Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/26/2019, 11:28 AM   #1
toruk
Registered Member

Help me figure out this overflow design

So I got this tank second hand and at first glimpse, I thought it was a typical drilled tank with an overflow. The design however is not something I have seen before and I am not sure where to start to fix it(if I have to). To me, it does not look like the water will come to the top of the tank and it looks like I will have to cover the holes. But looking behind the overflow im not sure. Can someone help explain what the elbow in the back is doing and will this design allow water to go to the top? If not what mods do I need to make to make this work?

Thanks, and let me know if anything needs to be further explained.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1817.jpg (53.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1818.jpg (45.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1819.jpg (48.4 KB, 37 views)
toruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2019, 01:33 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Wow.. I’d honestly start by ripping that out and building a whole new overflow. That’s a real mess and if the power goes out, half your tank will drain unless you use check valves. And check valves will fail. Plus, you won’t really get any surface skimming with that thing the way it is. The only other option I could see would be covering the entire thing up with new acrylic with slots cut in just the top or covering it up with new acrylic from 1-2” from the top all the way down. And that elbow in the inside of the overflow appears to be a durso drain.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2019, 02:02 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

^^yep...remove that all and start from scratch..

Unread 05/26/2019, 02:14 PM   #4
toruk
Registered Member

Thanks for the honesty. I got the tank cheap so i was expecting work but I just don't understand why someone would tear up the overflow box like this? I was planning on just using acrylic to cover the slots about 1.5in from the top. Then extend the PVC to the top. The durso drain as the only input to the sump is ok? I can still use the other one as a return or should have both drain into the sump and have the water return somewhere outside the overflow? Do you think it would be easier to just build the overflow from scratch?

Unread 05/26/2019, 02:15 PM   #5
toruk
Registered Member

Sorry mcgyvr just saw your post. Ill strip it out then.

Last edited by toruk; 05/26/2019 at 02:23 PM.
Unread 05/26/2019, 04:16 PM   #6
Sharpimage
Registered Member

I bet that tank was only half full. With that said, why only half full? I would be concerned of a leak or something

Sharpimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2019, 07:01 PM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

People are stoopid......case closed