Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/20/2020, 08:14 AM   #1
Ivydoodles
Registered Member

Bristle worms

My son tells me I have bristle worms. I saw some day one of setting up the tank but have not since. My son saw them in the middle of the night. I bought an arrow crab from the LFS. He says if I feed the crab fish food with the other fish he wont eat the worms? True?
I am having a hard time making sure the crab isn't getting any fish food. He is determined. Poor thing.

Ivydoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2020, 08:24 AM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

The worms are beneficial to your tank. The crab, not so much.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2020, 02:01 PM   #3
Anemone
Cloning Around

If you feed your fish, the crab will get some. The crab will still hunt and do crab things when not eating fish food.

And, as Sk8r said, bristle worms are not a problem, just part of the natural clean-up crew.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2020, 03:11 PM   #4
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

I'd be more concerned about the crab. They get big and aggressive, can and will catch sleeping fish and eat them.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2020, 07:46 PM   #5
Ivydoodles
Registered Member

My son says they are the fire ones which are bad? He is new to the hobby so we are learning.

Unread 05/20/2020, 10:23 PM   #6
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivydoodles View Post
My son says they are the fire ones which are bad? He is new to the hobby so we are learning.
Yes, fireworms are bad (eat corals) and eunicid worms (commonly referred to as bobbit worms) are bad (eat snails, corals, clams, and once they get big enough, can eat fish). Good thing is, both fireworms and eunicid worms are fairly easy to identify, as are your standard variety bristle worms. Search for some pictures and descriptions, and you'll be able to tell the difference. I doubt you have fireworms.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2020, 07:39 AM   #7
Ivydoodles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Yes, fireworms are bad (eat corals) and eunicid worms (commonly referred to as bobbit worms) are bad (eat snails, corals, clams, and once they get big enough, can eat fish). Good thing is, both fireworms and eunicid worms are fairly easy to identify, as are your standard variety bristle worms. Search for some pictures and descriptions, and you'll be able to tell the difference. I doubt you have fireworms.

Kevin
The ones I saw were very very tiny and looked orange. I saw them in rock and the sand on the first day and haven't seen them since. I hope they are harmless. I don't like this arrow crab he is creepy.

Unread 05/21/2020, 01:08 PM   #8
Sk8r
RC Mod

Bristleworms. Look up hermodice carunculata on google. That's a fireworm. They're gorgeous. Bad news. But exremely rare. What you describe is just good old bristleworms. Tell your son they're a very good clean-up crew and cost a dollar apiece to buy online.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote