Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/18/2017, 10:25 AM   #1
ReeferCatFish
Registered Member

Where to buy a BeanAnimal overflow?

Hi guys! Sorry if this is a total noob question, but I'm interested in what I think is called a BeanAnimal styled over flow. Most of what I've seen have been DIY versions, but I'm wondering if there's a place to just buy them.

Thank you for your help!

-RCT

Current Tank Info: No saltwater right now, but planning.....
ReeferCatFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 10:47 AM   #2
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Senergy Reef http://synergyreef.com/product/16-shadow-overflow/

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 12:34 PM   #3
ReeferCatFish
Registered Member

Thank you very much for the reply!

-D

Unread 11/18/2017, 01:22 PM   #4
Lsufan
Registered Member

Beananimal is the drain setup, not the overflow. U can have a beananimal drain in a bunch of different kinds of overflow boxes. U essentially need to have 3 holes for the drains to have a beananimal drain setup. Beananimal setup his drains with a coast to coast overflow box because the longer the overflow box is the better it is because of surface skimming. So he basically combined the best drain setup & the best overflow setup, as far as the length of the overflow. That is why I always make my overflows as long as possible & why I recommend to people to get the longest overflow box that will fit their tank.

As far as overflow boxes. The link above is a good one. Modular marine also makes a quality ghost type overflow like the synergy. I believe modular marine has more sizes to choose from & he will actually make a custom box to fit your needs. If u want to use a beananimal make sure the box has 3 drain holes

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 08:54 AM   #5
ReeferCatFish
Registered Member

Hi, Lsufan!

Thank you for the info! Maybe I didn’t understand what was what, but I think I got it now. I do want one that looks nice, so I will look into the ones you mentioned. I also think I found one at DFS made by Eshopps.

Thank you again for the reply!!

-RCF

Unread 11/19/2017, 09:07 AM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

If you mean the ghost style overflow with bean configuration, there are a number of them. Can find them on eBay or at most of the online sellers. The Eshopps ones are fine, I use their two drain version on my QT.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 09:14 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

synergy shadow, reef savvy ghost, eshopps eclipse L, modular marine LPOS.....

Unread 11/19/2017, 11:05 AM   #8
ReeferCatFish
Registered Member

Hey guys! Thanks again for the help! Yes, I do need the whole unit with the overflow itself and the three BeanAnimal pipes. I will definitely check out some of those suggestions.

-RCF

Unread 11/19/2017, 11:58 AM   #9
Lsufan
Registered Member

I believe the eshopps only comes with two holes for drains, so u can’t use a beananimal.
What size is the tank?

Unread 11/19/2017, 03:54 PM   #10
ReeferCatFish
Registered Member

40 gallons. And I thought they had more than one size, with some having the three holes. That’s fine though, I wasn’t married to the Eshopps idea, just another example I saw. I’m still stuck at work, but I’m going to go through the links and suggestions offers previously when I get home.

Thanks very much for your help!

-RCF

Unread 11/19/2017, 06:55 PM   #11
mcgyvr
Registered Member

The eshopps "L" has 3 drains.. The S and M models are only 2..

Unread 11/24/2017, 08:38 AM   #12
ReeferCatFish
Registered Member

Hi guys! I hope everyone had a great turkey day!

I was doing a little more research into what I'm hoping to do, and I found the website for the BeanAnimal overflow setup, and I think I now have a better idea what's what. Here's what I'm hoping to do, maybe one of you guys could suggest how I get there. I've been going back and fourth on getting a new tank, which one, what size, etc. I am 99% sure I want to get an Innovative Marine Nuvo Black 40 gallon tank, and I want to drill it and run a sump. Please note, this is not the fusion model that has the all-in-one filter section, this is just a tank with a dark back pane of glass. So I want to drill it and run a sump, and I definitely do not want a hang on back surface skimmer.

For drilled overflows, it's my new understanding that there's a box inside the aquarium that skims the surface of the water, and this part I believe is called the weir. Ideally, you'd like the weir to run the length of the tank, and be as narrow/low profile as possible. Then there's a box outside the aquarium that water runs into and then down to the sump via drain, and this part I think is just referred to as the overflow box. As long as this box is drilled with 3 holes, l can set up a BeanAnimal styled drain pipe set up. Is that about right, because that's what I want to do.

So I want to buy a nicely made overflow box that allows me to set it up with the three drain pipes (unless maybe there's an even better drain system than the BeanAnimal?). I checked out the Synergy Reef, Modular Marine, Eshopps, and I think a couple others. They all seem fairly similar, and all seemed to have some pros and cons according to user reviews I read. Is there one of these that you guys might steer my to for my application? Most important things to me are it has to look very nice, sleek, professional. Obviously, it has to allow for enough flow, but I'm only running a 40 gallon, so that should be easy. And, I'll take the longest weir I can practically do, though for my 24" long tank I think a 12" or 16" weir would give me a lot of surface skimming, without taking up too much room in the tank. What do you guys think? Any help would be really, really appreciated!

Thanks again for the help!

RCF

Unread 11/24/2017, 06:42 PM   #13
Lsufan
Registered Member

Sounds like u have been doing a bunch of research over the last week or so. Everything u said is basically right. Beananimal is by far the best drain setup, their is nothing better.

For a 24” tank I would get the 16” version & as u said, as long as it has three drain holes u can use a beananimal. U may want to check but I think the 12” boxes only have two holes. Even if u find a 12” one with three holes I don’t think it would work great. Not only will u have issues fitting the plumbing but the small box can have some stability issues. I think for those reasons are why they only have 2 holes.

I make my own overflows. I made one similar to the ghost type overflows because I like those type of boxes. I made it myself because I wanted it to be 52” long & I would have paid a lot more to get modular marine to make one for me. If I was to purchase one I would go with the modular marine & get the toothless version. I don’t like having teeth on a overflow & modular marine makes a toothless version. Both the MM & synergy look really good cosmetically, so I think that is a wash. The interior wier is also slimmer on the mm. I believe it is less then 1.25” & the synergy is a little over 1.5”. It may just be me but I don’t care for the eshopps.

U may want to check out BRS while they are having the Black Friday sales. They don’t carry the mm, they carry the synergy. If it is on sale it may be worth it to u & save the money & go with the synergy

Last edited by Lsufan; 11/24/2017 at 06:55 PM.
Unread 11/24/2017, 06:57 PM   #14
Lsufan
Registered Member

I just looked & the synergy is on sale for $125. To me it isn’t that much cheaper then the mm to make me go with it over modular marine

Unread 11/24/2017, 10:47 PM   #15
ReeferCatFish
Registered Member

Hey, LSUFAN!

Thanks for your suggestions! Honestly, it's looking like the I'm choosing between the Synergy Reef Shadow, or the Modular Marine Ghost. I think the Synergy Reef Shadow overflow really *sounds* great on paper, and really had some of the best user reviews I saw. It also clearly seems to be the least expensive when you look at gph capacity. That said, the modular marine seems to have a smaller weir or inside box, and that is huge with me for this build. And by smaller I don't mean length, I agree I think about 16" would be great for a great fit for my 24" 40 gallon, but the Modular Marine is thinner and shorter, and I really, really like that a lot.

Cost-wise, the Modular Marine overflows seem more expensive than the comparable Synergy, by gph, but I'm planning a 40 gallon tank, so do I really need a 2600 gph overflow? If I got the Modular Marine 1200 gph, I think that would be a nice unit for my proposed tank, and at a price point that shocks me (like everything else in the hobby), but I can live with for this purchase.

How do you feel? Modular Marine vs. Synergy Reef overflows?

Thanks very much for your help!

-RCF

-RCF

Last edited by ReeferCatFish; 11/24/2017 at 10:53 PM.