Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/01/2015, 04:47 PM   #51
ReefSalt
Dont Take My Word For it

nice work , keep the pics coming I want to see this build when it finished.

my new build:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2464054

Current Tank Info: Setup Since Dec 2014
ReefSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2015, 07:36 PM   #52
muttley000
MTS Sufferer!

That was more pics than I was expecting! Awesome so far, looking forward to the rest.

Current Tank Info: 475 multitank system is now running! Several hundred gallons of additions planned!
muttley000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2015, 08:32 PM   #53
Trainwreck618
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcardona View Post
Nope. Be concerned with it. Be VERY concerned with it. J/K

Honestly, take your time and do it right. You should be a proud of your fish room as you are of your tank. Regretfully I spend hours combing through threads looking at fish rooms. Paint it all. Beauty will be in the details.

I am really likely the layout.
I think your right, the beauty does seem to be in the details. I hate painting though.. The only bare wood not painted yet is the framing around the display tank and the water change system which i am still working on. So there isn't too much left. Thanks for the comment on the layout. Lol, just wait, it keeps changing.

Trainwreck618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2015, 08:36 PM   #54
Trainwreck618
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefSalt View Post
nice work , keep the pics coming I want to see this build when it finished.
Thank you, me too!

And same to you, your build is looking awesome so far!

Unread 01/01/2015, 08:39 PM   #55
Trainwreck618
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley000 View Post
That was more pics than I was expecting! Awesome so far, looking forward to the rest.
Hey, you asked for them!

Thank you, and thanks for following.

Unread 01/01/2015, 10:36 PM   #56
lluv24
Registered Member

Looks good bro!!!!!

Current Tank Info: 200 DD Mixed Reef;-)
lluv24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2015, 06:20 PM   #57
Trainwreck618
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluv24 View Post
Looks good bro!!!!!
Thank you, this has been a lot of fun so far.

Unread 01/02/2015, 06:40 PM   #58
Trainwreck618
Registered Member

So I thought I had a very awesome shipment of goodies coming this week, but it looks like it won't be here until Monday now.. Oh well, Im still working on some other things in the house that need to be done by Monday, and I won't have time to really play with anything yet anyway. I mentioned earlier that my wife and I are updating our kitchen and the contractor will be here Monday morning bright and early to help me finish. I already ripped everything out, rewired everything into a new updated 200amp panel, and closed up all the walls after re-insulating. Lot of work by myself.. I did have my wife to lend a hand here and there though, so that was good. Now its time for cabinets, new baseboard through out the whole house, casing out all of the new windows and doors that were installed, and finish the rest of the updated plumbing. So hopefully after next week I will be able to put some serious focus on the actual tank build. I really want to get it done but have been swamped with all the work on this house that has needed to be done. You should see the list of updates this house has received.. I might as well have just bought a new one! Anyway enough house talk, more tank talk! Here come more pics!

Unread 01/02/2015, 07:07 PM   #59
Trainwreck618
Registered Member

Proper use of a ladder..

I installed a hinged piece of plywood above the front of the tank so I could access from the front and back. These tanks are deep and I wanted to make sure I could get to everything easily.

Unread 01/06/2015, 07:44 PM   #60
Trainwreck618
Registered Member

My shipment came in on Monday and I haven't had much time to get the boxes unloaded, but this weekend should be a lot of fun. I am a bit busy, but later this week I will post some pictures of the fish quarantine build. It a simple 90g with dividers that should provide plenty of room to observe fish for a couple months. This whole process has been a lot of fun now that I'm nearing the finish line! Six months ago not so much..

Unread 01/06/2015, 08:17 PM   #61
bpcardona
Trying to hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck618 View Post
My shipment came in on Monday and I haven't had much time to get the boxes unloaded, but this weekend should be a lot of fun. I am a bit busy, but later this week I will post some pictures of the fish quarantine build. It a simple 90g with dividers that should provide plenty of room to observe fish for a couple months. This whole process has been a lot of fun now that I'm nearing the finish line! Six months ago not so much..

A lesson I (and my newly purchased potters leopard wrasse) had to learn was don't use eggcrate as dividers. He thought he could squeeze through the hole----and to his credit he could, just not unharmed. He died three days later.

QT-1.jpg

Livestock:
Clowns - Blonde Naso Tang - Blue Hippo Tang - Diamond Watchman Goby - Molly Miller -
bpcardona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2015, 08:22 PM   #62
Trainwreck618
Registered Member

Dang! That's no good, was this on the new quarantine you finished? Mine does not have eggcrate, it uses acrylic dividers with slots in them, like you might see at a fish store.

Unread 01/06/2015, 08:24 PM   #63
Trainwreck618
Registered Member

Very good looking fish by the way, shame he was so stubborn..

Unread 01/06/2015, 08:34 PM   #64
bpcardona
Trying to hard

Quote:
Dang! That's no good, was this on the new quarantine you finished? Mine does not have eggcrate, it uses acrylic dividers with slots in them, like you might see at a fish store.

That was my second design. I am currently my third designed QT that is finishing a cycle. I replaced it with glass dividers.

Livestock:
Clowns - Blonde Naso Tang - Blue Hippo Tang - Diamond Watchman Goby - Molly Miller -
Unread 01/06/2015, 08:50 PM   #65
Trainwreck618
Registered Member

ok, I just looked back at your thread. I thought this was on the new one you designed, good news that it wasn't! That would be very frustrating.. I think your new one you should have no problems. If a fish gets through the bio bale and balls now they are almost certainly trying very hard to commit suicide.

Unread 01/06/2015, 09:01 PM   #66
bpcardona
Trying to hard

Quote:
ok, I just looked back at your thread. I thought this was on the new one you designed, good news that it wasn't! That would be very frustrating.. I think your new one you should have no problems. If a fish gets through the bio bale and balls now they are almost certainly trying very hard to commit suicide.

If they make it past the filter sock they deserve to die!

Livestock:
Unread 01/06/2015, 09:14 PM   #67
Trainwreck618
Registered Member

Speaking of the filter sock, is there a way for the water to spill over in case that one gets clogged up? I was wondering that when reading it over the weekend but never asked.

Unread 01/06/2015, 09:17 PM   #68
Trainwreck618
Registered Member

By the way, if anyone was smart enough to go to my photobucket by clicking on one of the pictures to see further progress.. Shame on you! On a side note.. I'm an idiot and just learned how to make that private so I could only share the pictures I want you to see. Luckly I didn't load up any recent photos..

Unread 01/06/2015, 09:20 PM   #69
bpcardona
Trying to hard

Quote:
Speaking of the filter sock, is there a way for the water to spill over in case that one gets clogged up? I was wondering that when reading it over the weekend but never asked.
Sir yes Sir! Good call though. I made this mistake in the 1st design of my sump, likely someone here caught it. Sorry I don't mean to hi-jack your thread with pics, I just take a ton.

Livestock-1.jpg

Livestock:
Unread 01/06/2015, 09:31 PM   #70
Trainwreck618
Registered Member

No worries, good idea with the teeth on there. If you already posted this picture it must not have registered. I have one last question, but if you could answer this on your thread I think it would be more helpful. You carved those teeth into the glass, I've never done that, and I kept wondering how you did that without breaking the glass? I mean with acrylic that's easy, but glass.. I just kept picturing you using a dremel or something similar and small glass shards flying up in your face. Please explain how you did that because I'm very curious on the process.

Unread 01/26/2015, 09:35 AM   #71
Trainwreck618
Registered Member

I have been pretty busy lately, sorry for no updates. Here are a few pics of the fish quarantine tank in its temporary location until i can get things moved around in the sump room.

Here is the first spot I tried it, but i figured it would be too much trouble having it up this high.

Then I decided to move it into a different room until I could figure out the perfect spot so that it wouldn't be in the way while I worked on everything else. Here is the plumbing, which I ended up changing for reasons I will explain later.

I decided to throw in a larger sump to handle more water.

I ended up removing one of the baffles on the right side to make a larger swimming area for any larger fish. I have made some adjustment since then but don't have any recent pics, and will end up posting more once I relocate this tank to its final resting place.

Unread 01/26/2015, 09:57 AM   #72
Trainwreck618
Registered Member

Here is a photo of the rimless frag tank i will touch more on later, just trying to get some updates out.

Getting ready for some plumbing, things are starting to come together.

Here is Melody inspecting my work as i drill the sump.

Return plumbing to the 300 done! lots more to go..

I threw a 40g on the stand to mix up some salt for a water change upstairs. Also you can see that I chose the path of least resistants for the return from the sump. There was much debate over this, but in the end I figured it would be easier. I will build a stand over it as a step up to the bench in front of the 300 so I can get up there to work on things easier.

Here are two 44 gallon brutes that are filled up and curing with dry pukani rock and some tonga.

Unread 01/26/2015, 01:41 PM   #73
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Thank you for the update.

In the QT, I assume that anything in thee would be all at once, as adding a new inhabitant would restart the cycle of all fish in the QT.

That is a nice and large QT!

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2015, 03:32 PM   #74
Trainwreck618
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
Thank you for the update.

In the QT, I assume that anything in thee would be all at once, as adding a new inhabitant would restart the cycle of all fish in the QT.

That is a nice and large QT!

Yes, you are correct. I was thinking about adding another qt system so that i could have alternating.. but I'm not really going to be stocking the display heavy with fish. I am in no hurry to add anything to quickly, so this should do. Also, this is more of an observation tank, I will not be treating in here. If a fish becomes ill I will transport it to another tank to start treatments. I have two 40g tanks that will act as hospital tanks in case of an emergency. It is probably larger than I need for quarantine, but I prefer the stability of more saltwater. It is a 90g tank w/ 40g sump.

Unread 01/26/2015, 06:46 PM   #75
Mustang67
Registered Member

Very nice, great build. Following along.

Mustang67 is offline   Reply With Quote