Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 03/12/2018, 08:49 AM   #1
icliao
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 726
How fast can phosphate be lowered safely

My phosphate level is at 0.36 ppm and I was wondering how fast can I lower it to 0.02-0.04 ppm without shockong the corals? I bought some PhosphateRX and it says 0.5ppm per day is safe. That means I can bring it down at one shot?


icliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2018, 08:58 AM   #2
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member
 
Kevin Guthrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 404
The corals won't care about the phosphate drop per say, but the product may change the pH or something. I think you have to trust the mfg's instructions.

I would also want to know if, once the products binds the phosphate, whether or not you can expect the bound phosphate to get released back into the system over time. At least with GFO you know you are removing the bound phosphate when you toss the GFO.


Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2018, 09:00 AM   #3
icliao
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Guthrie View Post
The corals won't care about the phosphate drop per say, but the product may change the pH or something. I think you have to trust the mfg's instructions.

I would also want to know if, once the products binds the phosphate, whether or not you can expect the bound phosphate to get released back into the system over time. At least with GFO you know you are removing the bound phosphate when you toss the GFO.
I think it will only get released in specific condition such as very low PH. Public aquarium uses them and my tank is 1000 galon and it is very expensive and time consuming to use GFO


icliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2018, 10:45 AM   #4
Dsekula
Registered Member
 
Dsekula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sterling
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by icliao View Post
I think it will only get released in specific condition such as very low PH. Public aquarium uses them and my tank is 1000 galon and it is very expensive and time consuming to use GFO
When I've had issues if I went more than .2 the nems get annoyed and retracted (lta and bta)there were also some tentacle tips lost . I didn't notice any other fluctuations but there may have been something else contributing but everyone did recover. Just my experience tho.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk


Dsekula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2018, 10:55 AM   #5
Pslreefer
Registered Member
 
Pslreefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Port St Lucie, FL
Posts: 472
I lowered mine .3ppm over about 6 hrs every week with no problems


Pslreefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2018, 11:05 PM   #6
icliao
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pslreefer View Post
I lowered mine .3ppm over about 6 hrs every week with no problems
Cool


icliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2018, 11:55 PM   #7
tkeracer619
Registered Member

 
tkeracer619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 16,960
This thread I'm putting together may be of interest to you... it documents my lanthanum chloride phosphate reactor on a 600gal display.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2667999


__________________
Hobby Experience: 9200ish gallons, 26 skimmers, and a handful of Kent Scrapers.
Current Tank:
Vortech Powered 600G SPS Tank w/ 100gal frag tank & 100g Sump. RK2-RK10 Skimmer. ReefAngel. Radium 20k.
tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2018, 12:10 AM   #8
icliao
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
This thread I'm putting together may be of interest to you... it documents my lanthanum chloride phosphate reactor on a 600gal display.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2667999
How about dilute the lanthanum chloride solution 100 times with RO water and dose it with a dosing pump really slowly? And adjust the dosage according to the raise and fall of phosphate level? Would that work?


icliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2018, 09:50 AM   #9
tkeracer619
Registered Member

 
tkeracer619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 16,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by icliao View Post
How about dilute the lanthanum chloride solution 100 times with RO water and dose it with a dosing pump really slowly? And adjust the dosage according to the raise and fall of phosphate level? Would that work?
Should work just fine. The reason I decided on a reactor instead of just a filter sock was time between service. So far it has been very reliable and easily controllable. Now that I am down considerably from the start I will need to reduce my concentration of the LaCl. I'm already diluting LaCl 1 cap full to 5 gallons but it is much stronger than than the stuff you are using.


__________________
Hobby Experience: 9200ish gallons, 26 skimmers, and a handful of Kent Scrapers.
Current Tank:
Vortech Powered 600G SPS Tank w/ 100gal frag tank & 100g Sump. RK2-RK10 Skimmer. ReefAngel. Radium 20k.
tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.