Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Southwest Tank And Reef Society (STARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/03/2010, 10:07 AM   #1
psuedopimp
Registered Member

Know your equipment! kinda off topic

Okay so I was lucky enough to get to go turkey hunting this year. Since I received a new to me bow for christmas i was stoked to shoot one using it. i had been practicing with field points which were sold to me as 100 gr field points. the broadheads i was using were also 100 gr.

so we get to camp and the wind is miserable. the guide asked who wants to go out, and me and another guy were dumb enough to go. turned out to be a decent hunt. Im not a big blind hunter, so i wasn't looking forward to sitting still in a little hut for 4 hours.

so there i was sitting and three toms come in. the dominant one was strutting around at around 30 yards. the two others were in front of him at 25 yards. so i pull back and let the first arrow fly. missed right between his legs. so i nock another arrow and raise my point of aim. this one missed way low.
so i grab my 12 guage and blast the biggest one. after all i didn't want to go home empty handed.

So I being the male hunter guy that i am, i can't accept the fact that i suck, so it has to be the equipment, and here is why. after thinking about it for awhile, i remember that the dude at the archery shop sold me 100gr field points, but the reciept said 85gr. I thought it must just be an inventory thing and let it go. but i think they were 85 gr and that is why my broad heads flew so low. I should've shot the broadheads, but then they get dull and i don't have the right target for them and the list goes on.

so the point of this is know your equipment. your equipment whether cheap or expensive is only as good as it's operator, and you won't know the details from reading the manual or taking the guys advise at the shop, that comes from playing with the equipment yourself and figuring out how it works on your system.

Unread 05/03/2010, 11:27 AM   #2
Jay508
STARS Vice President

Great story.

I agree with your point though, that it is important to familiarize yourself with your equipment. Every persons reef system is different and what is working for one person may or may not work for another (this applies to equipment, treatments, etc..). But as mentioned in another thread I believe that, in this hobby, expensive equipment is justified, trying to cut corners can be costly in the long run and can be avoided with a little more up front cost.

I think that it is important for everyone to understand that there is no one right or wrong way to approach this hobby, rather there are as many different styles and opinions to reefing as there are reefers. Sure, there are some pretty general guidelines and basics to adhere to but after that it is trial and error, and Im sure we have all made a few mistakes, but are they mistakes if we learned something from them?

JMO....

Current Tank Info: One great big empty tank sitting in a room, one smaller tank (with water) in the corner of a room........
Jay508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2010, 02:54 PM   #3
psuedopimp
Registered Member

okay so i found the picture, they were there all along. even though i had to use the 12g and not the bow it was a fun hunt. Theres more than one way to blast a turkey.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 738.jpg (103.7 KB, 14 views)
Unread 05/14/2010, 07:42 PM   #4
strayvoltage
Registered Member

nice one!

strayvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2010, 09:23 PM   #5
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Yes, nice one!!!

Jay

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon, Marco Rocks, 8x80W ATI Powermodule, Apex, Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 external
jmait769 is offline   Reply With Quote