Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/30/2020, 12:11 PM   #1
chema
Registered Member

Mini BK 180 with DC pump

Hi all:

I have been checking the RE web page and there is no mini BK 180 with a DC pump. Until recently they had this skimmer with a Red Dragon 3 or 6. Anybody know what happened?

Also I saw a new model, the BK 160 supermarine with the new RD X pump. For those who have experience with them, how do the RD 3 and the RD X compare? I have a RD 3 as return pump and its a superb sump. Silent and powerful.

chema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2020, 05:22 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chema View Post
Hi all:

I have been checking the RE web page and there is no mini BK 180 with a DC pump. Until recently they had this skimmer with a Red Dragon 3 or 6. Anybody know what happened?

Also I saw a new model, the BK 160 supermarine with the new RD X pump. For those who have experience with them, how do the RD 3 and the RD X compare? I have a RD 3 as return pump and its a superb sump. Silent and powerful.
The SM160 is brand new. Nobody has experience with it as it was just announced a few days ago and there is no US stock on them. The RDX is a new pump and the Mini 180’s will likely start shipping with them in the near future. We are out of stock on the Mini 180’s right now which is why they aren’t showing on the US website. We hope to have more in the next 60 or so days and it’s very possible the SM160 and Mini 180 DC will be back in stock with that next shipment. Unfortunately the whole COVID thing has the factory running on a skeleton crew and they aren’t doing large shipments right now to the US due to customs slowdown at the ports.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2020, 12:52 PM   #3
chema
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
The SM160 is brand new. Nobody has experience with it as it was just announced a few days ago and there is no US stock on them. The RDX is a new pump and the Mini 180’s will likely start shipping with them in the near future. We are out of stock on the Mini 180’s right now which is why they aren’t showing on the US website. We hope to have more in the next 60 or so days and it’s very possible the SM160 and Mini 180 DC will be back in stock with that next shipment. Unfortunately the whole COVID thing has the factory running on a skeleton crew and they aren’t doing large shipments right now to the US due to customs slowdown at the ports.
Slief, thanks for your response. I'm quite lost with these new skimmers. I love the RD 3 pump, but I don't know how good the new RD X will be. Also, I can not find prices or technical specifications for the SM 160. Therefore I don't know whether I should wait for the mini BK 180 with the RD X pump or pull the trigger with the new SM 160.

chema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2020, 09:47 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chema View Post
Slief, thanks for your response. I'm quite lost with these new skimmers. I love the RD 3 pump, but I don't know how good the new RD X will be. Also, I can not find prices or technical specifications for the SM 160. Therefore I don't know whether I should wait for the mini BK 180 with the RD X pump or pull the trigger with the new SM 160.
The SM160 is rated for a 100-200 gallons. It’s assumed you’d have a reasonably heavy fish load at 100 gallons. Heavy being 1/2” of fish per display gallon. So similar rating to the Mini 180. The skimmers dimensions are: footprint 32 x 18 cm with the pump and 56cm tall. The official technical specs for the SM160 will be released in the next couple weeks. They are short handed at the factory which has delated the completion of the data sheets and addition to the websites. I like the fact that the SM160 has the pump outside the body and I expect the RDX pumps to be very efficient, very quiet and very reliable.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote