Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/10/2014, 11:53 PM   #1
Zeppelinator
Registered Member

Smile T5 lighting for 90 gallon reef retrofit vs fixture

Hey all, I've just put a 90 gallon standard 48x18x24 in the house and need to decide on lighting. I'm hoping to keep it sps dominated, but halides will be too hot. I'm thinking t5 ho. Whatever I get has to fit inside a canopy. Im not sure whether I should get a fixture like an ATI or retrofit some t5s inside the canopy. Suggestions?

Zeppelinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2014, 08:10 AM   #2
sneeyatch
Registered Member

I had an old 6 bulb tek fixture over my old 90 and it was plenty of light. Depends on how handy you are IMO. fixtures are plug and play but you may have a problem fitting them in a canopy. I didn't have one / don't like the looks of a canopy so it was an easy decision for me. If you go retrofit, there's wiring involved. Some folks don't like to deal with stuff like that.

My 90 I have now is LED lit with black box fixtures. The fixtures are small and can usually fit in a canopy.

It's often the saddest of us working our hardest to make everyone laugh

Current Tank Info: Tankless
sneeyatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2014, 09:24 AM   #3
Bpb
Registered Member

Don't write metal halides off so soon. I'm running 2x250 watt halides over my 90 gallon and only keep a clip on fan inside the canopy. Temperature stays between 79.5-80.0 when the lights are on. At any rate. If you're dead set on t5 I'd go 6 bulb minimum for color combination reasons. Coming from a 4 bulb fixture myself previously, I hated how limited I was on bulb choices. You could save money and have a lot of light if you went DIY, but I've personally got a phobia of my own electrical work skills and get freaked out over exposed wires so I'd vote prefab fixture for the extra couple hundred bucks personally. If nothing else for the peace of mind that it was assembled by a professional, not a google searcher

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2014, 10:55 AM   #4
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

why not go without a canopy and use a sweet 4-6 bulb Ati 54 watt dimmable fixture?

Zacktosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2014, 11:48 AM   #5
toomany
Registered Member

I'm kind of in the same boat, except with a 120. Are there any major downsides to running a full fixture inside of a canopy? I'm set up with two fans on each end....so air flow shouldn't be a problem.

toomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2014, 12:09 PM   #6
d2mini
Registered Member

If you are looking at fixtures for a canopy, find out what's needed for bulb changes.
Some fixtures require you to remove a single sheet of glass from the side of the fixture, meaning you would have to remove the fixture from the canopy in order to do any bulb changes. And with T5, you will probably spend some time messing with different bulb combos in the beginning.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2014, 10:09 PM   #7
toomany
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
If you are looking at fixtures for a canopy, find out what's needed for bulb changes.
Some fixtures require you to remove a single sheet of glass from the side of the fixture, meaning you would have to remove the fixture from the canopy in order to do any bulb changes. And with T5, you will probably spend some time messing with different bulb combos in the beginning.
I never even considered bulb maintenance. Guess I just assumed they came out the bottom. Think I'm leaning more toward the retrofits now.

toomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2014, 11:34 PM   #8
Bpb
Registered Member

I like canopies because if you're tank is in a living area it'll shield the glare you get whenever you find yourself below eye level with the lights.

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2014, 09:26 PM   #9
Zeppelinator
Registered Member

How huge would the difference be between using 6 t5's vs using 8 t5's? Can I keep sps with either?

Zeppelinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2014, 06:58 AM   #10
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinator View Post
How huge would the difference be between using 6 t5's vs using 8 t5's? Can I keep sps with either?
Yes, sps no problem.
I don't run just T5's so I'd check with others who do, but 8 seems like a lot for your size tank.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2014, 11:45 AM   #11
jdraider75
Registered Member

I run 8 bulbs on a 120 and it's more than enough light. For a 90 I would do a 6 bulb for sure.

jdraider75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, fixture, lighting, retrofit, sps