Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/04/2014, 09:50 AM   #8026
Buckeye Hydro
.Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamogordo View Post
I make my own RODI with a Chloramine filtration system I purchased from Buckeye Hydro.
Jason - are you from Alamogordo? Used to live there many moons ago.

Buckeye Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2014, 04:55 AM   #8027
johnike
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoprime View Post
I do use brs 5 stage rodi unit but just started a month ago was using questionable rodi from friends but always had high phos. So used money i was saving for a good skimmer on rodi unit. johnike ,i will Defiantly give you a call, i am sorry i didnt get back to you earlier, What time of day is good for you? By the way where do you get your livestock around here?
I'm home weekdays after 4, and here all the time weekends.
Eddies and Tanks are about the only close shops.
I go down to Fishin Times in Pekin and Aquarium Obsessions in Bartonville when I feel like a road trip. Looking forward to meeting you.

johnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2014, 04:51 PM   #8028
BioCubeGuy
Registered Member

Hi all,

Fairly new to the salt water world. Got myself a Biocube 29 a while back. Hope to learn and gain experience from you guys. I'll post pic's of my tank soon.

BioCubeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2014, 09:14 PM   #8029
Skysmom01
Registered Member

New reefer

My son brought home a 90 gallon acrylic tank and we set it up with fish, corals and live rock. We are newbies and learning how to do all of it. Our son is going to reef meetings while in college and has done tons of reading and research on what to do. Our tank is really nice and we enjoy it immensely and are looking forward to adding a few more and watching it grow.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.9 KB, 17 views)
Skysmom01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2014, 09:15 PM   #8030
Skysmom01
Registered Member

Sorry about the weird lights one of our blue LEDs is out and we are waiting for a new power supply

Skysmom01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2014, 02:57 AM   #8031
Dannysanemone
Registered Member

Hello Reef Members , Can someone help me identify my enemone i am new to this hobby and i dont know exactly anything about my anemone because Petco vendor said i think its a Condylactis , so not sure if it really is or not wat they think , Any help someone ?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0096[1].jpg (75.9 KB, 17 views)
Dannysanemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2014, 01:32 PM   #8032
Gstew89
Registered Member

new to the hobby

Hi I am fairly new to the hobby ive kept marine fish for two years but am trying to get into reef keeping, I currently am running a 20 gal tank with live sand live rock hydor korilla wave makers and a aquatop PSE1 protein skimmer/hob filter.
I want to keep corals but ive been using t8 lighting(I strongly hate this lighting) and am looking for suggestions on how to improve my setup and get up and running with coral.

Gstew89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2014, 03:34 PM   #8033
neilhigbee
Registered Member

Hi every one, neil here
New on this forum and thought I would say hello,
Currently in Workington, Cumbria, UK

Unread 09/06/2014, 07:23 PM   #8034
DannyTC
Registered Member

New to Marine Aquariums

Hello! I have a few years experience with planted FW tank and figured I'd give a marine aquarium a go.

Currently Setup
50G tank (just started cycling)
30lbs of cleaned dry rock
20 lbs of fully cured live rock from my LFS
40 lbs of sand + 5 lbs of crushed coral
2 100W heaters, 6 T5 HO lamps, ATO, and power heads hooked up to a reefkeeper and I'm hoping to add a skimmer and stock with cleanup inverts after the cycle is done

Eventually I would like a clownfish pair, 1-2 compatable fish and if I don't mess anything up too badly, corals by spring. I may add a sump if I find some extra time but my apartment and stand are pretty small so I plan to just buy a lot of test kits.

DannyTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2014, 07:29 AM   #8035
herediafam09
Registered Member

Beginners

Good morning, we're pretty new to the hobby, we've had an 8 gal tank for almost a year now and its been pretty successful we had two clownfish but we lost one last week due to ich i think its called and we are treating the other one who's also sick. We've started a 120 gallon tank, its in its 2nd week can't wait to start adding fish and corals.

herediafam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2014, 12:46 PM   #8036
Un5tab1e
Registered Member

I'm Greg from Eastern Kentucky. Just started my first SW tank. 29g, 20lb lives and and 40lb live rock, evergrow 165watt full spectrum lights and 2 wp10 jeboa powerheads. It's already cycled and I have a few red leg hermits, snails. 1 yellowtail damsel and 1 firefish.

Un5tab1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2014, 09:39 PM   #8037
thumper_65590
Registered Member

Hi all

Hello all. I will be asking many questions from everyone on here as I am new to the marine aquarium hobby. I have had as many as 6 freshwater tanks running at once, ranging from 5 gallon fry tank to a 125 gallon show tank. I currently have a 55 gallon bowfront that I have set up with a CPR Bak Pak2 and a SEIO 530 powerhead.

thumper_65590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2014, 03:12 AM   #8038
ctaylor3737
Registered Member

Hello From Syracuse

Hello! Just joined the forum and would like to say hello! Lots of great information here.

ctaylor3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2014, 12:14 PM   #8039
dgt1128
Registered Member

hey all, i have been a member on here for about a year now just lurking around learning. i have had a couple tanks so far. started off with a nano 20 and then moved up to a 40 breeder and now i am happy with my 90 corner flo. i plan on learning some more and what not!

dgt1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2014, 02:50 PM   #8040
reefgills
Registered Member

Hi, my name is Noah i am new to the hobby (no tank/setup yet) still in the researching stage but will potentially be able to start relatively soon considering i started lurking around here in '07 off and on. I still have not decided what size of tank to start with as i will be moving towards the end of 2015 from Norfolk to Ga (navy) and thought i would introduce myself.

reefgills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2014, 07:12 AM   #8041
showmebutterfly
Registered Member

Hello everyone. I'm Rebecca and I am in the process of doing research and getting everything together before setting up my first saltwater tank.

showmebutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2014, 10:08 AM   #8042
mathewjf
Registered Member

I'm new my name is mat French I have a 29gal bio cube that's 3 months old

Last edited by dc; 09/11/2014 at 09:34 AM.
mathewjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2014, 05:10 PM   #8043
Miz40B
Registered Member

Hello Reefers! Jamie here coming from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. That makes me a Yooper donchya know eh!
Been keeping a reef tank for 5yrs. Most recently upgraded to a 40B/20L sump. Drilled/plumbed by me
I'm a mom to a 23yr old young man & a grand mother to 1 beautiful grand daughter. Happy reefing ya'll

Miz40B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2014, 02:34 PM   #8044
Dougan2469
Registered Member

Hello all... I have been in the hobby for quite a few years but have neglected to join the community because I am shy... "If you know me that's a joke"

Any hew... I recently purchases a custom made 150 gallon "deep" tank and am in the process of setting it up with a DIY led system from Rapid LED.

Thank you all for having me and I am looking forward to posting the ups and downs of my new tank.

Dougan2469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2014, 11:59 PM   #8045
DaddyBriefs
Registered Member

Hello Everyone,
My name is Ricky and I am new to the hobby. I have had tanks in the past and have really enjoyed them and I always admire the saltwater tanks whenever I see them. I currently live in a small home so a larger tank was something I have not been able to do but I am moving to a much larger home and a reef tank is on my list of things I want for the new house. I live in a rural area just outside of Phoenix and I honestly don't know where to get a reef ready tank. Is anyone able to direct to me someplace either in phoenix or online where I can get a reef ready tank. I am thinking 55g-90g's. I am thinking that will be give me the most bang for my budget. I will probably build it slowly until its all together. Until then, I hope to spend some time on here and learn as much as I can.
Thanks!

DaddyBriefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2014, 10:12 AM   #8046
SeanS2
Registered Member

Hi everyone,
My name is Sean, and I have years of FW planted tank experience, but I just started my first reef tank a couple months ago. As you can see from my join date, I have been considering it for a while

SeanS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2014, 04:34 PM   #8047
Sdfuzzy
Registered Member

Hello fellow salty fans, My name is Chris and have been keeping fresh water fish for about 4 years now and always wanted to take the salt water plunge. I have a 55 gallon freshwater and have a 220 gallon reef tank build in process. It is very exciting to be getting close to get the new "Big" tank wet. I have the plumbing left to tackle and the aquascaping etc. I have looked at this forum many time and have already gotten a lot of ideas etc from all the knowledge here. Look forward to chatting with you all about this exciting hobby.

Sdfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2014, 07:16 PM   #8048
flytoelpaso
Registered Member

Starting from Scratch

I have inherited a 60 gallon tank with live rock, 4 fish, 2 shrimp, 2 snails, no gear and a lot of algae. I know nothing about saltwater. This is a rescue project; some of the fish are 8 years old. I move the tank, the fish, the rocks and the saltwater.

I added 3 hermit crabs for the algae. Should I add more? I bought an overflow box from Eshopps. I'm using a bucket for a sump and a Petco pump. I've ordered an Eheim 2215 filter.

Should I get a sump or a wet dry filter? Do I need a protein skimmer for a 60 gallon tank? What else do I need to do? I want these fish to be healthy and add a few more in time. Any advice will be helpful.

flytoelpaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2014, 11:02 AM   #8049
ReefSentinel
Registered Member

Hello everyone. My name is Josh and I've only been doing this for about 3 1/2 months.

I currently own a 46g bow front fowlr tabnk. I have 2 platinum clowns, 3 assorted damsels, to emeral crabs, white cake urchin, cleaner shrimp and various cleaner crew snails.

I got the tank from my sister for about $200 with all the fish in if, no inverts. She had it running for probably 6 months. When we transferred everything she used the same water and substrate with live rock. Everything is doing fine however my hair algae problem persists regardless of 20% water changes, negotiating my lighting times, ensuring the fish eat all the food they're given, and checking parameters. It still persists. Hopefully here soon I'll be able to write up exactly what's going on and what I'm doing to stop the growth. Right now I'm late for work.

Thanks for having me.

Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light 36"

Current Tank Info: 46 gallon bow front aquarium. 2 platinum clowns, 1 azure damsel, 1 striped damsel, 1 blue damsel. The tank is 4 months old.
ReefSentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2014, 02:10 PM   #8050
Spenca6
Registered Member

Howdy folks! Your online community and infinite knowledge got me to sign up. Recently ( approx eight months ago ) I came into possession of an old current 12gal nano reef setup. I upgraded to a current led marine fixture and a saucier skimmer and thanks to everyone here it's going beautifully. See photos I think I'm going to attach. I may or may not have a few questions coming I'm the next few days including; if anyone uses live rock only as a bio filter in their tank and what really is the best way and how often should I be checking my water. Cheers mates and thanks for having me!!!

Spenca6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral