Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 04/23/2006, 03:18 PM   #326
patsan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
Blurry pic from 10 minutes ago through dirty glass.

Wow, I missed this picture. Brian, how do you get your rock so bright purple? Is that the way it really is or is it the lighting that brings it out like that?

Current Tank Info: spectator
Unread 04/23/2006, 03:22 PM   #327
patsan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H2OLUVSME
hi every one. glad to see there are still active contributors to this thread.

its not looking like im going to be getting back into reefing anytime soon, but i wanted to touch base and check things out anyway.

Pat, i like your swallowtail pics. back in Feb you made a comment about wanted a male really bad. im pretty sure that if you put another female in with the one you have one would change over. that LFS i shop at has four females in a display. one of them has been changing over the past few weeks and is almost a male now.

every one else very nice pics/corals/fish/etc...
Wow...another post I missed. I must not have been getting any email notifications that there were posts.
OMG that would be great if that would happen. It doesn't look like I am going to be able to find a male anywhere.....so this might be the only way to try and get one.

Unread 04/23/2006, 03:28 PM   #328
Safir
Registered Member

Sand (was a male, 10 months old) is actually our second rescued cat, and they are both very well behaved

you can see the entire rock that hitchiker coral is on in the lower left in the full tank shot - the polyps open up probbly 1/4" long, bright red and green - the rock is about 2.5" around and 4" tall and is covered on all sides by polyps. as far as what it eats, I do not feed it anything in particular, I feed a little bit of phytoplankton 2/3 days, with "reef chili" (see ebay) on the 3rd day, at teh same time I spot-feed the condy, stars, and any other carnivores with shrimp bits.. the clowns get tiny pinches of brine shrimp flakes 2x a day. I assume it and the many cup corals and tube corals eat the same food the other filter-feeders do, as they have been opening up and thriving from day 1, even through an ammonia spike i had after adding part2 (it sat overnight at the airport) Lighting is a single 175W 10K as far as photosynthetic beings go - the algae loves it (good and bad...)

Joey, our other cat:

Unread 04/23/2006, 03:39 PM   #329
bkelley02
Premium Member

Pat,

Most of my rock is covered with Pink and Purple Coraline. So for the most part, that's the way it looks in person. I have Radium Metal Halide Bulbs on the tank too so I'm sure that helps with how it looks though.

It's been a month now and the bugs are still gone! Those monti caps are growing good now so not too much longer.

I wish I wasn't so afraid to frag one of my other monti's. I have a Rainbow monti that's probably tripled in size in 2 months. It's already grown off it's own piece of broken rock and is now starting to cover the rocks around it.

Brian

Unread 04/23/2006, 03:43 PM   #330
patsan
Premium Member

Got a picture of it? No excuses....cause we know you have a nice camera!!

Unread 04/23/2006, 03:59 PM   #331
patsan
Premium Member

Safir.....is that an entire TBS tank?

Danielle, your sun coral is so nice. Mine never really opened fully. It barely opens at all now.

I can finally say that all the gorilla crabs are finally out of the tank. Haven't seen one in 4 months now. I only see porcelins and lots of them.
The orange pistol continues to molt every couple of weeks and is still crackling along.
So far all the fish have survived.
My zoas look like crap since putting them in that tank. The orange flower anemone, frogspawn and hammer is thriving. The candy cane is holding it's own, although I haven't seen any new heads. The brain coral is thriving also. The only sponge that's doing great is the brown and grayish color. There is a yellow ball sponge, but it's positioned underneath a cave, so you don't really see it unless you are closely examining the tank. The orange monti cap is growing too, but not a quickly as I anticipated. Most of the tube corals have perished. The lone surviving peppermint shrimp recently was discovered in the overflow. There are still hermits in there too.

Unread 04/23/2006, 04:11 PM   #332
bkelley02
Premium Member

Rainbow monti. Can't get the colors right. Need to spend time to get the WB right.

Frogspawn. Can't see it from this pic, but I started out with 2 heads. Now there are probably 4-5 new heads growing off/under each of the originals.

Unread 04/23/2006, 04:36 PM   #333
krajacich
Premium Member

Great pics Brian!

Pat- Are you still happy to just have the one tank or do you miss having his & her tanks? Glad you've been able to rid yourself of gorillas...I still have about 4 of them

Current Tank Info: 72g bow reef tank with TBS package
Unread 04/23/2006, 05:37 PM   #334
Safir
Registered Member

Pat - it is 40 lbs of arag-alive LS-in-a-bag 4 lb of sand from a local tank, 54 lb of "live" rock from a local, I use the term live loosely, as it had come from an established tank, but had been in a roughneck container with water and a powerhead for about a year, so while it still had a good amount of denitrifying bacteria ther ewas no coralline or any other hitchikers on it - once my cycle was complete with that I called richard and ordered just "part 2" of a 46G kit, so only half the rock and the critters are TBS

of course the soft corals/zoos/palys and my clowns are from local sources.

FWIW i got a mantis AND some gorilla crabs - lucky me.

Unread 04/23/2006, 06:26 PM   #335
patsan
Premium Member

I do miss my tank....but am glad I sold it. I think everything did better in my tank than Bob's....but I was also a fanatic with it...and that I don't miss.

Safir...you pretty much have what we have now in our 90g. I wound up selling my tank, and sold some of the TBS rock, and took some of my Marshal Island rock, and put it into the TBS tank.....
I have the bagged sand in my tank too. I didn't put any of that sand in the TBS tank, since we have so much in there to begin with. Richard had to have given us more than 90lbs. I also added 20lbs figi pink, so that tank should have 120lbs sand....I do think it has more than that.

I had gotten a mantis with each shipment of TBS, but was lucky and they didn't make it into the tank ever.

Unread 04/23/2006, 06:50 PM   #336
Safir
Registered Member

So Sand discovered the fish tank...

Next time we have some extra money I want to pick up a 12G nano-cube, stock it with just the TBS package and an "extra" piece of our base rock left over from teh big tank - nice and low-maintenance, but super interesting nonetheless

Unread 04/23/2006, 06:56 PM   #337
krajacich
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Safir
So Sand discovered the fish tank...
Too funny

Current Tank Info: 72g bow reef tank with TBS package
Unread 04/23/2006, 07:20 PM   #338
tspfish
Registered Member

That looks so nice Tom! Looks nice and colorful.
As far as the picture size, try opening up an account in photobucket. It's free, unless you decide to take out a premium account, which is only $25 a year, and you can put your pictures the size they come out of the camera without worrying about having to scale them down as much as you need to in RC's gallery. You can also resize them right within photobucket if you need to.
I'd love to see more pictures.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks a ton Pat, now you can accually see my pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is a great thread, I will post new pics as I get them.

Tom

Unread 04/23/2006, 08:32 PM   #339
skippy2
Registered Member

Safir: Your tank looks great. I love the pic of your new kitty with the tank. I wish my cat would wake up enough to notice my tank. lol
Meet Sid. My new yellow clown goby.

Current Tank Info: no tank
Unread 04/24/2006, 06:15 AM   #340
drk70
Premium Member

Don't feel bad Pat, all these posts and I only got one e-mail.

Nice pics everyone!

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Unread 04/24/2006, 06:27 AM   #341
patsan
Premium Member

Well that would be normal Dennis....to only get one email...until you open and view the post. But I never got any email that there were new posts since I last viewed.

Tom, much better with the pictures. I see all these new TBS pictures and they don't look like the TBS we got before all the red tide hit. The new TBS has lots of algae growth all over it. It almost looks like keys rock.
That cup coral is awesome....I never saw one shaped like that before out of all the TBS pictures I've seen.

Peggy, love the clown goby. I want a green clown goby. I actually did get one, but never saw it once Bob put it in the tank months ago.

Unread 04/24/2006, 06:48 AM   #342
bobt2
Registered Member

pat, rid of the gorillas, i doubt it! i thought so too. 4 months later i find one in my orignal 33 over a year old now.

Unread 04/24/2006, 08:19 AM   #343
patsan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
pat, rid of the gorillas, i doubt it! i thought so too. 4 months later i find one in my orignal 33 over a year old now.
I sure hope I'm right and you're wrong on that one Bob.

Unread 04/24/2006, 08:41 AM   #344
drk70
Premium Member

I still have a few of them and the last one I saw and couldn't get was full of eggs.

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Unread 04/24/2006, 10:03 AM   #345
Grand Wazoo
Registered Member

Hi all--I am new here and new to the hobby.

I am a TBS guy who hase been up and running for about 2 months with TBS rock and critters. I have no fish yet but have added a few frags. I have a question:

I have two toadstool leather frags that I've had for about a month and were doing really well with their polyps fully extended and blowing softly in the flow. I did a 25% water change Saturday and ever since they have closed up and have no exposed polyps.

Is this normal or are they on their way out?

TIA

Wazoo

PS--I know you guys like pictures so I'll put some up tonight.

Unread 04/24/2006, 10:08 AM   #346
patsan
Premium Member

Not sure about toadstools, but my finger leather sheds occasionally and won't have any polyps for a few days, and it always comes back to normal. It doesn't do it on any specific schedule.....just does it once in a while......

Unread 04/24/2006, 10:23 AM   #347
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Grand Wazoo

I have two toadstool leather frags that I've had for about a month and were doing really well with their polyps fully extended and blowing softly in the flow. I did a 25% water change Saturday and ever since they have closed up and have no exposed polyps.

Is this normal or are they on their way out?

This is fairly normal behavior for toadstools, especially if the water change water parameters were significantly different from your tank water (in terms of pH, Alk, Ca, salinity, etc). I try to get my WC water to the same temp and salinity and similar pH and when I do that my corals actually look BETTER after the water change.

Brian

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef with 29 gal sump and 8 gal Clownfish species tank
Unread 04/24/2006, 12:44 PM   #348
skippy2
Registered Member

Your toadstool sounds normal to me. The first time mine closed up it freaked me right out. It was a matter of a few days before they opened up again.

Current Tank Info: no tank
Unread 04/24/2006, 04:30 PM   #349
Grand Wazoo
Registered Member

As promised--beginners tank

using TBS rock-sand-critters as a basis.

That toadstool I asked about

And the tank today...

Unread 04/24/2006, 04:37 PM   #350
patsan
Premium Member

Oh, I love the color of your tube corals!! Mine were all brown.

What lighting do you have?

I like the way the tank looks now. Looks like lots of those fuzzers are gone now.

Closed Thread