Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/04/2020, 08:20 PM   #1
RobbyG
Registered Member

Check your Radion G5 XR30 for cracks.

It has been reported that several owners of G5s have heard popping sounds coming from the lights. It has now been revealed that this is due to stress cracks developing around the screws in the case. Examine your G5s and see if they have cracks in the plastic radiating from the case screws.

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB
RobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2020, 01:13 AM   #2
gprdypoo04
Registered Member

No popping sounds on mine but do have a slight crack from around one of the screws.

gprdypoo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2020, 05:35 AM   #3
wcharon
Registered Member

For those that already have the G5 i need some advise.

I have the ATI Sunpower 6 bulbs with 2 Reefbrites XHO on my 6' mixed reef. To be honest i love the way my colors look and with the growth i have but the electricity expense is very high over here in PR.

Do you think the change to the G5 will be a huge improvement? i will have to get 3 of them so trying to justify the change with the upfront cost.

Thanks in advance...

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. Reef, Chiller 1/4, Skimmer SRO SSS-1000 (Old), Aquamaxx EM-200, Aqua C UV, Actinic ReefBrites, Kore 5th. Doser, APEX Full
wcharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2020, 06:03 AM   #4
gprdypoo04
Registered Member

Buying 3 G5's will cost you more than your set up now.
The XR30 has great coverage and easily does my 35 inch length tank. I don't know the dimensions of your 180 and I guess it depends what your animals are.
I just have one XR30 and i don't regret it even with a little damage.

Unread 04/05/2020, 06:11 AM   #5
wcharon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprdypoo04 View Post
Buying 3 G5's will cost you more than your set up now.
The XR30 has great coverage and easily does my 35 inch length tank. I don't know the dimensions of your 180 and I guess it depends what your animals are.
I just have one XR30 and i don't regret it even with a little damage.
Thanks for the feedback @gprdypooo04. My tank is a 125 standard gallon (72 x 18 x 24). It is packed with SPS and LPS.

How i said and for sure it will cost a lot upfront vs what i have now and that's the factor a i will like to know from people that have the G5 as i am paying at this moment $250.00 monthly on electricity bill.

It is not the lights fault completely but i know 6 x 80 watts bulbs running 8hrs per day consumes a lot and i don't want to lower more the lighting schedule which use to be 10hrs.

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. Reef, Chiller 1/4, Skimmer SRO SSS-1000 (Old), Aquamaxx EM-200, Aqua C UV, Actinic ReefBrites, Kore 5th. Doser, APEX Full
Unread 04/05/2020, 07:34 AM   #6
gprdypoo04
Registered Member

Well I'm not sure if running 3 G5's would run you a less power bill. I do know they would be better for your SPS.

Unread 04/05/2020, 07:37 AM   #7
wcharon
Registered Member

Quote:
Well I'm not sure if running 3 G5's would run you a less power bill. I do know they would be better for your SPS.
Thanks... For sure it's a tough decision.

Unread 04/05/2020, 09:32 AM   #8
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcharon View Post
For those that already have the G5 i need some advise.

I have the ATI Sunpower 6 bulbs with 2 Reefbrites XHO on my 6' mixed reef. To be honest i love the way my colors look and with the growth i have but the electricity expense is very high over here in PR.

Do you think the change to the G5 will be a huge improvement? i will have to get 3 of them so trying to justify the change with the upfront cost.

Thanks in advance...
I have almost the same T5's and reef brites on my 6' tank and really missed using Radions so when the gen5's came out I jumped on them.
However after spending $2500+ and having them come damaged and seeing this seems to be a wide spread issue, I'd hold off and see how it's resolved.
As for me I was informed they would send new cases and I had to repair the lights myself.

Unread 04/05/2020, 11:15 AM   #9
wcharon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinn View Post
I have almost the same T5's and reef brites on my 6' tank and really missed using Radions so when the gen5's came out I jumped on them.
However after spending $2500+ and having them come damaged and seeing this seems to be a wide spread issue, I'd hold off and see how it's resolved.
As for me I was informed they would send new cases and I had to repair the lights myself.
@mfinn. Thanks for the feedback. What are you saying? I can believe that for that type of amount of money.

So you can say while you were using it that it is a night and day difference?

Did you see increase or decrease in electricity consumption as i assume you went with the Pro right?

Unread 04/05/2020, 11:37 AM   #10
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:
@mfinn. Thanks for the feedback. What are you saying? I can believe that for that type of amount of money.

So you can say while you were using it that it is a night and day difference?

Did you see increase or decrease in electricity consumption as i assume you went with the Pro right?
@wcharon, I have not installed my new gen 5's yet.
I just got them Thursday evening.
I found the cracked cases Friday morning.
I took pictures and repacked them back up.
I was under the impression that they would be replaced when talking with Mike at ETM. We even talked about the replacement lights being inspected before being shipped.
It wasn't until Friday afternoon that I read the new email from ETM that they were going to send new cases and that they expected me to make the repairs.
I'm seeing more than just the people here having the same issue, among a couple others.

Unread 04/05/2020, 11:49 AM   #11
wcharon
Registered Member

@nfinn. Thanks for the clarification. It is a difficult decision but If i was you i would send them back with a refund because if you have to repair it and you don't want them to say in the future as you are going to be in file and if something else happen they blame you and say it's your fault as you installed something incorrect.

Just beware.... My .02 cents.

Unread 04/05/2020, 12:41 PM   #12
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:
@nfinn. Thanks for the clarification. It is a difficult decision but If i was you i would send them back with a refund because if you have to repair it and you don't want them to say in the future as you are going to be in file and if something else happen they blame you and say it's your fault as you installed something incorrect.

Just beware.... My .02 cents.

As far as sending them back, I got them from a small vendor that is barely keeping his head above water during the current health crisis.
This is a manufacturing flaw that should be handled directly by ETM.
So I contacted them first.
I called and while talking with the rep, I was under the impression that replacements would be sent out, much in the way the Vectra L1 drama played out.
New ones were sent out immediately and the old ones sent back.
It wasn't until late in the day Friday did I realize someone had changed the response.

Unread 04/05/2020, 01:39 PM   #13
RobbyG
Registered Member

They most likely do not have the staff available to do full blown repair jobs but they can ship out the part and you do it yourself. Either that or wait on Covid to subside and then they will fix it for you.

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB
RobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2020, 07:36 PM   #14
ClownReef®
Bubbletrousing

I blame Carole Baskin.

Unread 04/06/2020, 03:07 PM   #15
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

anybody have pics of these cracks?

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2020, 03:11 PM   #16
mfinn
Registered Member

Unread 04/06/2020, 04:02 PM   #17
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Thanks @mfinn.

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2020, 04:08 PM   #18
mfinn
Registered Member

In reading in 2 different places, one of them the Ecotech Facebook group ( not USA group)

Hello All-
Plain and simple: my sincere apology to any of you guys affected by cracks around the four mounting screws. If you have this problem, give us a call or send us an email and we'll resolve it by sending a replacement cover. We aren't doing a service exchange for this problem because the disruption to you as a hobbyist having to send in your light for replacement isn't worth your time and hassle. The cracks that may exist on your lower cover are unacceptable and we acknowledge this, but the light is fully functional in the meantime and nothing will be damaged by continuing to use the product until your replacement cover arrives.
Some background, the countersunk holes are over-stressed when assembled due to a molding issue affecting the overall size of the lower cover. We have remedied this by installing captive washers behind the countersink to eliminate deflection on the cover during assembly and reduce the stress that the housing experiences. This resolution has been in production for several weeks. The replacement covers come with four screws with the captive washers pre-installed.
One thing I can assure you of, we won't ever leave you hanging. Don't worry.

Unread 04/07/2020, 10:46 AM   #19
LQT
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:
Wow really!?! His 6x80w ATI and 2 Reefbrites would perform poorer than just standalone Radion fixtures for his SPS? C’mon man, I know you’re excited about your new fixture and all, but put the Kool Aide down!

Apologies for the minor thread derailment, but I just couldn’t let that one go.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2020, 10:58 AM   #20
gprdypoo04
Registered Member

At least I have Kool Aide what are u drinking????

Unread 04/07/2020, 11:15 AM   #21
LQT
Registered Member

Ummm, errr... an ATI... and a Reefbrite.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2020, 11:50 AM   #22
gprdypoo04
Registered Member

Wow.... still coming back for more