Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/21/2017, 01:49 PM   #1
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Tricaine methanesulfonate

What is the impact of using Tricaine in a reef to sedate a fish that is unable to be caught? There aren't other fish in the tank just corals and other inverts. Could this be done without other bad things happeneing provided there was a large water change done after the fish was caught?

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 03:56 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

I am not sure what might happen to the other animals in the tank. I'd watch the pH during treatment, and buffer if needed. I'd use large water changes and carbon after the treatment. How big is the tank?

Unread 11/21/2017, 06:46 PM   #3
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I am not sure what might happen to the other animals in the tank. I'd watch the pH during treatment, and buffer if needed. I'd use large water changes and carbon after the treatment. How big is the tank?
It's not my tank, it's Achilles Torben on here. From what I gather it's 1500L

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Unread 11/25/2017, 08:44 AM   #4
zachfishman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
+1 Any time you use MS-222 you must buffer it as it is highly acidic. I believe it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1:1 (by weight) MS-222:soda ash, but don't quote me on that. IME, just bicarbonate isn't enough to counteract the acidity of MS-222.

Also, I think you risk far too much attempting to dose the whole tank. I recommend a trap if time allows.

Tampa Bay Reef Club BOD 2018

Current Tank Info: 34g modded Solana
zachfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2017, 09:29 AM   #5
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachfishman View Post
+1 Any time you use MS-222 you must buffer it as it is highly acidic. I believe it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1:1 (by weight) MS-222:soda ash, but don't quote me on that. IME, just bicarbonate isn't enough to counteract the acidity of MS-222.

Also, I think you risk far too much attempting to dose the whole tank. I recommend a trap if time allows.
It's a Assesor and he can't catch it with traps apparently. He also added 5 lion fish to tank and they weren't able to "catch" the fish either. I will advise him it probably isn't a great idea

Unread 11/25/2017, 10:19 AM   #6
zachfishman
Registered Member

An Assesor? My bet is that it would find a crevice to hide in once it began to feel the effects of the MS-222, and you’d have to tear the tank apart anyway.

Tampa Bay Reef Club BOD 2018

Current Tank Info: 34g modded Solana
zachfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2017, 11:10 AM   #7
bertoni
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
It's not my tank, it's Achilles Torben on here. From what I gather it's 1500L
Oops, I missed this. That's a big tank to have to disassemble, but I agree that using this chemical seems very risky.

Unread 12/29/2017, 01:59 PM   #8
nematode
Registered Member

Why not use a slurp gun?

nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2017, 02:00 PM   #9
nematode
Registered Member

Absolutely crazy to try ms222 on a whole tank

nematode is offline   Reply With Quote