Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/15/2010, 09:59 AM   #26
Terryz_
Registered Member

Dark Purple Dendro (14/12/10 - Present)

Got a Dark Purple Dendro from my LFS yesterday.
But this guy is a bit weird, the polyps are hard unlike what I have kept before. Different species.

Terryz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2010, 07:10 PM   #27
slapshot
Registered Member

Here is a weird one guys. So I hit an aiptasia anemone with some kalk and water and some of it fell on this dendron.

It clearly did not like that and retracted. The next morning I woke up to this:

Some how it split in two and attached itself to cave behind the original. How did it do that? Anyone have an idea? If you look in the cave you can see it is upside down, deep in the cave.

Last edited by slapshot; 12/16/2010 at 07:15 PM.
slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2010, 10:51 PM   #28
uhuru
Registered Member

Thats wild. What direction is your flow moving? Maybe the kalk burned off a branch of the dendro and the flow carried it to the back of the cave. Thats kind of far fetched but I can't think of any reason that wouldn't sound far fetched!

uhuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2010, 02:00 AM   #29
Terryz_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
Here is a weird one guys. So I hit an aiptasia anemone with some kalk and water and some of it fell on this dendron.

It clearly did not like that and retracted. The next morning I woke up to this:

Some how it split in two and attached itself to cave behind the original. How did it do that? Anyone have an idea? If you look in the cave you can see it is upside down, deep in the cave.
This is interesting.. Maybe like what uhuru, it might have spilted due to the kalk... I have a branch that kind of broke off from the main colony and stuck to the sand and opening well...

Terryz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2010, 06:47 AM   #30
slapshot
Registered Member

Yea it's weird. I blew the kalk off of it immediately. I find it weird that it attached it's self on the top of the cave over night. The current could have pushed it into there but if you look at the picture the part came off the front. It would have have to climb over the
mother colony. I do know, it is a mystery. Does this mean they are capable of asexual reproduction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by slapshot; 12/17/2010 at 07:24 AM.
Unread 12/22/2010, 05:49 AM   #31
Hans-Werner
Registered Member

Yes, look here.

Hans-Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2010, 09:17 AM   #32
slapshot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Werner View Post
Yes, look here.
That explains the little one growing in the sand. Nice find Hans....thanks!

Unread 01/19/2011, 07:18 AM   #33
victor escobar
Registered Member

Excuse me for interrupting a little bite your discussion but I wanted to tell you that I've got a dendronephthya umbellata that only opens during the day. Is that normal? Which are the consequences?

victor escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2011, 10:38 AM   #34
slapshot
Registered Member

Just updating. This Dendron has perished. It just disappeared. It never recovered from the Kalk incident. Interestingly it dropped a baby when i first put it in the tank. That continues to grow. The one in the cave faded away also.

Has anyone else noticed that when they go it is fast. They seem healthy then start shrinking and within a week gone. makes me wonder about their natural lifespan.

Unread 01/19/2011, 02:28 PM   #35
coltrref
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor escobar View Post
Excuse me for interrupting a little bite your discussion but I wanted to tell you that I've got a dendronephthya umbellata that only opens during the day. Is that normal? Which are the consequences?
Hola Victor, gusto en saludarte en este foro y en el tema,

el topic se abrió exclusivamente para poner las características de como mantenemos a las dendros, sin embargo es ya común verlas abiertas durante el día y mas si están comiendo, pero lo inusual es que tú Dendro no permanezca abierta por las noches, ellas al no necesitar mucha luz, debería de abrir también por las noches.

te recomiendo abrir un tema en esta área para que te den sus puntos de vistas los demás Usuarios

Unread 01/19/2011, 06:00 PM   #36
stormrider27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltrref View Post
Hola Victor, gusto en saludarte en este foro y en el tema,

el topic se abrió exclusivamente para poner las características de como mantenemos a las dendros, sin embargo es ya común verlas abiertas durante el día y mas si están comiendo, pero lo inusual es que tú Dendro no permanezca abierta por las noches, ellas al no necesitar mucha luz, debería de abrir también por las noches.

te recomiendo abrir un tema en esta área para que te den sus puntos de vistas los demás Usuarios
Google translator:

"Hello Victor, liked to greet you here and on the subject,

topic opened exclusively to implement the features of as we keep the dendros, however is already common to see them open during the day and more if they are eating, but the unusual you Dendro stay not open at night, they do not need much light should also open at night.

I recommend you open an item in this area to give you their points of view other users"

stormrider27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2011, 09:05 AM   #37
ashtree68
Registered Member

Not to post without anything to contribute, but any updates on anyone's?

Unread 05/05/2011, 10:18 AM   #38
slapshot
Registered Member

Been meaning to update mine anyway....I lost all mine a week ago. My mistake, I was killing Aiptasia and got kalk solution on them. They are very sensitive to that obviously because they were gone the next day, even though I immediately blew them off. I would add that I'm not sure we are there yet as they were shrinking. I continued to feed them but in my mind they were on their way out.

Unread 05/05/2011, 08:45 PM   #39
uhuru
Registered Member

Recently I got a new dendro that wasn't attached to any rock. I stuck a toothpick through it and glued it to a new rock. Right now it is trying to grow new root like processes to attach to the rock. I'll keep you updated hopefully with pics soon.

The rest of my dendros are still rocking along. I am seeing the most new growth from one in particular, that is located closest to the food outlet. I've had this one for 9 months, it is named "D2" if you go back to my post on page 1. It came with little baby dendros that have increased significantly in size and polyp number (relative to what they started with). The "secret" may simply be food concentration in the water.

Also here is a more recent pic of "D4"

The dendros are quite predictable in their pattern of inflating deflating. In fact they have been trained to inflate during the times that the automatic doser is running, just like with my sun corals. Seeing a predictable pattern may be an indicator of whether your dendro has acclimated well to your system or not. No matter what they always seem to inflate the most at night when all the lights are off.

uhuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2011, 12:28 PM   #40
MarineSniper
Registered Member

Is this thread still alive? I've just moved to raising some NPS corals: sun corals and epizoanthids and would love to get some feedback and advice!

MarineSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2015, 11:41 PM   #41
calk me Q
Registered Member

yes , bump up for more news. UHURU

calk me Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2015, 03:07 AM   #42
Kaesh
Registered Member

I am still searching for the best feeding System for dendros.
I am definetly sure that the succes is not in coral food, i tryied all feeding system, battling with overfeed etc. but never succes. every coral food is useless.
I think the key is in a plankton filled aquarium, and the aquarium can produce the plankton the only need is to feed the planktons with some phyto food.
so...i am on the thing and i didnt give up, but... the generall methods not working....

Kaesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2015, 04:07 AM   #43
slapshot
Registered Member

I don't know about plankton in general. At its base plankton and coral food are not that different. Maybe a certain plankton? Back in the day some of us were having success with over or heavy feeding of various phytoplankton and coral mucus. My personal success was keeping a baby Dendronepthya (that dropped off of a dendronephya I had for months) alive for 14 months. See above. Sadly I was killing aptasia (a biproduct of heavy feeding) with a Kalk solution and some of it got on it. It quickly died. There was also a gentleman in Ohio who had amazing success, can't remember if he was part of this thread but I'm sure it's mentioned way way back. He basically kept a green water aquarium. The death of all of us old timer's attempts long term was pollution and the inability to sustain the enormous amount of time it took. Best of luck, I am still confident someone will break through just as we did with SPS.

Unread 11/13/2015, 08:53 PM   #44
calk me Q
Registered Member

Only after i jumped into the NPS did i realize that i have to start reading journals for new method or something hits me in this realm.

Im quite fed up with sps,lps or any other trivals,expierence on keeping these.

Unread 03/04/2016, 02:58 PM   #45
Spartan
Registered Member

In case anyone's still trying:

Five species of microalgae were successfully isolated and identified from the digestive tract of
Dendronephtya sp., namely Amphora sp., Nannochloris sp., Meyerella planktonica, Nitzschia inconspicua,
and Navicula salinicola. Two species that were morphogically identified as Chlorella sp. and Navicula sp.1
were later corrected respectively as Meyerella planktonica, and Nitzschia inconspicua using the molecular
method.

Isolation, Identification and Growth Optimization of Microalgae Derived from Soft Coral Dendronephthya sp. ☆
Rory Anthony Hutagalunga, , ,
Anton Ega Sukocoa,
Dedi Soedharmab,
Lily Maria Goretic,
Ivan Andreana, b, c,
Bamma Elshaddaia,
Noryawati Mulyonoa

Current Tank Info: 180g, 100g sump, 55 g refuge
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2016, 02:43 AM   #46
calk me Q
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
In case anyone's still trying:

Five species of microalgae were successfully isolated and identified from the digestive tract of
Dendronephtya sp., namely Amphora sp., Nannochloris sp., Meyerella planktonica, Nitzschia inconspicua,
and Navicula salinicola. Two species that were morphogically identified as Chlorella sp. and Navicula sp.1
were later corrected respectively as Meyerella planktonica, and Nitzschia inconspicua using the molecular
method.

Isolation, Identification and Growth Optimization of Microalgae Derived from Soft Coral Dendronephthya sp. ☆
Rory Anthony Hutagalunga, , ,
Anton Ega Sukocoa,
Dedi Soedharmab,
Lily Maria Goretic,
Ivan Andreana, b, c,
Bamma Elshaddaia,
Noryawati Mulyonoa
good info

Unread 07/27/2016, 04:49 PM   #47
C-Dragon
Registered Member

I am joining this discussion because I now have a Dendro since May 19th, 2016. It inflates and deflates a few times daily. It's in our office, so I don't know what it is doing at night. I am feeding it SDaquarist and Oyster-Feast. SDaquarist contains the following: Pavlova, Isochrysis, Thalassiosira weissflogii, Thalassiosira pseudonana, Tetraselmis and Chaetocerous calcitrans. Notice that 3 of the species of phytoplankton are diatoms. I have spoken with a number of people about this and it appears phytoplankton is critical to their survival and diatoms are even more critical in the diet. I will post a picture soon. I am documenting its growth and longevity with pictures. I am feeding 2mls of SDaquarist and 2mls of Oyster-Feast daily to my 30 gallon tank, which is dominated by soft corals and NPS bivalves. I also have 2 clowns, 1 royal gramma, 1 mandarin dragonet, and 1 lawnmower blenny.

Last edited by C-Dragon; 07/27/2016 at 05:05 PM.
C-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2016, 05:01 PM   #48
C-Dragon
Registered Member

Dendro image

DendroJuly27,2016officetankresize.jpg

C-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 03:45 AM   #49
Whiterabbitrage
Registered Member

Bump.
C Dragon, is your Dendro still alive?

Current Tank Info: 150 gall, 30 gall sump; 30 gall refugium
Whiterabbitrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 05:53 AM   #50
Museet
Registered Member

Any updates?

I've started a an experiment at work(small public aquarium), in a frag tank connected to a large reef tank. So far I've only been able to get Scleronephtya sp, but hopefully I'll find a couple of Dendronephtya colonies as well. The five colonies of Scleronephtya arrived 4 days ago so I don't have that much results yet.
The feeding regime is:
EasyBooster (4 types of phytoplankton, concentrated)
Live nannochloropsis / Isochryssis
Live Synechococcus sp

So as a start I want to test phytoplankton and smaller food.
The dosing is with dosing pumps to try to have constant concentration of food in the water over the day.

I'll try to make an update soon.

Best regards
David

Museet is offline   Reply With Quote