Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/23/2018, 07:13 PM   #1
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Red dragon speedy 50 watt as return

Hi Slief ,

Is it possible to have a red dragon speedy 50 watt as a return for a 130 gallon tank with head pressure height at atleast 5 feet ?

I cannot have high flow through sump as am restricted by Theiling roller mat as it can accept only 500 gph input to it .

Regards,
Abhishek

abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2018, 07:23 PM   #2
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Forgot to mention that the returns will be divided to feed return loc lines at either end of the tank with 3/4 inch schedule 40 pipes .

Unread 11/23/2018, 07:26 PM   #3
slief
RC Sponsor

f your total head including friction loss is really 5’ then you would be OK assuming 900 gph is enough which in most cases it would be but most don’t take into considering friction loss when determining actual head pressure. You can use the calculator in the link below to get a better ball park of your actual head less. Just select the Royal Exclusiv RD3 50 in the pump selector pull down and fill in the rest of the fields to get an idea of the actual head loss. If it were me, I would likely go with the 100 watt and run it at a lower wattage unless the total headloss is really 5’ or less in large part because I’d rather have more pump than I need and run it at a lower power than one that is right at the edge that needs to be run at full power.

Head Loss Calculator
http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php...oss-calculator

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2018, 08:51 PM   #4
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Hi Slief ,

Thanks a lot man for the calculator . With all the vertical and horizontal head losses and taking the 90 degrees and ball valves and unions in view , it's actually exactly 500 gph leaving no room for error .

So like you said - might have to look into 100 watt .

You might have just saved me a very costly mistake

Regards,
Abhishek

Unread 11/23/2018, 09:03 PM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek@1985 View Post
Hi Slief ,

Thanks a lot man for the calculator . With all the vertical and horizontal head losses and taking the 90 degrees and ball valves and unions in view , it's actually exactly 500 gph leaving no room for error .

So like you said - might have to look into 100 watt .

You might have just saved me a very costly mistake

Regards,
Abhishek
Very glad to help. Most don’t take into account the impact the 90’s have on head loss let alone the other fittings like valves and unions as well as horizontal pipe. It adds up quickly resulting in much more head loss due to friction than most people realize. It’s a reason why I oversize my return plumbing as it can have a big impact on reducing friction losses.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 11/25/2018, 09:50 PM   #6
machodik
Registered Member

Dear All,

Due to my return pump is not in the list of the calculator, can anyone help me calculate possible head loss of the following details :

Pump : Fluval SP6
Vertical pipe length: 5’6”
Horizontal pipe length: 3’
Pipe diameter (entrance): 0.75 inch
Pipe diameter (exit) : 1 inch
No. Of 90 degrees elbow: 4
No. Of check valve(entrance) : 1
No. Of ball valve(exit) : 1
No. Of exit pipe : 1
No. Of entrance pipe:1

Thanks ,

MD

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

Current Tank Info: 90cmx60cmx60cm (420 liters total volume), 12mm thick tampered glass aquariums , Eheim compact +5000, Jns SK2 protein skimmer, T5 x 4 x39 watt (2 blue , 2 white), MP40WES, SEIO 1000, TLF 150 *2 + 550 *1
machodik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2018, 10:05 PM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by machodik View Post
Dear All,

Due to my return pump is not in the list of the calculator, can anyone help me calculate possible head loss of the following details :

Pump : Fluval SP6
Vertical pipe length: 5’6”
Horizontal pipe length: 3’
Pipe diameter (entrance): 0.75 inch
Pipe diameter (exit) : 1 inch
No. Of 90 degrees elbow: 4
No. Of check valve(entrance) : 1
No. Of ball valve(exit) : 1
No. Of exit pipe : 1
No. Of entrance pipe:1

Thanks ,

MD

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
With that pump, you will be pushing nearly 10’ of head with frictions losses. That pump has a 1.25” input and output and you are adding a lot of friction loss just by going with 1” on the output and .75 input. The four 90* fittings will also hurt flow a lot. Knowing your physical head coupled with the 1” pipe and elbows, I think you need to consider a different pump. Especially given you’re going to choke the intake off too. Either way, you really should be looking at a different pump or a smaller pressure rated pump given your plumbing.

Unread 11/25/2018, 10:16 PM   #8
machodik
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
With that pump, you will be pushing nearly 10’ of head with frictions losses. That pump has a 1.25” input and output and you are adding a lot of friction loss just by going with 1” on the output and .75 input. The four 90* fittings will also hurt flow a lot. Knowing your physical head coupled with the 1” pipe and elbows, I think you need to consider a different pump. Especially given you’re going to choke the intake off too. Either way, you really should be looking at a different pump or a smaller pressure rated pump given your plumbing.

Thanks Scott,

But I think too late for me to change the pump already bought and I not sure if have time to change or cancel the shipment.

Beside I need is a submersible one. The 90elbow should be only 3 but I add one to direct the flow away from direct down inside the tank that blow the sand out.

So any alternative? I wonder if I can re do the 0.75 inch pipe to 1.25”. Something I need to ask the tank maker .

Look at my overflow box spaces:

564817116.259905.jpg

564817105.566572.jpg

Cheers,

MD

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

Current Tank Info: 90cmx60cmx60cm (420 liters total volume), 12mm thick tampered glass aquariums , Eheim compact +5000, Jns SK2 protein skimmer, T5 x 4 x39 watt (2 blue , 2 white), MP40WES, SEIO 1000, TLF 150 *2 + 550 *1
Unread 11/25/2018, 11:27 PM   #9
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by machodik View Post
Thanks Scott,

But I think too late for me to change the pump already bought and I not sure if have time to change or cancel the shipment.

Beside I need is a submersible one. The 90elbow should be only 3 but I add one to direct the flow away from direct down inside the tank that blow the sand out.

So any alternative? I wonder if I can re do the 0.75 inch pipe to 1.25”. Something I need to ask the tank maker .

Look at my overflow box spaces:

Cheers,

MD

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
You have a sump and the pump is being submersed so there shouldn’t be a reducuction on the pumps intake. Still, the reduction on the output is going to hurt you bad with this pump. Especially with the 90’s but if your not reducing the intake, you might be OK since your tank is smaller.

That said, this isn’t Royal Exclusiv related let alone RD3 50 related and while I am always there to help you, especially since you’re a RE customer, this topic is much better suited for the Lighting, Flitration and Other Equipment section of this forum. Then you could get other peoples feedback too.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=212

Unread 11/25/2018, 11:50 PM   #10
machodik
Registered Member

Ops sorry , I forget I am in the wrong room. Thanks Scott , will take this up on the proper chat room .

Good luck Buddy !

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送