Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/23/2003, 05:26 PM   #51
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

I think the biggest threat posed by zoos is that they can overtake your rocks, and corals.
Xenia stinks, no doubt, but I have never heard of it being harmful to anything other than your nose!

Dunder Mifflin

Current Tank Info: Unknown slow drip, over 20 years damaged my house and heating system. No more tank.
DgenR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2003, 07:45 PM   #52
SLKs reef
Registered Member

Would the gloves be reuseable or have to dispose after use each time?

Unread 09/23/2003, 08:18 PM   #53
musicsmaker
Premium Member

Try to find the cheap disposable latex kind that don't have the powder on the inside. The local veterinarian should be able to hook you up.

Unread 09/24/2003, 03:48 AM   #54
Los
Registered Member

Musicmaker -

The podwatching is... priceless. Great quote.

LOS

.\ ~ / The Big Mo' - in honor of Trey and Matt

Current Tank Info: 360 reef / 700 system with 4xSfiligoi XR6s, Sfiligoi XR4, BubbleKing 300 Deluxe Internal, Deltec PF601s, PM Kalk, Deltec FR616, Deltec FR509, AquaController APEX, Tunze 6305, 2x6205, 2x6101, 6100, 3xDart Golds, Barracuda, Snapper, 2xOceans Motions
Los is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2003, 06:54 AM   #55
musicsmaker
Premium Member

Thanks!

Unread 09/29/2003, 01:18 PM   #56
RLiu818
Registered Member

i can't believe the toxin awareness of the zoos has only been exposed recently and no deaths have been reported considering how long reef keeping has existed.

if it weren't for this forums i would still be handling my zoos with my bare hands.

and come to think of it, i would assume that most reef keepers do not use internet forums such as these, so many are unaware of the toxins.

i go to a lfs and i frequently see a customer go in and say to the fishstore clerk, "hey those are pretty neat.. what requirements do they need?" fishstore clerk, "oh they are one of the most hardiest corals.. they will do well just about anywhere in the tank and they also wont kill other corals" customer- "cool ill take it!"

i simply just have to ask.. why hasnt anyone died yet?

RLiu818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2003, 04:29 PM   #57
Los
Registered Member

Ummmm..... my best guess is that no one had died, because they really aren't that dangerous. But, I think that's what you were getting at.

LOS

Current Tank Info: 360 reef / 700 system with 4xSfiligoi XR6s, Sfiligoi XR4, BubbleKing 300 Deluxe Internal, Deltec PF601s, PM Kalk, Deltec FR616, Deltec FR509, AquaController APEX, Tunze 6305, 2x6205, 2x6101, 6100, 3xDart Golds, Barracuda, Snapper, 2xOceans Motions
Unread 09/29/2003, 05:48 PM   #58
RLiu818
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Los
Ummmm..... my best guess is that no one had died, because they really aren't that dangerous. But, I think that's what you were getting at.

LOS
yea exactly.. i think people tend to exaggerate about how dangerous zoos really are. although, tests have revealed taht the palytoxin is in fact the most powerful toxin in the world, zoos actually do not seem that dangerous.

zoos are not spiders that can bite you, or a cobra that can spray poison into your eyes and blind you and then follow with a lethal biting attack.

i 'think' that zoos are only secrete their toxins when wounded. so much care should taken during fragging. maybe some tests can prove me wrong. if tests can show that by touching a polyp with my bare hands, toxins will transfer from the coral to my skin, and still leaving a lethal dose, then i would be convinced that zoos are truly the most dangerous species and i really hope these corals are no longer sold without a written warning on each sale.

in the case of that guy's dog dying, chances are his dog probably consumed an entire frag of zoos. i would be guessing anywhere from 6-50+ polyps. and it took the dog ~12 hours to die if i recall correctly. Not exactly sure on the facts, if someone wants to correct me please do.

RLiu818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2003, 03:10 PM   #59
ez1ez
Registered Member

The Pacific Island native would crush the zoos in a bowl and dip their spears in the jelly. Just a scratch from their spear would kill their opponent. I still handle them without gloves except when fraggin them. How much of that mucus does it take to kill a human? who knows, Also what would happen if someone was poisoned buy a zoo and dies. He frags zoo and 20min later he collapses... He goes to the emergency room and they say his heart stopped, he had a bad heart, or natural causes. they won't check for palytoxins. How many spouses would be able to step up and say Doc check for palytoxins in his system we have a reef tank. well thats my .02

Current Tank Info: Reeftanks, Halides,7' 150g, 6' 150g tanks
ez1ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2003, 03:14 PM   #60
na1paj
Registered Member

lol hahahahaha funny one ez!!!

Unread 10/14/2003, 06:46 PM   #61
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

HMMMM, How many spouses would want to uase that on one of us? Or how many of us might want to use it on a spouse??

Dunder Mifflin

Current Tank Info: Unknown slow drip, over 20 years damaged my house and heating system. No more tank.
DgenR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2003, 02:08 AM   #62
glipper69
Registered Member

I think we are all getting a little to paranoid. I just bought my first colony of zoo's about 2 weeks ago I handled them about 10 times trying to find the location they and I most desired I don't think I washed my hands once afterward. what I usually do is just dry off with a towel then later when I have the time I wash my hands. I am still here with no ill affects.

Please someone put it in there Will that if they die they should be tested for paliotoxins and that the results should be posted on REEF CENTRAL.

hmmm, I'm getting a little hungry I think i'm gonna have a little zoo sandwich. hum hum.

Good Luck
Frank

Current Tank Info: 135 gal, mixed reef, LPS/SPS loaded also 12 fish- 4-tangs pair of Goldstripe Maroon Clowns, Flame Angel, + others, 200lbs LR Ecosystem Filtration, Rowaphos reactor,3x250 MH, 2x160 Actinic VHO, JDM tech-Skimmer, GEO 618 Calc Reactor
glipper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2003, 08:52 PM   #63
Los
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ez1ez
The Pacific Island native would crush the zoos in a bowl and dip their spears in the jelly. Just a scratch from their spear would kill their opponent. I still handle them without gloves except when fraggin them. How much of that mucus does it take to kill a human? who knows, Also what would happen if someone was poisoned buy a zoo and dies. He frags zoo and 20min later he collapses... He goes to the emergency room and they say his heart stopped, he had a bad heart, or natural causes. they won't check for palytoxins. How many spouses would be able to step up and say Doc check for palytoxins in his system we have a reef tank. well thats my .02
The same is true of certain types of frogs (poison dart frogs), but that doesn't mean that handling frogs in general is dangerous at all.

I suspect both sides are right. There is probably a certain type of zoo that isn't found in the hobby, but that is deadly. Fortunately, we don't seem to have any evidence of any human being killed by zoos sold for reefs. With them being so popular, I think we would have heard something about it.

Cheers,

LOS - who promisses NOT to eat his zoos.

Unread 11/10/2003, 07:24 PM   #64
BlackOcellarisUT
Registered Member

OK well heres my horror story,
I was reaching in to move a newly bought coral (encrusting goniopora) from the front of the tank to somwhere else. I had placed it there a few day earlier realizing when I got home that I had no coral putty left. Once I placed it in the correct position and it was done I accidently rubbed the inner of my arm against the side/ bottom of the rock and possibly some zoos. When my arm was out of the water I felt an intense stinging on my inner arm, and within minutes it was streaking and red. I walked upstairs to tell my parents to keep an eye on me because I felt really lightheaded. I felt very slow, and everything was just a little weird when I looked around. It was like this for a few hours until I felt ok again. My arm was red and streaky fro a few days but I was very scared. I think it was either the zoos, or maybe a little hitchiker millipora on the new coral because it was carribean. I really do not know but whatever it was it scared me. I know that millipora sting is a neurotoxin, but is this the same with polytoxin? Yeah it scared me, now I am much more careful. Good coments guys Thanks -tj-

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 30 gallon cube, 10 gallon sump, aqua C urchin skimmer, 400 watt metal halide 12k (sunburst), around 900 gph complete water turnover.
BlackOcellarisUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2003, 10:32 AM   #65
becon776
Registered Member

wow... intersting thread! I was once stung by something (don't know for sure) while moving live rock. a little pinprick caused my left hand to swell incredibly. I couldn't move my hand for a week. A bit nervous and told my wife to keep an eye out. Gave me an entire new respect for my underwater friends.

becon776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2003, 10:53 PM   #66
Chris Mu.
Moved On

death by zoos

Wierd stuff ..i've been working with corals for ten years now, on the retail level, and i cant say that i have ever had any type of reaction to a zoo.. i have like 8 rocks of zoos in my own aquarium too and over the past ten years have stuck scrapped up hands in zoo tanks and never had a problem.. cant say that i have tried eating them... i guess thats what somebody really needs to try heh heh (dont do this unless under close supervison of a professional doctor ..) heh heh disclaimer so you cant sue me .. wait you'd be dead anyways lol .. so all i see so far is dont eat your corals? is this even a new thought? Torches, plates, hydnopora .. now those will leave you burning ..zoos? never happened to me and i handle em almost every day..idk i'll believe it when i hit the floor i guess .. heh heh Interesting post topic though...anybody have any metalic colors they want to get rid?
i need reds and blues and would consider some bright oranges !

Thanks!

Chris Mu. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2003, 10:55 PM   #67
Chris Mu.
Moved On

oh and one more thing

I think somebody should make a movie about corals comming out of the ocean to take over the world... i mean imagine a long tentical plate the size of a vw beetle traveling down the street.. heh heh and toxic zoos that kill people in seconds .. just think of the possibilities!

Chris Mu. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2003, 12:51 AM   #68
zooqi
Dr. Zooqi

Quote:
Originally posted by ez1ez
thats my .02
I agree and I handle them all the time even when fraging them. I handled over 100 big colonies yesterday and brok some of them and some I put pressure on the rock and brok it to tow and I had slimes all over my hands.

Current Tank Info: Taking A Vacation To The Ocean To Learn. Not For Long
zooqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2003, 05:53 PM   #69
Recce
Registered Member

Quote:
P.S.- If you ever wonder what it feels like to have extreme myalgia from toxins in an aquatic friend, you should try a being stung by a Billroute (freshwater relative of the Stonefish, also from Australia). I was stung in the middle knuckle of my middle finger and within ten minutes I was in the worst pain of my life (and I have broken several bones). My left arm had swollen to twice the size of the right one and I seriously thought I was going to die. It made my sting from a pincushion urchin a few weeks earlier feel like a nice back rub. The Billroute that stung me was a baby half the size of my thumb nail.
I can back that up, I have stood on them, less than an inch long, and ended up with a foot the size of a football! Well not quite, but you get they idea

I am with the skeptics on this one, I have often torn chunks off zoo colonies to give to people, and I nearly always have some kind of cut on a finger, and I have a colony of zoos, that I frag by pinching the zoo at the base, and tearing it off the rock, covering my fingers in mucus, which I will admit is difficult to wash off, and I have suffered no ill effects.

Do any of the papers etc, say how much of this palyotoxin is present in any particular specimens?

Recce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2003, 08:24 PM   #70
ez1ez
Registered Member

That's an idea... Maybe a Biologist would like to frag some zoo's and check the levels of palytoxins in them. I would send him 2 of every zoo I have. Then we would know which are the most lethal.

Current Tank Info: Reeftanks, Halides,7' 150g, 6' 150g tanks
ez1ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2004, 07:08 PM   #71
cal3v
Premium Member

Quick question, is palytoxin a protein? If it is I need to check if I can find out if I can get some donated, and I can probably run a protein gel and use southern blotting (if that's possible as well) to find out which of our corals actually has it. Or maybe ELISA test? I dunno yet. Have to do more research but it would make a good independent project for my bio-tech class, have to see if its even feasible to do at my school too though. Anybody who can help in any way in research, etc, please lmk. Thanks!

cal3v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2004, 09:21 PM   #72
musicsmaker
Premium Member

You might want to run that by the guys in the chemistry forum. I went there to ask a few questions and it was either Randy or Bomber that said their college professor synthetically reproduced it.

Unread 01/21/2004, 09:28 PM   #73
cal3v
Premium Member

Cool, maybe I can get a sample and do some testing.

cal3v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2004, 11:49 PM   #74
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

I dunno, I was just fragging some with bare cut up hands in my tank two days ago, and i am not dead, or swollen. How does anyone know which spcies it is that can, or do have this palytoxins?
My condolences on your dog.

Current Tank Info: 300 gal marineland deep
Creetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2004, 03:21 PM   #75
Recce
Registered Member

I dont know how seriously to take the danger threat from zoos, but I know that I wash my hands much more thoroughly now after handling them. Yesterday, when I moved a colony of palyothoa (spelling?), I noticed a very thick slime on my hands, that took a bit of scrubbing to get off. I might just have previously wiped my hands off on a towel, and worried about washing them later, but I thought about the dog story, and definitely didnt want to poison m dogs.

Recce is offline   Reply With Quote