Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/06/2017, 08:21 AM   #1
cincyjim
Registered Member

Feeding

Can you feed fresh water Mollies that were acclimated to salt water to an octopus? At the rate they breed it should be an endless supply of food. Thoughts?

Jim

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2017, 03:59 PM   #2
devildog999
That Guy

I'd like to see an answer to this as well because it would be useful for Frogfish.

devildog999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2017, 07:22 AM   #3
McPuff
Registered Member

I don't see why not. Did you have any concerns in particular?

Mollies are naturally found in estuaries and full salt environments so they are not actually a freshwater fish.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2017, 02:56 PM   #4
mrcyrus
Registered Member

The amount you need to feed is not able to be fulfilled by breeding. I had a tank I used to pick up one dollar black mollies for feeders, yes they switch to salt but you need a separate tank to house them. As a test before a move I bought a lion and it wiped out a 30+ breeding school in less than 2 weeks. Consider also, will your octopus even eat them? My mimic octopus had tons of hermits and damsels in his 75g but never touched them, instead he hand fed off grocery store prawn.

mrcyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 04:17 AM   #5
thomashtom
Registered Member

I would be concerned about the nutritional needs of the octopus needs. Just go to a seafood store and get food from there.

thomashtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 05:02 PM   #6
Rilelen
Registered Member

A. aculeatus doesn't normally eat fish, but with my last male octopus, I experimented with some of my SW molly fry, just to see...sure enough, he stalked and ate them. These were very small fry - maybe .25-.5 inches? Certainly not enough to sustain an octopus long-term, and I only did it once or twice as an experiment (and with close supervision to make sure they molly fry did not harass him).

Office Nano Tank System (29 Gallon + 20 Gallon): Saltwater mollies + fry
Rilelen is offline   Reply With Quote