Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Southwest Tank And Reef Society (STARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/01/2014, 02:03 PM   #1
Peace and Fish
Registered Member

My 125gal Dream

Hello everyone as I mentioned in the intro thread my name is Jeff and I'm new to the El Paso area. I came into the hobby in March of 2012 and have been hooked ever since. So far my longest held aquarium was a 120gal reef which I ran for a year before moving. Made just about every rookie mistake you can think of so you can say I learned not just from reading forums, asking dozens of questions to other aquarium enthusiasts and countless hours of research, but also from my very own mistakes.

I decided to start a thread for a couple of reasons. First I want to have a place where I could keep track of my progress and have the opportunity to get advice and criticism at any time. Second, I wanted to give the opportunity for others to share their ideas with me or for those who are beginners (or even seasoned veterans) to take some ideas as well. However I must point out I am keeping this build as simple as possible at the moment.

Alright now to the fun stuff! I've actually been planning out this build for a couple of months. I had ordered new equipment and just received my last piece yesterday morning. I had actually planned to buy a tank only and build my own stand/canopy but ended up getting an amazing deal on a 125gal tank, which I originally wanted about a year ago when I bought my used 120. The dimensions are 72"x18"x22". I prefer a longer tank because I would like to keep at least 2 tangs. The stand and canopy are made of a really strong wood (don't know much about wood so couldn't tell you what kind of wood it is). The tank was drilled in the middle and has (2) 1" bulkheads and a glass overflow box. Included was a used 55gal aquarium to use as a sump, but I still have to add the baffles to it. Just finished sterilizing it with a bleach solution and a little bit of sun drying. The whole setup came out to about $550. Couldn't turn my back on that.

Equipment and explanation

Skimmer: Reef Octopus Diablo DCS 200 - went way bigger this time because I plan to keep a well stocked aquarium. I've made the mistake in the past of not listening to the rule of thumb that skimmers are usually overrated and ended up giving myself headaches. Also I know I tend to get bored easily so figured if I did upgrade I would not have to purchase another one for a while.

Circulation: Currently have one Vortech MP40wES. Thought I would keep the 120 and that would have worked. Seeing that I now have a 6ft long tank, I will buy another one when my bank account recovers from the move. For now, my Hydor Koralia Evo 1400 and whatever else I could find should help to supplement while I let my tank cycle for a few weeks, maybe even 2-3 months.

Lights: Have (2) Taotronics TT-AL09 (dimmables) that I bought a year ago for my now retired 120. The lights grow coral (especially softies) really well. However, the color spectrum of these lights sucks… I've compared them to higher end lights, and even diy fixtures with full spectrum and decided to get something better. I fell in love with AI lights after browsing around so decided to buy the Hydra 52. Unfortunately only had enough to buy (1) light but honestly don't mind since I won't be using lights for a while. If they look good, and most importantly, corals enjoy them, will probably buy two more, if not just regular Hydras since these might be overkill. Reason for buying? They look cool, the new Director is cool and I felt like spending a lot of money on lights. But not enough to convince myself to buy Radions.

Rocks: Bought approximately 100lbs of dry marco (I think) rocks. I have over 150lbs of rock from my old setup but definitely won't be using that as it was infested with algae and some with aiptasia. Actually ended up vinegar bathing some of them and sun drying for a week. Going to use most of my rock in the sump this time.

Other info: Will be using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. The brand has been good to me and have so far not had to dose anything, except for vodka at one point. It's also fairly inexpensive. Have some other maintenance equipment but I won't bore readers any further.

Last notes: Plan on doing small weekly water changes and a once a month 25% water change. My short time in this hobby has taught me that nothing fixes a problem better than a good old water change. As for anyone reading this thread, here is where you come in. I am in need of a new pump. Have a Rio 2500+ but that thing won't work for this setup. I've had a good experience with Rio and was thinking of going with a Hyper Flow 26. Seems inexpensive, low energy consumption (less than my 2500… hmm) and so far Rio has been reliable for me as long as they are kept clean. Please share your input on this or anything else about my setup. Will add pictures soon and hope to update regularly. Thanks for reading and happy reefing!

Peace and Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2014, 04:08 PM   #2
915MANG
Registered Member

Cool, Look forward to the build! I wanna see the Hydra 52s! Make a youtube channle

Current Tank Info: 120 Gal in progress Fish & a few corals 34G Solana
915MANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2014, 09:55 PM   #3
pnavarro170
S.T.A.R.S PRESIDENT

Sounds good ! post some pics for sure.

Unread 01/01/2014, 10:32 PM   #4
Peace and Fish
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies and reading! 915MANG: I have wanted to start a Youtube page. Maybe this is a good opportunity to put my (expensive) camera equipment to use For now, here is a picture of my new tank, stand and canopy. Been working (sluggishly) the past few days to get it up and running. Well here is a picture of the tank before I had started working on it. Thinking about doing a different canopy because this one doesn't have front doors, but rather on top. And very small. I'd also like to have my lights hanging a little bit higher.
IMG_4249.jpg

Unread 01/02/2014, 06:47 PM   #5
915MANG
Registered Member

Looks good!

Unread 01/04/2014, 12:50 PM   #6
Peace and Fish
Registered Member

Small Update

Hello guys! Small update today. After two days of being lazy finally decided put things together. Installed the baffles on the sump last night and picked up some 3/4in PVC pipes and fittings for the return. Decided to go with a simple sump design (like I said will be keeping this build simple for the sake of maintenance). Two sections: drain/skimmer section, which will have plenty of rocks in it as well in the hopes of having a minimal display, and then the return section. The (3) baffles, aka bubble traps, have 1.5" between each and 1.5" under the middle one. Skimmer section is thus approximately 32" in length and will be approximately 12" of water deep once full. The skimmer will be elevated 5" off the bottom of the sump to comply with the recommended skimmer operating guidelines of 6.5"-7" submersion in water. The last baffle is 10.5" tall. The difference in height was supposed to be only half an inch but I guess the glass store heard me incorrectly. I don't mind it, however I do hope the stand is tall enough to allow me some headroom to remove the skimmer collection cup By the way, bought my glass at David's Glass & Mirror total cost was $19. Great people! Sorry if I'm longwinded but like I said before I want this build thread to be as informational as possible to allow others to hopefully take away or put in information to give us all the opportunity to learn new things .

On another note, I need some advice or guidance. I purchased (2) clownfish 2 days ago from Saltwater Heaven for my then fish-less 20gal long aquarium and have a small dilemma. My wife noticed the clowns seemed a little "white". The lights in the aquarium were already off so I figured it was a normal color imbalance. The next day, yesterday, I did notice the coloring was not normal and it was a powdery white. The clownfish seemed happy so naturally I was dumbfounded. I have actually kept clownfish before and had to deal with their Brooklynella virus (disease?) and successfully fought it off with some freshwater dips. I have also fought a small case of ich with the same method over the course of a few weeks about a year ago. Well I didn't notice the coloring until after I got home from work around 6:30ish. Unfortunately one clown didn't make it and the other I have been successful in keeping alive and will continue the treatment until it is gone. Why is this story relevant? Because I want some advice from you ladies and gents. I'm sure plenty of you have more experience with, or even work at, the store than I have and therefore I want to ask; how likely are they compensate me for the loss? Some background info: The fish were slowly drip acclimated (as I always do with my fish) for about an hour to minimize stress. They were eating within 15 minutes of getting home. Tested my water immediately this morning and everything was stable. Notable parameters: Nitrates approx 20-40 (I can never tell the difference between those two colors. Phosphates closer to the second color, which is .25. These readings don't seem like they would kill fish, especially not clowns since they are capable of living in much, much more extreme situations. As I stated my wife noticed the white coloration the same day I purchased them so I highly doubt they were infected in my aquarium, which had no fish to begin with. I just don't want to go in there today and ask for some sort of refund (I know it's only $10 but still…) and be tooled with. I really love the fish store as they've been pretty cool thus far and don't want this to be why I would stop shopping there. If it would be pointless to address this with them, be honest as well.

Anyways, if you made it this far in my essay thank you for reading and stay salty!

Sump pic.jpg

Unread 01/04/2014, 01:45 PM   #7
915MANG
Registered Member

Hey Nice job on the sump. Where is Davids Glass & Mirrors located? What side of town. The skimmer section pretty large, why? Are you going to just have live rock in there no fuge? Let me know how loud the skimmer is, I have a Reef Octopus, and its pretty loud!
I think for the clowns, I would for sure say something. Even if its only $10, and especially if I had an established tank. Time for some garlic!

Unread 01/04/2014, 02:08 PM   #8
Peace and Fish
Registered Member

Thanks! My third attempt at a sump. David's Glass and Mirror is on E Paisano Dr. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's Central, towards south. Between S Park St and Tays, I believe. Yup going to have live rock and skimmer only in the sump and probably use filter socks when detritus goes crazy. Don't want the hassle of maintaining a "fuge" and going sand-less because I've had bad experience with sand, mainly because I hate syphoning it. Will let you know how the skimmer works once it's up hopefully this week, and yes I agree Reef Octopus do tend to be loud, I have a HOB one for my 20L

Unread 01/04/2014, 05:31 PM   #9
Peace and Fish
Registered Member

Another update! Productive afternoon thus far. Here are pictures of the drain and return dry-fitting. Once again I am keeping the design simple.

IMG_4275.jpg
The sump area
IMG_4276.jpg
I plan on buying a stronger pump in the near future so added a ball valve just in case I want to recirculate water back into the skimmer section, aka the pump is too strong
IMG_4277.jpg
My first attempt at this kind of return. I like the way it looks because it's almost invisible, especially when the canopy is attached. Hope I did it right...
IMG_4278.jpg
Here is the backside of the bulkhead drain. The drain is 1" so I added fittings and opened it up to 1.25" down to the sump not to increase flow (because it probably would not increase flow very much anyway) but rather add more room for the air/water to share and minimize noise issues. I hate the gurgling noises. If anyone has experience with this and think I have made a mistake, please correct me! I really do hate that noise! No water yet so still time to make changes
IMG_4279.jpg
Another photo of the drain down to the sump.

Unread 01/04/2014, 07:17 PM   #10
915MANG
Registered Member

Looks like the overflow is a decent size. I would put an elbow to one of your bulkheads. Add some pvc to where you want the max water line to be. That way its just an emergency drain, and you have a single siphon (Quite Tank).
Also if you can, get a gate valve on the drains so you can adjust the flow of your main drain. And add unions This is all dry fitted right?

Unread 01/04/2014, 07:30 PM   #11
Peace and Fish
Registered Member

Yup! This is all a dry fitting. So how do I determine which one to be the main drain line? Do I put elbow on both or just the one that I want to syphon? I appreciate your comments and input! I'm new to the whole bulkhead/drain thing Stay salty!

Unread 01/04/2014, 07:35 PM   #12
915MANG
Registered Member

Id put the elbow on the left. Since it is higher (emergency side/elbow), and leave the drain on the right alone. I myself hate loud tanks, took me a while how to do it on my own tank,lol. Long while,lol Now the loudest part of my tank is the skimmer! lol

Unread 01/04/2014, 07:41 PM   #13
Peace and Fish
Registered Member

Hahaha! Yes it is such a pain! Okay so just put an elbow and it should be good? Yea I setup my living room to be somewhat of a nice home theater area but of course the tank will be in the dining/living area so I am hoping I can get it silent to the point where it won't interfere with movie nights

Unread 01/04/2014, 08:05 PM   #14
915MANG
Registered Member

Yeah, do the elbow, and add a little pvc pipe, cut to where you want the max water line to be, should be a very small piece attached to the elbow.

Unread 01/04/2014, 08:06 PM   #15
915MANG
Registered Member

But an elbow should be enough to do it. If not then do the pvc pipe on it.

Unread 01/04/2014, 08:08 PM   #16
915MANG
Registered Member

Also, dont glue it in, should be alright with some teflon tape wrapped around the pipe. You wont need the tape for the elbow.

Unread 01/04/2014, 08:11 PM   #17
Peace and Fish
Registered Member

Cool I appreciate the advice. I feel like I learn something new in this hobby everyday Hopefully all my water is ready by tomorrow so I could do a freshwater run of all the plumbing. I stepped up most of my gear but kept my very slow 24gpd RO membrane… I've been making water since Thursday -_- But at least it's really pure! 0TDS! I think it's time for now.

Unread 01/09/2014, 01:29 AM   #18
Peace and Fish
Registered Member

Small Update: Have been working very late the past few days so no progress made until tonight. After days of making water I have decided to start adding what I have and just put the drip end of the RO/DI unit to the tank and just mix the saltwater in there. Put a 200w heater, powerhead and pump to circulate/mix the saltwater. Working on a more spacious canopy with front doors which I should have done by this weekend. Will post pictures up tomorrow, although they don't show much new. After all the water is done and mixed, which may not be until sometime next week due to my slow 24gpd RO/DI unit, I will place the dry rocks in, add some cocktail shrimp and put the aquarium in total darkness until approximately Feb. 10th. Stay tuned for further updates. Stay salty!

Unread 01/25/2014, 04:05 PM   #19
Peace and Fish
Registered Member

Update: PVC pipes sealed, overflow is quiet on the way down however, there is still that splashing sound in the sump. Have to figure out an economical way to silence that sound before I go crazy. Turns out the Rio+ 2500 is much too powerful for (2) 1" drains to keep up with… maybe I did something wrong with the drain? With all the 90 degree elbows involved, the split return, and 4' head loss I figured it would only produce about 300gph, maybe 400gph, and the drains should be well beyond that… Proved wrong because I have a section split off back into the sump just in case I bought a stronger pump and I have the ball valve almost all the way open. Can someone share their wisdom? Pictures to follow tonight to keep those that may stumble across my build entertained. Those of you with experience and ideas please chime in! Thanks for reading and stay salty!

Unread 01/31/2014, 10:33 AM   #20
pnavarro170
S.T.A.R.S PRESIDENT

Waiting for pics

Unread 04/11/2014, 12:16 AM   #21
Peace and Fish
Registered Member

Overdue Update

Ladies and gentlemen, especially those of you who have been following, if you still are, here is an update. Unfortunately recruiting duty has been extremely busy so have not had time to work on personal projects much. Also, as I stated during the beginning of the thread, I decided to do an all dead rock build and of course one of the consequences of that approach is the long cycle period. I finished the setup back in late January and up until about a few weeks ago I realized there was little to no progress on the cycle. (I thought it would be a good idea to do an air-cycle) My patience got the best of me so about two weeks ago, last week of March, I decided to add a dead shrimp to help speed things up. That did little to affect the cycle. I did notice a small spike in Nitrites but nothing to write home to mom about. It has been literally three months since I started the tank so my patience has obviously been obliterated. So I caved in and bought a few pounds of live rock from Saltwater Heaven on Saturday. I wanted the build to be as "sterile" as possible but oh well… the live rock sped up the nitrogen cycle and after testing everyday for the past couple of days the Nitrite period has finally come to an end. All I am waiting for now is the Nitrates to show so I can finally assemble my aquascape the way I want it and do a water change and hopefully add my first fish before the end of the month. I will hold true to my word and stock as slowly as possible to maintain system balance and be able to raise some SPS in the future. Will post pics by next week to show off how the tank looks and hopefully the aquascape I come up with. Thanks for reading and Stay Salty!

Unread 04/12/2014, 06:55 AM   #22
915MANG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnavarro170 View Post
waiting for pics
me too

Unread 04/12/2014, 07:41 PM   #23
pnavarro170
S.T.A.R.S PRESIDENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace and Fish View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, especially those of you who have been following, if you still are, here is an update. Unfortunately recruiting duty has been extremely busy so have not had time to work on personal projects much. Also, as I stated during the beginning of the thread, I decided to do an all dead rock build and of course one of the consequences of that approach is the long cycle period. I finished the setup back in late January and up until about a few weeks ago I realized there was little to no progress on the cycle. (I thought it would be a good idea to do an air-cycle) My patience got the best of me so about two weeks ago, last week of March, I decided to add a dead shrimp to help speed things up. That did little to affect the cycle. I did notice a small spike in Nitrites but nothing to write home to mom about. It has been literally three months since I started the tank so my patience has obviously been obliterated. So I caved in and bought a few pounds of live rock from Saltwater Heaven on Saturday. I wanted the build to be as "sterile" as possible but oh well… the live rock sped up the nitrogen cycle and after testing everyday for the past couple of days the Nitrite period has finally come to an end. All I am waiting for now is the Nitrates to show so I can finally assemble my aquascape the way I want it and do a water change and hopefully add my first fish before the end of the month. I will hold true to my word and stock as slowly as possible to maintain system balance and be able to raise some SPS in the future. Will post pics by next week to show off how the tank looks and hopefully the aquascape I come up with. Thanks for reading and Stay Salty!

Man you should have asked us, not sure what an air cycle is, but i also start the tank as you did and all you would have had to do is add some bacteria yourself and you could have added a fish same day. its different obviously with no live sand or rock but 3 months with nothing is no fun or necessary .

Unread 04/13/2014, 05:33 PM   #24
Peace and Fish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnavarro170 View Post
Man you should have asked us, not sure what an air cycle is, but i also start the tank as you did and all you would have had to do is add some bacteria yourself and you could have added a fish same day. its different obviously with no live sand or rock but 3 months with nothing is no fun or necessary .
True… I guess that would have been the smarter thing to do instead of waiting 3 months for cycle to make progress -_- oh well I guess…

Unread 04/14/2014, 10:12 PM   #25
Peace and Fish
Registered Member

Pics Update!

Well here are the long awaited pics. Unfortunately I had to use my phone so they are not the best pics but something to give an idea of how it all came out to be. Rock-work was kept simple and looks a little better in person but honestly not the best aquascape. I'm sure in a few months when they are full of corals it will look really good but I'll let you guys be the judges through time
IMG_4552.jpg
Here's the tank. Not the best shot, but you get the idea.
IMG_4556.jpg
An idea of what things look like inside the canopy. Better pictures to follow once I get my Camera lens working again...
IMG_4555.jpg
These are the current residents. (5) Blue/green Chromis. I love these little buys and seeing as they are usually the bullied, timid little guys I decided to add them first. Also they are very hardy so if anything should go wrong within the next few weeks, they will more than likely survive. I'll keep them and only them for a month or more to make sure things are good. Like I said before, I'm playing it very patient this time around.