Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/09/2019, 06:33 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

where to find a small / medium sheet of sponge material for powerhead?

Hi
To keep my ritteri from getting caught and tore up in my ph, what is a good sponge material to wrap it in? I cant use a basic ph sponge because it's a tunze 3. It has a large diameter over which I need to wrap material to keep nem out. I tried filter floss pad, but it got clogged over night, and was stressing the ph. I was going to use needlepoint fabric, but the holes looked far too small and it would just get clogged really quick, same situation. I was going to get some fish nets and just use that but then I need to find the right mesh size to not be too big or small. Ideally just a flat sheet of sponge will do it. But also something for aquariums, so it doesnt leach any harmful materials into the tank.

Ideas?
I'll also ask the Tunze guy in his forum here.

TY!

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2019, 09:51 PM   #2
Daddi0
Registered Member

I used to use this to make freshwater filters:https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Replacem...01369899&psc=1
Cheers! Mark

Unread 10/10/2019, 11:01 PM   #3
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddi0 View Post
I used to use this to make freshwater filters:https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Replacem...01369899&psc=1
Cheers! Mark
good idea. I just found this also. https://www.amazon.com/Powkoo-Aquari...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

It's significnatly more $$, but thicker. The pump is very powerful. So somethign too thin and therefore not dense enough may still pull the nem in (?). Also I'm nervous about the material leaching some type of chems into the water from the cheper one (the thin airfilter) as compared to the more $$ one "for" aquariums. I dont mind paying more for peace of mind also. Especially since it will be reusable.

Is there any reason to beleive either is tank unsafe?

TY

Unread 10/11/2019, 01:20 AM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I use this: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pf-ov...s-eshopps.html
Not sure which size I'm actually using (it's definitely the one with the larger ID). The ID is half of the OD of a Marineland powerhead 1200 in the flow-pump configuration, yet the foam is stretchable enough to get it on to cover the intake. You could always call eshopps or BRS to ask which is the closest in size for your needs.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2019, 09:53 AM   #5
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
I use this: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pf-ov...s-eshopps.html
Not sure which size I'm actually using (it's definitely the one with the larger ID). The ID is half of the OD of a Marineland powerhead 1200 in the flow-pump configuration, yet the foam is stretchable enough to get it on to cover the intake. You could always call eshopps or BRS to ask which is the closest in size for your needs.
TY
MY ID is a good 3-4" though. That largest one , I jsut asked BRS, is only 1.5 ID. So I'm thjnking it woudl tear to stretch it over my intake.
I want to get the flat sponge from amazon, just I dont know that manufacturer. Im' always super paranoid abotu anything unknown touching the water, esp with things are goign well now in my tank finally and consistently and I dont want to mess it up. I could also thread secure ties through it , effectively making small holes rathr than the large slots, but that would add stress to the pump pulling through stiff holes.

Unread 10/11/2019, 10:05 AM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The secure ties idea won't work because it actually increases surface suction.
What you need is a sponge to decrease surface suction and give the water alternative paths should an anemone decide to sit on it. A 1 cm/ 0.5 inch thick foam layer should be fine if it is the large open pores style.
Another option would be a secondary screen far enough away to have the same effect as the foam, something like a much larger slotted tube for example.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2019, 01:41 PM   #7
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
The secure ties idea won't work because it actually increases surface suction.
What you need is a sponge to decrease surface suction and give the water alternative paths should an anemone decide to sit on it. A 1 cm/ 0.5 inch thick foam layer should be fine if it is the large open pores style.
Another option would be a secondary screen far enough away to have the same effect as the foam, something like a much larger slotted tube for example.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Right, what I was thikning but didnt know how to desscribe the physcics of it... Which brings me to the sponge from amazon as it's 0.8 in thick.. and I can cut to whatever area I want to wrap around the PH.
*Just a matter of knowing what it's made of and if any of that will get into the tank water