Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2018, 08:49 AM   #1
icliao
Registered Member

How fast can phosphate be lowered safely

My phosphate level is at 0.36 ppm and I was wondering how fast can I lower it to 0.02-0.04 ppm without shockong the corals? I bought some PhosphateRX and it says 0.5ppm per day is safe. That means I can bring it down at one shot?

icliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 08:58 AM   #2
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

The corals won't care about the phosphate drop per say, but the product may change the pH or something. I think you have to trust the mfg's instructions.

I would also want to know if, once the products binds the phosphate, whether or not you can expect the bound phosphate to get released back into the system over time. At least with GFO you know you are removing the bound phosphate when you toss the GFO.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 09:00 AM   #3
icliao
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Guthrie View Post
The corals won't care about the phosphate drop per say, but the product may change the pH or something. I think you have to trust the mfg's instructions.

I would also want to know if, once the products binds the phosphate, whether or not you can expect the bound phosphate to get released back into the system over time. At least with GFO you know you are removing the bound phosphate when you toss the GFO.
I think it will only get released in specific condition such as very low PH. Public aquarium uses them and my tank is 1000 galon and it is very expensive and time consuming to use GFO

Unread 03/12/2018, 10:45 AM   #4
Dsekula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icliao View Post
I think it will only get released in specific condition such as very low PH. Public aquarium uses them and my tank is 1000 galon and it is very expensive and time consuming to use GFO
When I've had issues if I went more than .2 the nems get annoyed and retracted (lta and bta)there were also some tentacle tips lost . I didn't notice any other fluctuations but there may have been something else contributing but everyone did recover. Just my experience tho.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 10:55 AM   #5
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

I lowered mine .3ppm over about 6 hrs every week with no problems

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 11:05 PM   #6
icliao
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pslreefer View Post
I lowered mine .3ppm over about 6 hrs every week with no problems
Cool

Unread 03/13/2018, 11:55 PM   #7
tkeracer619
Registered Member

This thread I'm putting together may be of interest to you... it documents my lanthanum chloride phosphate reactor on a 600gal display.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2667999

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 12:10 AM   #8
icliao
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
This thread I'm putting together may be of interest to you... it documents my lanthanum chloride phosphate reactor on a 600gal display.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2667999
How about dilute the lanthanum chloride solution 100 times with RO water and dose it with a dosing pump really slowly? And adjust the dosage according to the raise and fall of phosphate level? Would that work?

Unread 03/14/2018, 09:50 AM   #9
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icliao View Post
How about dilute the lanthanum chloride solution 100 times with RO water and dose it with a dosing pump really slowly? And adjust the dosage according to the raise and fall of phosphate level? Would that work?
Should work just fine. The reason I decided on a reactor instead of just a filter sock was time between service. So far it has been very reliable and easily controllable. Now that I am down considerably from the start I will need to reduce my concentration of the LaCl. I'm already diluting LaCl 1 cap full to 5 gallons but it is much stronger than than the stuff you are using.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote