Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2011, 10:52 PM   #1
blynch002
Registered Member

Chainlink eel and Humu Humu questions

I got a 12" chainlink eel and a great looking humu humu picasso trigger today and I am now wondering if I should move my clean up crew (mexican turbo, hermits, and nas. snails) to my 20 gal tank. Do you guys think there will be a problem with the predators eating up these little guys? The trigger already seems like he is pushing around the hermits so now I am curious.

Also, the picasso trigger has been in the tank about 4 hours so far and has already totally rearranged the substrate in my tank and made little mountains everywhere. Is that something I can expect from now on and should I try and flatten the sand back out?

Thank in advance...

An adventure is simply a well planned trip gone awry
- Anonymous

Current Tank Info: 75gal reef setup with 20gal DIY sump/fuge and a 20gal FOWLR nano
blynch002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2011, 08:56 AM   #2
TitanTV
Registered Member

the trigger will eat all your cleanup crew..sometimes people get a lucky hermit that learns to hide during the day and come out only at night after seeing all his friends eatten. Also your trigger may kill your eel or the other way around. A huma huma will get large enough in a 55 that he will be the only thing. Most will tell you that your 55 is too small but if you were to just have the trigger and an awesome filtration system you should be ok but I'd look to upgrade to a 75/90 or 110 if you could.

TitanTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2011, 09:11 AM   #3
rubensito
Registered Member

I'm having a similar issue with cleaning crew with eels, so I won't address that issue...but personally, I've never liked mixing eels in general with triggers, as the 2 times I've tried in the past end up with eels getting nibbled on.

rubensito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2011, 04:14 PM   #4
blynch002
Registered Member

My eel has what seems like a great cave that only he can get into. He has been hiding and only poking his head out. The plan is to upgrade to a much larger tank in the next year. Until then, it will most likely be just these two in this tank. By the way, when I got up this morning, 8 of 10 of my hermits mysteriously vanished. Someone had a good midnight snack.

- Anonymous

Current Tank Info: 75gal reef setup with 20gal DIY sump/fuge and a 20gal FOWLR nano
Unread 03/01/2011, 05:43 PM   #5
TitanTV
Registered Member

Hopefully the hermits are hidding. From what i have seen most of my triggers are not active at all during the night. The go to their sleeping spot and dream of clams or something. But then again Mr. Eel would probably be on the hunt at night so ya never know

TitanTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2011, 06:33 PM   #6
blynch002
Registered Member

Well I found about 7 empty shells and rescued the other survivors. I have one very large coral banded and I have heard that they are just aggressive enough to live with these guys but I don't think that's gonna be enough to clean the whole tank. Any thoughts on adding a starfish to this setup?

- Anonymous

Unread 03/01/2011, 06:36 PM   #7
blynch002
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubensito View Post
I'm having a similar issue with cleaning crew with eels, so I won't address that issue...but personally, I've never liked mixing eels in general with triggers, as the 2 times I've tried in the past end up with eels getting nibbled on.
Did you have a good hiding spot for your eel? It doesn't seem like the trigger would be able to get to the eel. Did you see your eel getting nibbled?

- Anonymous

Unread 03/01/2011, 07:51 PM   #8
rubensito
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynch002 View Post
Did you have a good hiding spot for your eel? It doesn't seem like the trigger would be able to get to the eel. Did you see your eel getting nibbled?
it's happened in multiple FOWLR setups, nothing recent, both times with niger triggers...saw it happen a couple of times during feeding time usually saw the edges of the fins nipped, never the eyes or anything serious.

rubensito is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eel, moray, trigger, triggerfish