Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/05/2017, 06:07 PM   #1
timnem70
Registered Member

Think I misread. Please Help

Anyone use Brightwell Aquatics Reef code(s) A-P amd B-P? I got a bad percipitation reaction. Used B-P first to raise Alk.and thoroughly mixed recommended amount in RODI added to my sump. Waited 10 minutes and the did the same with B-P to raise my Calcium and added to the DT. Am I mis reading these two products? Was thinking a 2 part. It is slowly clearing up about an hour later but... HELP.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

timnem70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 06:18 PM   #2
VoltzNSalt
In Memoriam

Were you just trying to maintain a particular alk level or raise it? Alk will look 'milky' when you pour it in. Also, you shouldn't try to raise alk too quick...only about 1.5 dkh/day...

You may have just dosed too much alk at once...

VoltzNSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 06:34 PM   #3
timnem70
Registered Member

I was only trying to raise it 1dkh point. My question was whether those two products were what I thought they were. When I addes the Alk first ot was cloudy as usual for like 20 seconds. Then afyer I added the Calcium supplement, in a different part of the system like you're supposed to it clouded my whole system. Ive used two part forever but never the Brightwell aqautics line.

Unread 12/05/2017, 06:38 PM   #4
timnem70
Registered Member

Says to use 10ml of each per 20 gallons. I used 15ml for a 40gallon volume of water. Just trying to raise both. 1 dkh point amd like 20 calcium points.

Unread 12/05/2017, 06:39 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Its a 2 part.. A-P is the calcium B-P is the alkalinity portion..

How much did you add? (be very specific here.. how much water to how much powder.. then how much of that did you add to the tank)?
How many gallons of water do you have?
What was your starting alk and cal readings (prior to dosing)? and What are they now? <--This will basically tell you how bad you messed up

Unread 12/05/2017, 06:46 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

From your description, it sounds as if the water got cloudy after you added the calcium. So that might be calcium carbonate precipitation. If the dose was fairly large, adding it to the main tank might be safer. If the sump calcium level (or alkalinity level) gets high enough, calcium carbonate will start precipitating. Adding the mix to a larger volume of water can help.

Unread 12/05/2017, 09:20 PM   #7
timnem70
Registered Member

I think you're right on the money Bertoni. The more I think about it, even though a bit of time had passed, put both in the Sump.
To answer the questions. It's a 30 gallon tank 15 gallon sump. Reef Octo 110 ss. Major amounts of Macro all types.
My Alk was 7.2 DKH. Cal was 390 I added 15ml to 1 gallon of RODI water (alk 1st waited 15 minutes and mixed up cal) and made sure mixed well. It says to add 10ml to every 20 gallons so I wanted to be slow about it and only added 15ml to my 30 gallons of total water volume.
The tank has since gone clear but wanted to avoid it for next time. Think maybe just too quickly. Next time i will wait 45 or an hour in between and add Ca directly to tank and Alk. In sump.
Thanks everyone

Unread 12/05/2017, 09:29 PM   #8
bertoni
RC Mod

You're welcome. Good luck!