Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/07/2021, 05:02 PM   #1
JohnnyVan1963
Registered Member

Ricordeas died (A bad week)

I am running an IM 40 all-in-one. It has been up and stable for two years now.
Most of the rock was covered by orange Ricordeas. Just too many to count.
A month back I bought a Diamond Goby to help maintain the sand bed. It was kicking up lots of fine sediment and the Ricordeas were not happy. I eliminated the fine sediment blizzard and blew the sediment off the corals with a turkey baster but they never bounced back. Basiccally each one expelled thier insides and disintegrated within a week.

Was this all just from the sediment or do you think it may have been a bacterial infection? It would be nice to learn from this mistake if possible.

JV

JohnnyVan1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2021, 08:43 PM   #2
4nReefer
Registered Member

Omg, I'm really sorry for your loss. There's a good chance that it is from the sand. Sand also acts like a filter and has lots of gunk in it. More importantly, overtime, the anaerobic bacteria in the sandbed create a toxic gas. This is why it is advised to only siphon little section at a time when vacuuming the sandbed. If the gobby stared up enough of the sandbed, it could release this toxins and could possibly cause the demise.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4nReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2021, 07:44 AM   #3
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

I have a friend who also put a Diamond Goby in his tank as well, what a pain in the arse fish..........................It went to every area of his tank & made a complete mess of everything sucking up & spewing substrate on everything, corals, rockwork, everything.
It did not last but 2 days & back to the LFS it went my buddy was so upset he almost put it in the toilet for revenge he told me, lol.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote