Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/03/2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Blue throat trigger 125 reef tank

I was thinking about getting a blue throat trigger male or a pair in my 125 reef tank. Tank is mostly SPS, few LPS and softies currently have shrimp goby/Randall's pistol shrimp pair, purple pseudo, desjardini sailfin, and yellow neon cleaner goby. Looking for anyone who has experience keeping these and if it would work. Plan on getting some chromis, orange shoulder tang, and a swallowtail angel female

Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2012, 06:44 PM   #2
crabbyreef
Registered Member

Hey Dmorty217,

Sounds like with the Tang and the Swallowtail you may be at the max? I mean I have a 90 and folks are are debating whether I have enough room for a Swallowtail alone with some Chromis and various small reef fish. Other thoughts??

crabbyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2012, 06:49 PM   #3
fishroomlady
Registered Member

I think triggers are too cool. I would probably X some of the additions to keep the trigger and the blue throats look to be so colorful. I have read where they are reef safe with what you have I think. Just my 2 cents...

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon wide reef tank
fishroomlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2012, 07:46 PM   #4
humaguy
Premium Member

no way in a 125....sorry...rethink tank....

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Yeah just saw a pair of blue throats in a 300g this morning they were huge never going to work. I am looking for more movement in the tank as far as fish go. All of my current stock list were purchased very small and I only have 4 fish currently with 185lbs of rock. The sailfin is the biggest at 3". As for the angel I meant a spot breast not swallowtail.

Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Wolverine
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by humaguy View Post
no way in a 125....sorry...rethink tank....
I agree. I like to see them in larger tanks, even if there aren't the other largish fish there.

Current Tank Info: 14g, 29g nano reefs
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2012, 08:06 AM   #7
vaporized
Registered Member

The trigger is a beautiful fish and reef safe. It will not bother coral, but may go after shrimp, and clams. I keep a niger trigger with a pair of clowns, tangs, fridmani psuedochromis, and flame angel. It doesn't ever bother the fish. Just feed it 2 x a day. My trigger even eats nori along with the tangs. I would say if it is a small trigger, it will be fine in a 125 gallon. Then it will get big. However, triggers are such ferocious feeders that it will be easy to trap when you need to upgrade to a larger tank. Keep in mind, these fish get very large, so plan for the future. You will need a bigger tank!

vaporized is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2012, 10:37 PM   #8
Triggerfish
Registered Member

kept one in a 125 for awhile.. fish became a damn terror didnt think it was underfed but it ate couple chromis took a chuck out of a watchmans head and bit the arse off a large bangaii. proceed with caution.

Triggerfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compatable, reef, sps, trigger