months than in the entire 5 years I owned the classic. I no longer view it as a controller .... more just a monitor as I don't trust it to do much more than monitor and send alerts.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 04/17/2018, 08:17 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I've been curious about how many "issues" would arise from these..
They are very low cost "China" items... Failures should be expected..
They from what I've seen can easily be "tricked" by contaminates getting in the way,etc..
Its the #1 reason I have been holding off on switching my ATO system to these..

At this time I have more faith in regular float switches vs these solutions as far as reliability..
This is not the bleeding edge I want to be on..

Unread 04/17/2018, 08:25 AM   #7
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Its the #1 reason I have been holding off on switching my ATO system to these.
I think that is wise. I use the optical switches to alert to potential problems (level too high in the display or in the overflow box) but will not use them for the ATO. I use an avast pressure switch and backup Madison floats for that. Tried and true.