Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/23/2016, 08:18 PM   #1
Reefer40b
Registered Member

Unhappy I messed up... advice?

So I had not 1 but 2 salinity\Alk swings in the same week, my ATO dumped twice(second time it was fresh real cold RO\DI water..) it was my fault and partially how I have my ATO setup(proximity sensor) will be fixing this in the neat future

Long story short acro's hate me right now, 90% of my SPS have had some sort of tissue loss... nothing else is even phased by it(mixed reef with everything)

My question is should I cut the white parts off(some tips which now have some algae on them) they do still have PE? What would you guys do? so bummed...

I have brought the salinity back up to 1.025 over a few days.

Reefer40b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2016, 10:27 PM   #2
xanthurum
Registered Member

I wouldn't do anything that could cause more stress

Current Tank Info: You want to know just ask
xanthurum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2016, 10:42 PM   #3
Rakie
In Memoriam

Don't do anything that doesn't involve getting params back in check, and do that slowly if you can.

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2016, 08:17 PM   #4
reefmutt
Registered Member

Agreed.. leave everything alone and concentrate on pure stability for a couple months.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2016, 12:32 AM   #5
Reefer40b
Registered Member

Thanks for the input, I happened to lose one of my blue ones lasted about a week, pink millie looks to be in recovery which is nice as he is one of my favorites.

Unread 01/07/2017, 10:44 PM   #6
Reefer40b
Registered Member

So, Im wondering if I should do a large water change or not?

SPS looked like they were recovering and things seemed to be good for a couple weeks, nothing has changed except more death for reason I do not know... The milli complete tissue loss over night, few days later bonsai complete tissue loss over night, now monti shelf that was recovering nicely went to work came back and complete tissue loss???
Zoas have started closing up here and there, toadstool no polyp extention...

SPS that look great are my stylo and pocoliaporas, big green shelf still looks good.

Decided to test ammonia since I have not done that since the cycle... and well it did show some green but Im not sure that is a true reading as nothing in my tank has died off?? I did dose some Fritz zyme turbo start just to be sure will test again in about 12hrs. Fish look very happy

I have kept the all parameters stable since then..
SG @1.025
temp 78-79
N03-5ppm
nitrite -0
will test the big 3 when Im off work

Unread 01/07/2017, 11:49 PM   #7
Rakie
In Memoriam

Well if you have ammonia that's not good. If you aren't running Carbon, start running Carbon. I'd also get a large water change ready, but make sure the problem isn't coming from your RODI system / water, or that will only make things worse.

Unread 01/08/2017, 01:17 AM   #8
Reefer40b
Registered Member

I am not running any carbon and never have, how much per gallon should I start out with?

Unread 01/08/2017, 01:41 AM   #9
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer40b View Post
I am not running any carbon and never have, how much per gallon should I start out with?
Everyone should be using carbon, or at least have it. It is a magnet for any junk in the water, and could help clear up whatever is in your water fairly quickly (if it were a contaminant, for example).

Somewhere around 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons or so is a starting point.

Unread 01/08/2017, 08:39 AM   #10
Reefer40b
Registered Member

Well I tested(salifert) the big 3 and here where Im at
Ca-480
Alk-8.3
Mg-1350

Prepping for a 20% water change now..

Unread 01/08/2017, 07:34 PM   #11
reefmutt
Registered Member

Slight ammonia, while not at all harmful to the corals, is probably an indicator that something is not right in the tank or it isn't finished cycling.
Sps can die weeks or even months after being shocked by something.
I'd say keep things stable for a while and try some sps corals in a couple months.
If other corals continue to do badly, a deeper exploration of potential issues may be in order.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 01/11/2017, 06:43 PM   #12
Reefer40b
Registered Member

Well I started the carbon in a reactor very slow flow after a good rinse, added 5 tbsp as I have 50 gallons of volume. I have switched it off for now

24hrs later after Duncan closed up, shrinking mushrooms, Zoas closed up... although SPS look to be improving

Cyano seems to have got worse also, I had little patches like size of a quarter now its like 5 quarters in size... I thought Carbon was suppose to help cyano..

Have not had to dose any ALk been staying around 8.0

Any other sugguestions?
For now I think im going to keep the carbon off to see what happens in a day or two

Unread 01/11/2017, 06:50 PM   #13
reefmutt
Registered Member

Carbon doesn't really do much for cyano.
Where's your po4?
Keep up with the wcs for now..

Unread 01/11/2017, 06:52 PM   #14
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Carbon doesn't really do much for cyano.
Where's your po4?
Keep up with the wcs for now..
Yeah I suggested carbon in the off chance something got in his water -- Like someone sprayed air freshener too near the tank or something.

I like to suggest Carbon as one of the first steps in solving unknown problems.. Because it could be a whole ton of things and when you're shooting in the dark, large water changes and carbon seem to cover a good bit of ground.

Unread 01/11/2017, 07:02 PM   #15
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Yeah I suggested carbon in the off chance something got in his water -- Like someone sprayed air freshener too near the tank or something.

I like to suggest Carbon as one of the first steps in solving unknown problems.. Because it could be a whole ton of things and when you're shooting in the dark, large water changes and carbon seem to cover a good bit of ground.
Absolutely. I agree. Carbon is a good thing to cover some unknowns

Unread 01/11/2017, 07:31 PM   #16
Reefer40b
Registered Member

P04(ULR hanna) measured 19ppb the first time. I then tested the same sample 3 more times after using a lint cloth on the vials and it showed 2ppb, 3ppb,2ppb this was tested 1 hour or so after feeding

Im actually going to do this test again it seems from reading on these forms using the 2 vial method is not very accurate...

Single vial test and got the same result 2ppb, it seems my vials are actually pretty well matched

Last edited by Reefer40b; 01/11/2017 at 08:04 PM. Reason: retest
Unread 01/11/2017, 08:07 PM   #17
reefmutt
Registered Member

well, can't argue with that!
seems to me you need to have some patience and just keep up with regular maintenance.

Unread 01/12/2017, 03:31 AM   #18
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
well, can't argue with that!
seems to me you need to have some patience and just keep up with regular maintenance.
^^^

The best reefing mantra there is -- "Only bad things happen quickly".

Unread 01/12/2017, 10:34 AM   #19
steallife904
Registered Member

Quote:
^^^

The best reefing mantra there is -- "Only bad things happen quickly".
I just had an issue a couple months ago over dosing ALK.... One of my SPS (pink birdnest) I have been growing and fragging for 8 or 10 years that was the size of a football............ gone. have a giant while coral skeleton in the tank. I left it there for a bit in hopes I would see some polyps pop back but its now growing coraline. Think I will pull it this weekend. Overall lost 75% of the corals. Stuff took me years to grow and died in days...... this hobby man! lol

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 03:53 PM   #20
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by steallife904 View Post
I just had an issue a couple months ago over dosing ALK.... One of my SPS (pink birdnest) I have been growing and fragging for 8 or 10 years that was the size of a football............ gone. have a giant while coral skeleton in the tank. I left it there for a bit in hopes I would see some polyps pop back but its now growing coraline. Think I will pull it this weekend. Overall lost 75% of the corals. Stuff took me years to grow and died in days...... this hobby man! lol
SAVE THE BIG SKELETON.

Put encrusting monties on it. You'll have the first ever branching BeachBum

Unread 01/12/2017, 07:54 PM   #21
Reefer40b
Registered Member

Quote:
SAVE THE BIG SKELETON.

Put encrusting monties on it. You'll have the first ever branching BeachBum
That's a great idea, yea they really can go south rather quickly!