Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/02/2019, 10:05 AM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

bubble anemone in the dark.. should I move it?

Hi,
My bubble walked to a very dark area of my tank, on bottom of rock area, hard to access. I can barely see it. It's been there for a day and half, hasnt moved since. When should I take action and move it?

TY

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2019, 10:26 AM   #2
WatDatThing
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
Hi,

My bubble walked to a very dark area of my tank, on bottom of rock area, hard to access. I can barely see it. It's been there for a day and half, hasnt moved since. When should I take action and move it?

TY
I would turn or move the rock if it doesn't move to the light in a week. I have 2 that are holding to dear life because they wouldn't move themselves. I finally move them to the corner with some light. Hopefully they will make it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2019, 10:36 AM   #3
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatDatThing View Post
I would turn or move the rock if it doesn't move to the light in a week. I have 2 that are holding to dear life because they wouldn't move themselves. I finally move them to the corner with some light. Hopefully they will make it.

TY Wat
I was thinking same thing.. 5-7 days... I just got it, mainly b/c of my recent history of nems dying. That's a different story, but I thnk that since this nem is attached to a rock now , though deep down, perhaps if I move the rock in a few days nem will stay put. He was only a day in tank when was moving, which is normal... and he never got a firm liek glue attachment until he moved to where at now. Wish me luck on this one. If I can't keep this one then something's fishy.. I never had a prob with nems in my previous tank that had much bigger issues than this one (which as far as I know is low on issues ).

TY

Unread 07/02/2019, 10:57 AM   #4
WatDatThing
Registered Member

Did you buy the BTA from local reefer? I think those are easier to acclimate to new tank.

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2019, 11:14 AM   #5
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatDatThing View Post
Did you buy the BTA from local reefer? I think those are easier to acclimate to new tank.

LFS.. I'm trying local for a while. I've seen the nem in person of course, it's perfect from what I can see.

Unread 07/02/2019, 11:30 AM   #6
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

You should never move a nem
They are quite capable of moving themselves
If you want him to move change the flow, might take some time.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2019, 11:39 AM   #7
RBU1
Moving on Up

Uncle 99 is spot on. They will move on there own. No need to move them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBU1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2019, 01:43 PM   #8
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
You should never move a nem
They are quite capable of moving themselves
If you want him to move change the flow, might take some time.
There are certainly cases where it is advisable to move an anemone.
But generally you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
TY Wat
I was thinking same thing.. 5-7 days... I just got it, mainly b/c of my recent history of nems dying. That's a different story, but I thnk that since this nem is attached to a rock now , though deep down, perhaps if I move the rock in a few days nem will stay put. He was only a day in tank when was moving, which is normal... and he never got a firm liek glue attachment until he moved to where at now. Wish me luck on this one. If I can't keep this one then something's fishy.. I never had a prob with nems in my previous tank that had much bigger issues than this one (which as far as I know is low on issues ).

TY
To get an anemone to stay in a specific spot you need to make sure it finds its needs met there. If that isn't the case it will move away.
BTAs are known to walk around until they find a spot they like. And especially some of the darker green ones seem to like it a little more shady than the brighter green and red ones.

If you have no danger spots in the tank like heaters, unshielded powerheads, or overflows it can get sucked in and clog, then you should just let it find its place by itself, even if it takes a while.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2019, 02:49 PM   #9
j.falk
Registered Member

Every new BTA that I've bought has always went into the shade for at least a week before they start coming out looking for light.

My advice: Leave it alone. The more you mess with it, the more you'll stress it out.

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2019, 10:42 PM   #10
ratienza80
Registered Member

I would leave it alone as to not stress it out, like others said. once it's acclimated to your water, flow and light it will move to where it is most comfortable.

Remember what's best for the Nem may not be the most visually appealing to you in the tank, but switching up the flow a little may sway it to move in the area you want to. I've had RBTAs move up rocks, down rocks, to the back of the tank and back front and center. Sometimes you just never know.

Cheers!

ratienza80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2019, 12:51 PM   #11
CTaylor
Registered Member

TY for all the responses
It is still in the shade, but it's streched out very much to hit some filtered light. VERY little light..like maybe 5 par at the very most. Its just enough to see it, not much more than that. It may be attached to a rock or the bottom acrylic of the tank. I'll just see what happens by wed/thurs if I need to think about moving it.

Unread 07/15/2019, 03:58 AM   #12
OrionN
Moved on

I would not separate the anemone from the rock. I would rearrange the rock to expose the anemone to more light.
There are times anemone will not move from a bad situation. It they have not moved after 1 week, I often help them.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2019, 06:57 AM   #13
j.falk
Registered Member

Liveaquaria has green bubble tip anemones for $14.99 today!

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote